Training

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Mailak, Feb 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm intrested in joining the rnr and have been reading up on it but 1 thing I am unsure of is about Training. Is there a legal requirement for your currant Employer to give you time of to train or is it something that needs to be agreed between the 2 of us?

Midweek training is fine for me but I might struggle to get the weekend of to train unless they have to give me the time off.

Thank you for any help you gave give me.

2. Hi Mailak.

Your employer will understand that you need to go on this training, ask your careers adviser for a letter for your employer if needs be.

Hope this has answered your question.

(name removed by passing Mod for PERSEC reasons. Think before you type!!! Then do the 3hour MoD protecting info thing us regulars have to do)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
  3. The actual answer is that there is no requirement for your employer to give you holiday to train at weekends or for the two weeks. Some employers are more generous than others. As well as talking to the AFCO you should ask your employer what their policy is for the reserve forces. The RNR does require some commitment, and hopefully your employer may recognise the benefits that this brings.

You may also want to talk to Sabre (www.sabre.mod.uk), as they may help your employer understand the benefits of reserve service.

4. davidm13 have you hers of persec? Now the world knows you are maskerading as an officer.

5. Have you heard of English? It's masquerading.

6. Join the RNR and just take as much time off as you need. If your employer complains, explain that you now play a vital part of UK security and if he doesn't give you the time off you'll have him shot by Mi5. Remember the RNR comes first.

Be sure to decorate your desk with phots of you in uniform stood next to ships and posing with guns. Everyone needs to know that while they are pissing up at weekends, you are providing the blanket of security under which they sleep.

Probably best to start liberally sprinkling some Jack Speak in amongst your normal office chat too.

7. I work in retail so dont have a desk :(

The company itself is pretty good to work for unfortunatly my currant Personal Manager is crap and isnt really a "people person" so I can see her trying to make it difficult for me.

I will have a word with her today though and see if I can get her to put it in writing that she will support me.

Thank for the help :)

8. Just to let you know im not a RN/RNR officer, im a sea cadet corps (SCC) officer.

9. Oh dear......

10. o god another youth worker pretending to be an officer.

Spelling, no sorry thats wot chiefs do I only just pased the reading bit!

11. Told my Personel Manager when I first got in on Monday that I needed to speak to her and she spent the rest of the shift avoiding me for some reason. Will try to catch her on Saturday as that is when we are both next in.

12. I've been thinking about joining the RNR for about 3 or 4 years (all sorts of practical reasons why I haven't yet, that are besides the point of this post). The thing that gets me is that you probably get more sea time and (if you're into it), more chance of playing at being a marine engineer or mariner or stevedore or something in the TA than in the RNR!
    I'm not selling the TA here, but when you look on their site, they'll actually train reservists and give all sorts of quals and things that are useful for work in real life, anything from driving tests to C&Gs and NVQs. Is it just that the RNR isn't advertising what it offers to reservists, or is it just not as interested in doing that as the TA?
    I'd prefer to join the RNR, but "challenges and cameraderie" are a tough sell to an employer, whereas tangible technical training that is applicable to work isn't. Weighing up, the Army appears to kick the Navy's arse on this. Have I got my facts right?

13. Thanks for your reply, I'm not sure there's any need for hundreds of lines of hyperbole. :)

Of course I've looked at the roles, visited the unit (I even used to visit regularly as part of the Army side of the local OTC), chatted to more than one long-term member etc..., there's no need for the trolling.

I'm merely making some relevant observations:

1. That when looking at the Army website, and the TA job/branch descriptions, they list a range of job/branch-related training, that in some cases leads to bits of paper; the RNR does not (RAuxAF mentions it a bit).
    This is a relevant observation because when the issue of discussing leave to take part in reserve forces training with your employer, and you wheel out the well-worn marketing of all the soft skills you get, it's hard to see many employers being particularly interested, as they have businesses or departments to run, with budgets etc... (I assume you are probably aware of this, but I'll spell it out anyway for clarity).

2. As we have voluntary forces in the UK, there is a real or implied contract with any type of service: a recruit gives their time and whatever skills and experience they have, and the state provides suitable training within the national frameworks both to enable the recruit to perform the tasks within their role; and, to give the training added credibility and relevance to civvie street (partly to aid recruiting and retention).

I doubt many people join the reserves for the money or even the chance of getting qualifications, but, an obvious part of the marketing is the dimension of adding value to each recruit as an employee in civilian life, along with the sport, adventure/"challenges", travel, cameraderie/teamwork etc...

Let's be frank, not every employer is pro-reservist, or interested in the military marketing, and whilst that might be a shame, you have to be pragmatic, and if you want to get the chance to serve, whilst keeping your job, it would seem to make sense to look for something that can have a tangible benefit to you as an employee and provide something that is of interest to an employer.

I merely observe that the Navy/RNR seems to offer much less than the other two, which is frustrating for people who might have useful skills and experience, and who would like to be part of the Navy in some way.
    If you like (marine) engineering or technical hands on work, or spending time at sea, I can't see anything on offer at the RNR, but a noticeable amount in the Army... I'm not trying to run the navy down - I want to see this sort of stuff on offer, but if it isn't there, and they don't want to or can't offer what the TA can or will, then it's worth pointing it out.

I do happen to think it's perfectly reasonable to get some qualifications as part of your role as a reservist: they wouldn't be free, you earn them through training and making a legally enforcible commitment to deploy.
    Seems to be a commonly-offered deal in other military forces in other countries.

Does anyone know if the RNR indulges recruits with anything like this?

14. ...oh and the other point "3." was that it seems to be possible to get more actual time deploying and training at sea on a vessel with the RLC than with the RNR. I hope I'm wrong.

