Tranfer to surface fleet

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by yorkie73, Oct 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, I am hoping someone can help, I have so far been in the RN for 7 years (submariner since the start) now for a varity of reasons I am wanting to transfer to surface fleet, is this even possible?

Many Thanks

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  2. In my day we had a bloke called a Divisional Officer who sorted out those questions, they were helped by a place called the UPO who had up to date access to the relevant documentation. Have you tried that route?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yeah, just boot your DO's office door open (that's not a euphemism) and say 'Wrecker L' from Rum Ration said it was OK.

Sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I managed it in 80 after 14 years in boats, the buggers at centurion told me i was going to faslane on those great big black things with no runs ashore. No I'm not sais he. So skimmers here I come. Enjoyed it funnilly enough, and all it took was a request form.

5. Thanks I will try, my main reason for wanting to move over is my wife is (since the birth of our baby) having some quite major health issues, if we where in Pompy she would have much more support then being stuck here in Scotland, I did bring my wife's health to the attention of my LO who basically said "she isn't going to jump off a bridge, you only have a year left on this boat then your not my problem, just tell her to take the kids and move 500 miles back home" so you may understand me asking the procedure here first as his reply was hardly supportive.

I would like like to move over for myself as well but mainly for the greater good of the family

she on the advice of her doctor called NPFS today who basically said so what do you expect us to do about it?

after never asking anything of the RN or welfare services and never having a day off, never causing a problem, always doing my sea time and more time away to help out I have been pretty disappointed with what's happened so far.

I did get the impression it was pretty impossible to leave submarines but here's hoping

Thanks

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As long as you've done your 5 years on boats and completed any return of service for additional professional qualifications, you should be able to put in for a routine draft to GS.

NPFS aren't going to leap in and remove you from a boat if there are workable solutions. If your wife has serious health problems that genuinely require your prescence, then NPFS are absolutely spot-on, but if they think you're simply trying to use that to manipulate your circumstances to your advantage, then they tend to be less sympathetic if it means having to crash draft some pour soul to fill your billet early out of turn because you've decided boats no longer suit your lifestyle.

7. I would like to add that, unfortunately for your DO, you ARE his problem whether he likes it or not, it's just one of the many jobs he has to do as an officer. From what you've said here it sounds like he is going to be a bit pissed off but you need to try to keep the moral high ground and keep him on your side...might be worth dipping into BR 3 for the relevant quotes to help him out...good luck, hope all goes well.

8. Thanks I have certainly done all required return to service, Like I say she went to NPFS after the GP recommended it , it's certainly a very genuine case as she wouldn't be under GP, Other NHS care professionals and be on all these medicines if it wasn't, in fact the boat is slowing up now so if I was just a simple case of wanting off then I would of tried it ages ago but we have been trying to make it work as our children are settled in school etc here but her health is suffering. I have been the poor soul crashed billeted and also extended in the Middle East due to a welfare case I certainly wouldn't do it if I didn't think it was required. Thanks I didn't know it was a routine form.

9. If your DO actually gave you this response he needs to thoroughly reassess his suitability to wear the rank. I would strongly suspect that using the CoC in this case, (having already brought it to the attention of your DO first) might result in him getting an XO shaped boot into his arse.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Where there is a will there is a way.
    if you want it, you will get it.

I know of people that have done it and know people that are doing it now

seems people are flooding away/wanting away from the SM service right now.

If you joined up as a submariner, the rules are quite tight/non existent on being allowed to transfer to general service. If you came to sub from ships, you are entitled to go back after 5 years as a qualified bubble head.

however, I believe that a change to BR 3 is soon to be released. One of the changes (i believe) is a relaxing of such rules on transfers (of all kinds).