Transfer from Army/RAF to Royal Marines CO?

TVRJamie88

Midshipman
I don't know what SF is (I'm guessing Special Forces), in which case I don't understand the comment - surely the best way to get infantry-style action is to join as infantry? However, I get the gist of what your saying and thanks for your honesty. Seems aggressively pessimistic though. I have no 'expectation', just aspirations (cheesy but true).

BristolBastard

Midshipman
I don't know what SF is (I'm guessing Special Forces), in which case I don't understand the comment - surely the best way to get infantry-style action is to join as infantry? However, I get the gist of what your saying and thanks for your honesty. Seems aggressively pessimistic though. I have no 'expectation', just aspirations (cheesy but true).

I think he was trying to say that you are too old to join the infantry, so your next best bet would be to join an arm that has higher age parameters and then attempt SF selection.

TVRJamie88

Midshipman
Haha, either I'm missing the point or I'm lost in the sarcasm. I'm not too old for infantry or the marines, I'm only 26. Feels like you guys have retired me already :D

Jellicoe

Badgeman
I think he was trying to say that you are too old to join the infantry, so your next best bet would be to join an arm that has higher age parameters and then attempt SF selection.

That's exactly what I was saying. 26 isn't old for most things in the world at large, TVRJamie88, but it's fairly old for joining the military, and certainly old for infantry or pilot.

Haha, either I'm missing the point or I'm lost in the sarcasm. I'm not too old for infantry or the marines, I'm only 26. Feels like you guys have retired me already :D

You're not, but you *are* too old to be a direct entry officer in either.

Last edited:

BristolBastard

Midshipman

For Direct Entry Officer into an Infantry regiment or into the Corps as an Officer, 26 is too old. You would need to join and then pass officer selection once you are already in the army or Royal Marines.

TVRJamie88

Midshipman
Ahh Ok, got it. I thought you were saying that I was a write-off for any infantry based role, officer or not. Like I say, I've got no qualms going in as a commando, just looking for the best option as:

26 isn't old for most things in the world at large, TVRJamie88, but it's fairly old for joining the military, and certainly old for infantry or pilot.

-In that case I hope to bring experience and worldliness :)

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
-In that case I hope to bring experience and worldliness :)

And thats what the Military wants in some branches - Engineering/Logistics spring to mind but in other areas because we're developing such an old demographic there is a move to push down the age limits to draw in only younger recruits.

By 26 your average Officer has 4-5 years service, Ratings up to 9 years, so you are at a slight disadvantage in career terms. The aircrew age is a filter, just like eyesight (as you'll notice a lot of spectacle wearing aircrew) - it just inhibits and filters out people which is needed because so many people apply.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.