Transfer to Army

Discussion in 'UPO' started by mead13, Sep 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, just looking for some advice.

Im currently serving in the submarine service but have become very unhappy and bored with life on boats. Great mates and money is good but the life is just so tedious. Am thinking of transferring to the Army as I feel I will get a more varied life and career.

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how to go about doing this?

cheers

2. Remember that bloke Ravers on Arrse who told you to ask your DO when you asked the same question an hour ago?

He was right.

Ask your DO.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Having said that, I still don't think you should join the Army not least as a Guardsman. If you think being a submariner is dull, just wait til you've spent 2 hours stood at attention in a pillbox 4 times a day for 6 months.

Seriously, have a look at going general service, you'll lose your submarine pay, but you'll gain runs ashore, sunshine, a varied lifestyle and a home outside Scotland. Yes you'll have to start calling officers 'Sir' and you'll have to polish your bats occasionally, but in the long run, it's probably worth it, merely so you can spend 6 months pissing up on sandy beaches instead of 6 months under the sea with a brief stop in the US to break up the boredom.

"Ooooh oooh but we get to stay in hotels when we get alongside."

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

That Ravers bloke knows a thing or two. I'd listen to him.

5. cheers for the advice guys

6. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Yer but Ravers is a Walt. Claiming to be an ex-WE and divvs - never going to happen.

7. Ravers is divs, if I was gay or female I'd let him do me. He wasn't a proper WE though, he was an OM who worked WE part of ship and then became an ET(WE) by default.

8. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Must make him some mixed up kid then, at first a member of gods own branch then with the halo over the hooks shinning as a beacon for him to move further and closer to Him he is cruelly denied and plummets down in to the man made fibre wearing hell of WE.

No wonder he got married to posh bird with a great arse.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

This thread reminds me of my primary school days & the game of "Tick" (or TAG) when you ticked the victim and uttered the line "No backs" to stop the perpetual-motion aspect of the game.

In the game of transferring between services, I'm all for it. It generates jobs and more amusingly, lots of admin for those who do not stand to benefit - always a test of the calibre of your DO. Are they a complete hoop or a genuinely decent individual?

To be fair to the DO, I`d always advise the person who stands to benefit (You), does the legwork and research -No good moaning if you don't get off your arse and facilitate the transition by yourself.

Once a person successfully transfers, they have what they desire at that time. If they later change their mind, fine, it`s their right but again, don`t expect anyone to fall over backwards because you are an indecisive person who is never satisfied, finds fault with others, but fails to recognise where the fault lays.

10. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I used to love having someone asking me as a DO if they could transfer to the Army/RAF because life in the Navy was shite. On the two occasions I can remember the details the people wanted out because they didn't like the time away from home and the constant bullshit onboard. Never really saw what they were hoping to achieve.

11. Id stay on the boats, or go GS as someone suggested. Dont think you'd like the Army...:rofl:

• Like Like x 1

12. are - you - mental?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, sounds about right. "Grass is greener ratings".

Over the ten years of recruiting experience, I always remember my (female) mentors term for those who flip between leaving, joining, re-applying, switching service, re-applying, leaving, re-joining individuals ; "Serial Applicators" , sometimes otherwise deemed time wasters.

I remember processing a guy who joined the Royal Marines three times in six years without completing training. Earned over thirty thousand quid in wages, cost over £20k in recruitment costs and got a right strop on when told to "do one" when applying a fourth time after opting out the first time, failing the second and claiming "compassionate" grounds the third time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 'Serial Applicator' Sounds like some sort of ladies hygiene product..

15. Ninja_Stoker

Gosh.

Never thought of that.

16. I was a matelot, got a son who's a matelot, outlaws who've been and are Army infanteers, and a son who's a Bootie. From everything I've seen and heard, the Booties seem less bullshitty, less shouty, less cleaning-obsessed and more time-offy, than other branches of the forces.

Have I got this right, I ask the panel? And what exactly is the OP hoping to get from the Army; what is it about it excites him so much?

17. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, I'd concur on the Booty outlook, but it's not for those seeking an easy life unfortunately.

18. Join the RAF, they are Hotel Dossing Crabby twats!!! :)

19. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You're not selling it, are you? If you try to make it sound more attractive then more people will want to join...

20. Wants to play with BANGy sticks?