15. Cheers for the thesis, makes your "hundreds of lines" comment a little ironic.

Likewise "indulges" is about right, the only pieces of paper you need as a reservist are the ones you need to do your job as a reservist. If you took on a part time job at Tesco to supplement your income from your main job would you expect them to indulge you with a qual or three?

Your argument is so pretty lame; are you sure it's not you that's trolling?

16. :thumright:

17. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

The RNR does the jobs asked of it by the RN. Thus far, none of these jobs involve engineering. They do involve doing jobs in roles which have a reasonable chance of deploying in most cases to do something punchy. I'd rather do my reserve job for real than sit on a TA weekend collecting badges and bitching about the lack of chances to deploy...

18. <sigh> Here we go...

No it doesn't, your lack of understanding what irony is, is what is ironic. Please read before leaping to someone's defence.

Yes, because I understand the difference between raising a relevant point or relevant statement in a post, and indulging in thinly-veiled ad hominem comments whose focus is to derail the thread onto a personalised trollfest based on not reading and understanding a post.

You didn't indicate which "argument" you were referring to, but if it was the statement: "I do happen to think it's perfectly reasonable to get some qualifications as part of your role as a reservist: they wouldn't be free, you earn them through training and making a legally enforcible commitment to deploy. Seems to be a commonly-offered deal in other military forces in other countries."
    Then you are welcome to open up another thread to discuss that, I asked what the situation is in the RNR, and how it compares to the TA, and whether the situation is similar, but not advertised.

The term "pretty lame" doesn't really make any sense without any context, does it. It more accurately describes your straw man "argument" here:
    Because, as is openly stated on the TA website, some of the bits of paper that are the ones you need to do your job as a reservist are also civilian qualifications. Did you read that bit of what I wrote? Or are you just here to contrive a witty put down?

If you are seriously trying to compare working part-time at Tescos with being a reservist, that sounds like you are trolling.

Correct, there were not hundreds of lines of hyperbole; nor was I asking for hundreds of freebie qualifications - do you understand why I responded with "hundreds of lines of hyperbole", because you were using hyperbole by saying "hundreds of freebies", and you used the word "hundreds", is that clear now? It's called facetiousness, and is the only reasonable response to hyperbole. I'm trying to get you to stop derailing the thread and respond to the questions and points I made - it really is that simple.

The reason why it was a trolling post was that you added:
    The latter part you made the assumption that I hadn't bothered looking into anything, and you attempted to belittle me, which is what I regard as trolling, because it's provocative and not a constructive response to the question. There's no need for that, is there.

Correct, I phoned up and asked the recruitment bloke.
    No I didn't, read it again.
    Now you are shifting the goalposts. This isn't a debate about whether the RNR should or shouldn't train people for technical and engineering roles as they do in the TA; it's an enquiry about whether they do or do not - it's that simple. We've established that they don't.
    I merely pass comment that it's a bit nonsensical for marine engineers to have to join the army reserves rather than the navy reserves in order to deploy their skills; and a bit counterintuitive to find that you would get more sea-time in the TA than the RNR. You can reportedly even get your OOW in the TA but not with the RNR, by all accounts, which is decidedly odd, when you can be an RNR officer whilst under training or working as an OOW in the MN (unless you're in the RFA).

Fair enough, we finally got to the answer... it might have been quicker to have said that in the first place, instead of going all playground on me.

What a pity. Is that because you don't know the answer to any of the questions that I've asked?

19. That's your prerogative. Mine would be to do something that I've got skills and experience in. There are usually good reasons for "collecting badges" in terms of being able to do your role (OOW being a case in point).
    What I'm querying about is whether the RNR does things in an analogous way to the TA, given that in one small part of the TA, they appear to do things that you might expect to see happen in the RNR, that's all.
    In terms of deployment, my focus is on establishing how frequent deploying on a vessel, and going to sea, is in the RNR, compared with other options. What I've found so far, is that roles and training one might expect to see available, are only available with the TA. I'd be interested to hear what actual deployed roles people in the RNR have had that is probably different from what might happen in the TA.

I imagine that different TA units will have deployment levels relevant to their levels of trained people in particular trades at useable levels, when and where the trades are needed, and the parts of the Army the unit is attached to. The part of the TA that I'm referrring to (the RLC) that does stuff I expected to see the RNR do, is small, and probably won't have the same sort of deployment type or level that a larger, more widespread category of unit might.

None of this adds much to answering the original questions and points, though.

20. Prosman, you really have too much time on your hands all this quoting and counter argument.

Please not the 'you don't understand irony' counter to deflect the fact that you wrote more than SJRM whilst criticising him for writing for writing too much without demonstrating awareness of having done so.

Let's get down to basics (because I obviously can't cope with your intellect - that's sarcasm; I hope I got that one right)...

You appear to have reached the conclusion priror to your first post that the TA offers you more than the RNR. You appear to be swayed by the civi qualification prospects. You appear to be bothered about what your employer thinks. You have stated that you are a procastinator of the highest order (3 / 4 years sorting out practicalities and still not joined up!). Conclusion - You have no interest in serving and you are interested in the reserve forces for what you can get rather than what you can give. Your responses to date demonstrate you lack the ability to get on with others who don't share your views and fail to acknowledge mistakes you make. Not very promising really...

What is your motivation for wanting to join the RNR?

What, beyond being able to string together a sentence, do you feel you will contribute?

Do you really believe that spurning the experience of those who have served / are serving on the basis that it doesn't align with your own views is the best way forward?

Can't wait for your next essay (that's more sarcasm, but I stand to be corrected). Sarcasm, 'the lowest form of wit'; here's another question am I using it because it's all I'm capable of, or, am I doing what I was taught at school and tailoring what I write to my audience, i.e. you?

• Like Like x 1