Transfer Or Sign Off And Rejoin???

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Nosbaz, Dec 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all
    I apologise if this question has already been asked, I am currently serving with the Army and have been since 2007. I have just came back from HERRICK 12 serving with Alpha Company 40 Commando. Having been with the unit for 6 months seeing the way they operate. I now wish to join the Royal Marines, i want to start Royal Marine training as soon as. So would it be quicker/easier to transfer in service or sign off then apply to join the Royal Marines.

Any comments welcome
  2. You can't transfer. You have to leave the Army and re-join the Royal Marines. Speak to your RCMO about the process, and you'll need to do PRMC and all of your Phase 1 training at CTCRM - unless you are already Commando trained, and have completed CIC, in which case CTCRM will have to decide what training they want you to do.
  3. I thnik AtGs correct, but here's a bit of light reading for you while you wait for Ninja-Stoker or SuperMario (AFCO CAs.) to offer a shoulder to cry on. :wink:
    Transferring Sticky from Newbies Forum

PS. Congratulations on your conversion, better late than never. Here's stage one of transferring training.
    Can you identify this?
  4. The guy wants to transfer- you can show him your **** beads once he's in, you scoundrel.
  5. I have a friend who left the RLC on a friday and started at CTC on the monday. They said he coudnt do that but he did. They also said he coudnt have time off for his PRMC so he went AWOL lol.
  6. sounds like a really responsible well rounded fella.
  7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

There'll be a way of doing it.

Dont worry about everyones speculation, wait until Ninja Stoker or Supermario give you the gen.

Edit to add:

I imagine it's a well trodden path you want to start, it's not unusual to have ex pongos in recruit troops, some of the members on here are ex recruit troop training team staff so may be able to expand but in my experiance all ex pongos had to start training from day one. I know you're already a trained soldier but you'll have to suck it up and learn everything again. We have different standards and traditions from perce (you are probably aware of this now). They start in basic training. I did note though that the ex pongo recruits were given more responsibilities earlier in superviser/section commander/dogsbody 1st class...that sort of thing.
  8. Thanks everyone for the comments, Looks like signing off and restarting.
  9. Nosbaz

You will get a more detailed AFCO response on here in the next day or so, so be sure to check back again.

In the meantime, keep a note of these details - the CAs will be back in next Tuesday - there is a phone number on this link which you might find handy:

edited to add: there is also an e-mail address for them on there as well.
  10. Thankyou soleil, much appreciated i think im going to get all the info i can off here and the careers office, then ill know what to do once i get back to work after xmas leave.
  11. Ok if you say so. He asked for time off to go they said he coudnt apparently through a bit of a paddy, as he said he wanted to better himself. So he went anyway.
  12. wet_blobby

You never know Nosbaz your CO might well be under pressure to trim a few numbers from the ranks in lieu of the SDR. He may well look upon you as a bit of a win/win situation and give you as much help and encourement as possible.
  13. On the other hand, if he has the drive and determination to become a Bootneck then he may one of the people his CO wants keep.
  14. wet_blobby

Good point.
  15. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Indeed. Mind you, he can save all this signing off aggro and do All Arms P Coy or even apply for Pathfinders. Now they are are good bunch of lads.
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The above info is pretty much spot-on.

If you've completed CIC & All Arms Commando Course already, then the terms in which you join the Royal Marines are at the discretion of the RM Requirements Manager, otherwise, as stated previously, it's Recruiting Test, Medical, Pre-joining Fitness Test (PJFT: 2 1.5 mile treadmill runs, 2 degree incline, 1st in less than 12 mins 30 secs, 2nd under 10 mins 30secs with a 60 second break in between runs), Potential Royal Marines Course (PRMC), Security Clearance, entry.

In the ideal world, the parent Army unit gives manning clearance & permission to transfer whilst still serving - it's otherwise a high risk strategy leaving your current unit in the hope you pass selection. Often the parent unit is reluctant to lose an individual, & some people regard it as an admin nightmare, think it's too difficult & simply default by saying "no". But, it can be achieved, what you need to do is make it easy for your boss. If needs be you can complete selection elements whilst on leave, so you are ready in all respects to join, then all that's needed is manning clearance & a start date.

The big thing to remember is don't, under any circumstances, burn your bridges by blotting your disciplinary record in your current unit as you need their co-operation & also it's wise to leave the door open if things don't work out.

If you leave the Army, you can add at least a couple of months onto the selection process whilst your former Army documents are obtained & scrutinised before permission is gained to be processed to join the Royal Marines. Show-stoppers could be unspent criminal convictions or pending prosecutions, a record of financial irresponsibility, a poor Army disciplinary record, age (you must be under 33 at the start of training) and medical issues which whilst they may not result in discharge, would prevent the individual completing commando training (ACL, etc). Also, if you leave, you will re-join on the AFPS 05 pension scheme, regardless of your former pension scheme - that bit stays preserved but isn't transferable if it's the AFPS 75 scheme.

First port of call is your local AFCO - they open again on 4th Jan because we're still scoffing bloody turkey & stale mince-pies until then.

Best of luck.
  17. All good points, i suppose 29 Cdo is a option, but i think being and working with the Royal Marines has made me purely want to be a Royal opposed to a soldier who has passed the All Arms. Although 29 Cdo is a good regiment as alot of soldiers who go there wish to join 148 bty to get the naval OP Qual and be based in Poole with the SBS with a view to go on selection.
  18. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The RLC have a commando element to them so i wonder why he didn't go down this route.