Transfer from Observer to Pilot?

dave54321

After trawling through threads there seems to be little on role transfers within the navy, and I wanted to know how possible this is?
I applied to the RN for pilot and despite passing the aptitude test, was recently offered a space at BRNC for Observer which I have accepted. I wanted to see if there are any opportunities to transfer from observer to pilot within the navy? Of course I'd be more than happy with a career as observer, but my ambition has always been to fly so wouldn't want to miss an opportunity. I've been told by my ACLO that this may be possible during grading, or possibly later on?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Waspie

War Hero
After trawling through threads there seems to be little on role transfers within the navy, and I wanted to know how possible this is?
I applied to the RN for pilot and despite passing the aptitude test, was recently offered a space at BRNC for Observer which I have accepted. I wanted to see if there are any opportunities to transfer from observer to pilot within the navy? Of course I'd be more than happy with a career as observer, but my ambition has always been to fly so wouldn't want to miss an opportunity. I've been told by my ACLO that this may be possible during grading, or possibly later on?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
Long time ago, but my old boss (Roy Lewis), was an Observer. Served on the RN's Antarctic Survey vessel. He transferred to pilot. I knew him on 819 NAS as a pilot. As I said, he was my boss on the SAR unit there. The pair of us set up Gannet SAR Flight Roy as the senior pilot. So it has been done!!

Last edited:

Latest Threads