Transfer from army to navy q's.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Barra, Jan 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I hope someone can answer a few questions for me. I am an ex Royal Signals soldier who left in 2003 and rejoined as MPGS in 2010 at a RNAS. Thing is, rejoining has stirred something up in me an I now realise I can offer a lot more than lifting a barrier up and down for the next 20 years. What I'd like to do is transfer into the F.A.A. And try for AET. Don't get me wrong, MPGS is easy and I get shed loads of time off but I want a challenge. So, can anybody answer me the following:

1. Would I be required to complete the full phase 1 training at Raleigh?

2. I have a SFA house and would I be entitled to it during phase 1 and 2 training? ( wife has her own career as a nurse here so this is probably the most important question)

3. Will I be able to stay on an equivalent pay increment or can I expect to drop wages?

I hope I haven't posted I the wrong bit or feel free to move this post.

Thanks, Barra.

2. Thanks for the prompt reply, I'll dig that jsp out and digest it on shift.

3. Can't resist it, you've been stirred and want a challenge. So you wave decided to be a WAFU?. I can't like this one I have to love it!

Seriously all the best with it and Ta for the smile it induced.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

1) Yep, if successful, you should expect start from scratch with Initial Naval Training.

2) For recruits SFA can only be requested after training is completed. If you are currently entitled to SFA through your job, then it would be worth talking to your Housing Information Centre to see whether you are entitled to extend the let during training: Ministry of Defence | MicroSite | Defence Infrastructure Organisation | What We Do | Accommodation | SFA: Points of Contact Usually, you are expected to live within a designated radius of your base area, after completing phase two training unless surplus housing is available.

3) Seniority for former service will be determined by the requirements manager when "approval to process" is sought. Without wishing to be overly pessimistic, a break in service since 2003 doesn't bode particularly well however, in all instances, assuming you pass selection, all recruits start on the New Entry Rate of pay & seniority (if awarded) is usually awarded after completing training. In most instances, even if granted, it usually only matches the last pay increment if the break in service is minimal (less than 5 years) and the individual rejoins as a trained rank in their original trade and branch of the service.

5. Ninja_Stoker

I'm advised they are a division of the Army, albeit on a Tailored Career, but payscales will differ with regard pay increment levels when compared to regular service. Any seniority awarded would be at the discretion of the requirements manager (above my payscale), but I would be extremely hesitant to suggest someone who is effectively an untrained rank joining the Naval Service could realistically expect a direct transfer to the RN on a comparable pay increment level. Generally whatever the source job, a re-join or transfer could at best only hope for a partial transfer of seniority after completing training. Essentially, expect the worst, anything better it a bonus, but nonetheless realistic.

Whilst I've transferred dozens of applicants with Army & RAF service into the RN or RM over the last 8 years, I've admittedly not yet transferred a MPGS person across, so it will be interesting to learn of any anomalies unique to MPGS.

6. Thanks for the info guys, to be a little clearer on the MPGS, we are regular Army, albeit on a different contract to most which means we are paid on a different scale. Something about us not being entitled to the 'x' factor as we are non deployable. I must admit my rank is still pte. And only on increment 5 anyway so it wouldn't be a great difference from a new entry.
    Seems the details I'd like confirmed are left to others discression and so there may well be a chance on things going my way on housing and wages but you're probably correct in taking the view as not to assume so and treat it as a bonus.
    perhaps the biggest stumbling block will be convincing the wife to gamble if I'm unable to confirm before.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Contact you local AFCO to see if you can sit a Recruiting Test before anything else - you'll then be aware of what jobs are available without risking anything.

AET is about a 30 month wait for a training place/start date, so obviously don't leave one job until assured the next.

Good luck.

8. Soooo.... Finally decided to see the AFCO today and sat through the presentation then filled in a form for the RT. that's when it went to shit, turns out at 32 I'm too old to go AET. Absolutely gutted as this job seemed to really tickle my nips. Pointed out all the recent literature online still says up to 36 years old but this turns out to be an oversight by the web update team.

A word of warning then to any readers in the same position, over the hill at 32 apparently !

Realise now that this is to be found elsewhere on this forum but how about a sticky pointing out the latest age restrictions for the various trades please admins???

Other options being explored but may have to stay as MPGS after all .
    Many thanks for the previous posts and info though, guess that's me done then. Out.

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Bad luck, fella. At least you tried (unlike some on RR who talk about doing this and applying for that, but never have the bottle to follow up on their actions...) :oops:Mind you, at 32-years old, surely you're a pup in MPGS?! :shock: :lol:

10. Unlucky mate.

AET is a gash job anyway. The real fun is in the Warfare and WE Departments.

Where else can you fire (and paint) massive ******* guns while hammered on cider?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Now that you mention it where is Chico, still running Eddie Stobart's lot for him?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Why not transfer to the RAF Regiment, the operational wing of the MPGS.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!