training

tommy_mod

Newbie
i see from the website and the leaflets that the officer training is "the same" as 'ratings' what does this mean, do they all train and live together through basic 34 weeks and then officers stay on for 52?

and when do they start ? when is the next few before september '07?

also, i knwo from the army what its like for the new recruits in training at sandhurst for the officers, is it similar? private room ? and what are the breaks and holidays we get in training?

any thoughts welcome
 

chris

Midshipman
tommy_mod said:
i see from the website and the leaflets that the officer training is "the same" as 'ratings' what does this mean, do they all train and live together through basic 34 weeks and then officers stay on for 52?

and when do they start ? when is the next few before september '07?

also, i knwo from the army what its like for the new recruits in training at sandhurst for the officers, is it similar? private room ? and what are the breaks and holidays we get in training?

any thoughts welcome
firstly, ratings is a navy term, and means basicly an entry level soldier who has completed training.
i ******* doubt you get a private room as an officer in training. RM officers are supposed to be royal marines plus some. they do the same commando tests, but have less time to do them.

as a RM officer i would expect to rough it, and you probably will get a similar standard of housing in training as recruits do.

also mate, you probably have a cat in hells chance of getting into officer training before september. applying to be a normal royal could take you 6 months, and officers have an AIB to pass on top of all the other stuff.

seen as you know so little about the selection or training courses, are you sure you have the required level of fitness?
if your expecting to pop along and have tea served in golden cups, your well out, as it will probably be the toughest time of your life, until you hit RT that is ;-)
 

chris

Midshipman
ok, seen as thats not good enough, and how you obviously know that these are bone questions, or you would ring AFCO with them.

firstly, the type of accomodation should be pretty irrelevant. as long as it doesnt leak (much), has beds and everything neccesary, its fine. if you want your own private room and butler, go to a hotel. you will have to be able to live in the field for decent lengths of time on active duty, so if having to share a room is a problem, living under a bivi or hole in the ground is going to really get to you. i dont see why you should care. i would join the marines if they all live in bloody igloos. you join for the life, not the pay and accomdation.

all about officer training: http://royalnavy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.5392

your focus should be on getting physically and mentally ready, not setting a date to do it all by. if you have the fire in you to drive you to become a RM you would be happy to wait as long as it takes.

your focus is totally wrong, its just like the guys asking about whether the green berets come in different sizes or how big the commando dagger is.

as with starting dates, it varies on how long it all takes. the application to become an officer has more stages then to become a normal royal. everybodys time is different. some people take 3 months, some take a year.
 

carlm

Lantern Swinger
tommy_mod said:
so you dont know, your guessing, can any officers answer this.
Have some respect chris was trying to answer your question as best possible, lose the attitude :evil:
 
I

In_my_day

Guest
chris said:
tommy_mod said:
i see from the website and the leaflets that the officer training is "the same" as 'ratings' what does this mean, do they all train and live together through basic 34 weeks and then officers stay on for 52?

and when do they start ? when is the next few before september '07?

also, i knwo from the army what its like for the new recruits in training at sandhurst for the officers, is it similar? private room ? and what are the breaks and holidays we get in training?

any thoughts welcome
firstly, ratings is a navy term, and means basicly an entry level soldier who has completed training.
i ******* doubt you get a private room as an officer in training. RM officers are supposed to be royal marines plus some. they do the same commando tests, but have less time to do them.

as a RM officer i would expect to rough it, and you probably will get a similar standard of housing in training as recruits do.

also mate, you probably have a cat in hells chance of getting into officer training before september. applying to be a normal royal could take you 6 months, and officers have an AIB to pass on top of all the other stuff.

seen as you know so little about the selection or training courses, are you sure you have the required level of fitness?
if your expecting to pop along and have tea served in golden cups, your well out, as it will probably be the toughest time of your life, until you hit RT that is ;-)
Royal Marines Young Officers (YOs) neither live nor train (some exceptions) with recruits. They train for approximately 16 months and live in single rooms (not en suite as yet!!) in a wing of the Officers Mess. They join once a year, the intake being called a "Batch". The trg is similar in the early stages but obviously progresses beyond what is expected of recruits (eggs available on request!).

Recruits join in Troops every 2 weeks (again occasional exceptions) do 32 weeks trg and live in multi-bed rooms. There are some much improved blocks at CTC with more on the way.

There are pre selection courses for both routes. Details of the training are freely available if you look at the various Corps and MoD websites or speak to the AFCO.

Servicemen don't get holidays; they take leave and at CTC it is block leave, Easter, Summer and Christmas. There are other long weekends (you finish Friday lunchtime!) during trg.

IMD
 
I

In_my_day

Guest
tommy_mod said:
THANKS,

when are the intakes?, ive got my potential officers course pencilled in for april or may.
August, the POCs are timed to select for the start of the course.

