Transfer offer received

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Richbomber, Oct 12, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So I received my transfer offer today from Army to Navy, there are no major surprises but some of the lingo is a little confusing. I'm going into the ME world as it's the natural (side) step from my current job however I obviously have a lot of things to learn in order to be as knowledgeable as my future peers.

I understand there are 3 streams in the ME world, Mechanical propulsion, Electrical and ships systems, as it was explained to me. I have been told I would be best suited to mechanical propulsion which I agree with. Can anyone tell me the names, numbers or abbreviation for each stream as my offer says ET ML. What does the ML stand for? Mechanical electrical?

I will have to complete the PO(ET)(ME) Qualifying course, I have heard this is in the process of being re witten, does anyone have any info in regards to course duration and any other relevant information?

Everyday is a step closer to some exciting new challenges, hopefully not too long now!

Cheers in advance!
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  3. heard a rumour that the foundation degrees on POET courses are no longer awarded.??
    bit of a sting in the tail
  4. Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if the course is being cut short, it wouldn't have the same academic stance. Hopefully the missing parts will be available on additional courses and the point still go towards the degree.

As per my question though does anyone actually have any info? So many changes in the ME streams and still happening now it seems.
  5. ML = Mechanical
    EL = Electrical

Normally just written as M or L.
  6. Ah Happy days, cheers Wrecker! Makes sense I guess!
  7. Not true...:)
  8. What do you know then trainer?
  9. Well I'm reasonably close to the inner circle on this pipeline......;)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Not even for WE?
  11. Well that's a bonus then! I'm now waiting for my medical, apparently they are few and far between and I may have to wait 2 month which seems a bit strange. I'm not sure why the Army medical centers can't complete them for us that are jumping ship as they do them for re joiners in the Army.
  12. That's not true
  13. Right then I have made a spread sheet with a load of acrinim meanings on them send me your email and I'll send you it. The Navy is full of them they love them haha. Takes ages to learn them all but I'm getting there, spread sheets a working progress
  14. ML is short for mechanical first letter and last letter. EL stands for Electrucal
  15. You're not ROMFT then Hooley? :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Just pm'd you Hooly :)
  17. See post #5 ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. that is what is being put out there with faraday etc
  19. Maybe he has a draft, DSMSMR RDP
  20. Too many Abbreviations again :(