Transfer from RM to RN

Hello all,

Wondered if I could get some information from some experienced minds. I'm looking to transfer over, I'm currently a RM VM but promotion is far to slow for my liking and the draft locations are becoming an issue on family life. I have a an idea of what I want to do but I'd like to see what people suggest that fits what I'm after.

The main criteria I need to fill is a semi fixed draft as close to plymouth as possible i.e. I don't move around the country every two years unit to unit.
Second would be big potential for promotion, I don't mind putting the work in as long as there is potential to promote and go far reasonable quickly.
Third but less important would be time away, ideally would like to spend as little time away as possible, maybe 2-3 months a year at the most.

I'm a very logical person, strong subjects would be IT, Maths etc physical fit (maybe need to cut back on the puddings a bit) I don't mind doing office work or getting stuck in. I've looked at PTI, RNP and AET and all appeals to me in various ways however I can't find much Gen information on them outside of the navy website. I will be going to see afco when I'm back in the UK but I know they tend to try and sell you what's needed. So here I am!

Thanks

PTI. There’s already an LPT who was an ex-RM VM kicking around.

Be warned, there is still a 2 year sea draft to get through, although I suspect if you volunteer for Plymouth you’ll get your wish.

metocman

Lantern Swinger
Photographic and HM schools are both at Drake. Would one of those trades suit? You could do your sea drafts out of Drake and be Guz based forever!

Become a civvy. That way you can do whatever you like. Transferring to the navy is probably not the best option as you will still have a seagoing responsibility regardless of what job you chose to do.

Excuse my lack of knowledge on the abbreviations guz, HM school's? I'm not completely against going on trips on sea, I'd just like to limit it. Currently I do about 6+ months a year away. However if I could promote and get the relevent pay I wouldn't mind... Going away plus no promotion potential combo is what I'm trying to avoid.

Guzz is jack speak for Plymouth, HM is Hydrography and Meterology branch, which doesn't necessarily guarantee a Guzz draft, but there again, no branch does.

metocman

Lantern Swinger
Hey Mango, sorry for the slang, HM for weather geek and phot is short for photographic, both small and specialized branches but both schools are in Drake/Plymouth. If you took positions on Plymouth based ships you could spend most of your career there like I did.

Hey Mango, sorry for the slang, HM for weather geek and phot is short for photographic, both small and specialized branches but both schools are in Drake/Plymouth. If you took positions on Plymouth based ships you could spend most of your career there like I did.
No problem, How does it work being positioned on ship? I'm my mind that means I'm sailing around the world for 2 years?

metocman

Lantern Swinger
No problem, How does it work being positioned on ship? I'm my mind that means I'm sailing around the world for 2 years?
I can only speak for HM's, you would be looking at working on Albion/Bulwark which for a former Bootneck should be familiar territory.

Assuming your assignment is for two years expect to be away for about half of that with the other half alongside in base port.(while being part of the duty roster which means there are still 24hr duties such as HQ1 or Gangway duties)

The other alternative for sea drafts is Mobile HM Teams which means being loaned out to frigates and destroyers for two years. A more transient lifestyle and impossible to say how long you would spend away from Plymouth. You might do one months sea time in a year or ten months. Depends on the demands from the ships for HM support.

As for Shore assignments the HM school is where you would do all of your courses and they have a few drafts available there also.

Last edited:
Whilst you may be unhappy with your lot in the Corps. I doubt that you will find what you are seeking in the RN
I don't mind the job I have currently it's mainly that promotion is non existent... I think from talking to some navy lads where I am now I've decided on AET or RNP... Does anyone know on what sort of choice you have over your draft in RNP?

If you want to stay in the southwest, WAFU will give you the best chance. although, nothing is guaranteed

On another note, you do realise that limiting your time away by transferring to the RN is a strange thing to do?

metocman

Lantern Swinger
If you want to stay in the southwest, WAFU will give you the best chance. although, nothing is guaranteed

On another note, you do realise that limiting your time away by transferring to the RN is a strange thing to do?
If limiting time away from Devon is the main motivation maybe a civilian job would be best. It could even be one of the civilian support jobs within MOD like MPGS or Flagship?