IMD
 
I

In_my_day

Guest
[/quote]

There are pre selection courses for both routes. Details of the training are freely available if you look at the various Corps and MoD websites or speak to the AFCO.

[/quote]

RTFQ

IMD
 
No offence to tommy_mod but from my understanding it's much more than just turning up to get anywhere near being a YO. There's a hell of a lot of preperation involved. I'm not, or never have served, but am hoping to become a YO after i've finished University.

I'm currently at a good University, studying for a degree in engineering and am in my penultimate year (i'll graduate in 2008 with an MEng). I've always had a good level of fitness but have started to train and prepare myself over the last couple of months before i've even applied. Until I've started my application and testing process, I won't know if what i've done is enough, but i hope it is.

I'm not trying to have a go at you or impress anyone, I just think from what i've read (and my understanding) that you could do with reading a bit more into what it actually takes.
 

slim

War Hero
Stewed-Ant said:
No offence to tommy_mod but from my understanding it's much more than just turning up to get anywhere near being a YO. There's a hell of a lot of preperation involved. I'm not, or never have served, but am hoping to become a YO after i've finished University.

I'm currently at a good University, studying for a degree in engineering and am in my penultimate year (i'll graduate in 2008 with an MEng). I've always had a good level of fitness but have started to train and prepare myself over the last couple of months before i've even applied. Until I've started my application and testing process, I won't know if what i've done is enough, but i hope it is.

I'm not trying to have a go at you or impress anyone, I just think from what i've read (and my understanding) that you could do with reading a bit more into what it actually takes.
When you have attained these qualifications why waste them by joining the Royal Marines? It would serve you better to utilise them and apply for a position as an engineering officer in the RN.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Completion of training facility at RAF Waddington MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint approach to training gets international recognition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: launch of ‘help us say yes’ online training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Training for Security Control Room Operators in Responding to Terrorist Incidents – We would like your views MoD News 0
soleil P. News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Leaves Portsmouth For Training With US Marines F-35" The Fleet 8
N HMS Sultan Simulator training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
P Training leave Joining the Royal Navy 8
B Can I wear athletic tape during Royal Marine Commando training ? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS UK launches multinational training to enhance Ukrainian Navy against threats from the East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Troops reach training milestone ahead of UN Peacekeeping deployment to Mali MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ride Free: new online motorcycle training to improve road safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Theory tests and motorcycle training and tests to restart in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New teacher training inspections to focus on the ITE curriculum MoD News 0
Z Logistics Officer Training RFA 4
MoD_RSS Improved training to reduce conflict in youth custody MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Psychological first aid in emergencies training for frontline staff and volunteers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CT training at your kitchen table MoD News 0
soleil Forces TV: Basic Training At HMS Raleigh: "We Can't Afford To Stop". Bases / Shore Est 7
crash_evans How is the RN training new recruits while social distancing? Joining the Royal Navy 10
MoD_RSS Government outlines conditions for elite athletes' return to competitive training MoD News 0
O Change of service in training Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS Government guidance to help Britain's top sportsmen and women to return to training safely MoD News 0
soleil Forces News: "How Is The Defence Animal Training Regiment Working During Lockdown?" Current Affairs 1
U PHASE 2 TRAINING Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS Coronavirus precautions on the Defence Training Estate MoD News 0
T Systems Engineer Officer Training and Beyond RFA 2
MoD_RSS Supplier chosen for new defence training agreement MoD News 0
N Phase One Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
I Pay in Phase 1 and Phase 2 training for a rating Joining the Royal Navy 35
H Basic training rent, submariner rent in faslane Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Access to online counter terrorism training made easier for home users MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The UK completes training of Somali National Army battalion in Baidoa MoD News 0
soleil FB: HMS President - ‘Dunker’ Training At RNAS Yeovilton Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
R Phase 2 training at HMS Sultan Joining the Royal Navy 0
MoD_RSS Gaming technology trialled in training UK Armed Forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Trentbarton provides training for wheelchair and mobility scooter users MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Former Government training centre sold to provide new homes and a retirement village MoD News 0
T Physical Training Instructor Direct Entry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
BFRS Naval Specialist Training Instructor Opportunities The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
S Training for PRNC Joining the Royal Navy 7
1 Packages in basic training Nearest & Dearest 11
MoD_RSS Government considers more flexible training for healthcare professionals switching discipline MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Every child in England to be offered cycle training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Training children to cycle safely MoD News 0
soleil FB: RNAS Culdrose: "820 Naval Air Squadron Training In The Mist" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Forces Network: "Navy Veterans Join Future Sailors For Training On Dartmoor" Bases / Shore Est 1
MoD_RSS Ofsted consults on changes to inspection framework for teacher training MoD News 0
C Last time a squadron of ships sailed together apart from the Dartmouth Training Squadron in the 1960's Miscellaneous 7
MoD_RSS £183 million boost for military helicopter training MoD News 0
9 Warfare Training Pipeline Joining the Royal Navy 1
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top