Training

Can anybody explain DUDT in training, ultimately whose decision is this?
Also is it normal for one person to have a different punishment for the same misdeamor, eg additional training

WreckerL

War Hero
DUDT is what it says,Discharged Unsuitable During Training. The final decision is taken by the Training Commander, or relative school Commander based on student history (number of warnings or exam failures) and Divisional staff recommendations so although two people may have the same offence, for example, one may get put on a charge, the persistant offender will get DUDT'd

Same with exam results, if two fail the same exam,one may be a first time failure,another constantly failing exams.

I was a DO at Raleigh for 3 years and discharged a few DUDT and the decision is not taken lightly, it costs the MOD about £7k just to get them to Raleigh so it's a last resort and not a good return on the investment.

Drakey

War Hero
Can anybody explain DUDT in training, ultimately whose decision is this?
Also is it normal for one person to have a different punishment for the same misdeamor, eg additional training
Additional training a punishment?? Surely this would be to the benefit of the trainee

Sorry not to well put just enquiring about some people getting DUDT and others getting back classed with additional training for exactly the same failure.

WreckerL

War Hero
Sorry not to well put just enquiring about some people getting DUDT and others getting back classed with additional training for exactly the same failure.
As I I said, it's all down to their training record. If you're asking on behalf of someone with a view to complain, make sure you get the full story. The situation you allude to doesn't happen.

I’m sorry it’s not to well explained and yes I’m asking for someone. There were no other failures or warnings just one specific part of training, despite showing considerable improvement throughout that led to DUDT with a recommendation to re apply after 6 months when I believe 2 weeks intensive training would have resolved the situation.
I appreciate all your comments and advice, I have no military background and what has happened is a big shock just trying to get my head round the situation to see if there is anything we can do.

WreckerL

War Hero
From a fair bit of experience with these things, I have to say that what you're told generally isn't the full story of what's actually happened.

As I said earlier, DUDT isn't taken lightly and is a last resort. I had many phone conversations with upset parents who were quite surprised when I told them what had actually occurred, suffice to say it was a fair bit different to what their sons had told them!

Waspie

War Hero
I would imagine there are other factors to which you are not being informed or are not common knowledge.
It may be that whilst the same reasons were quoted other factors such as a students attitude toward training or perhaps discipline were taken into account.
Remember, you are only getting one side of a story and probably quiet biased given the circumstances.

Thank you, I’m careful on how I’m wording for obvious reasons, if I said it wasn’t kit musters, uniform, military training, swim test or IMF it leaves one thing I’m sure you can figure out, something easily remedied with a bit of extra training.
One last question, are the time recommendations for DUDT set in stone or is it worth speaking to AFCO. We were told 6 months.

Just showed your reply to one very young upset person. Despite being DUDT’d very recently has already registered an interest with the AFCO to get back to Raleigh and made plans to address their failings and get back on track ASAP.
Thank you

WreckerL

War Hero
6 months is quite a low time tbh. I've DUDT'd people with a time scale up to 2 years,a few of them with "never" as well so it wasn't a major DUDT problem for your young person, maybe just not ready yet.

Running quickly was the issue. We are where we are I suppose and like you’ve pointed out it’s 6 months and not a never. Onwards and upwards and as I pointed out I know nothing about the military other than Raleigh being a rollercoaster of emotions for parents
I appreciate you answering got a clearer idea now of things and the way forward

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
As ever, there's always at least two perspectives when someone is discharged from training.

What is related and what actually happened may not always be the same. Generally people are given the opportunity to address any shortfalls, several times before a person is DUDT. Often they are given 3 or more attempts over a period of time...

Whilst it may seem that others were treated differently at the point of discharge, in my experience all recruits are treated equally (it's the law), so two people failing the same criteria element of training under the same circumstances will have had the same number of opportunities to get it right, despite what they may think or state to the contrary.

Drakey

War Hero
I’m sorry it’s not to well explained and yes I’m asking for someone. There were no other failures or warnings just one specific part of training, despite showing considerable improvement throughout that led to DUDT with a recommendation to re apply after 6 months when I believe 2 weeks intensive training would have resolved the situation.
I appreciate all your comments and advice, I have no military background and what has happened is a big shock just trying to get my head round the situation to see if there is anything we can do.
How long did the person you are asking for have to prepare for the navy. Consider the line in the sand to be the date they applied. This is more than likely to be several months which is plenty of time. How would two weeks intensive training improve their chance when there is no package at Raleigh for additional intensive training.

From PRNC, one week to start at Raleigh. I understand what you are saying but I believe two weeks remedial training would have resolved the issue because of the margins involved.
It is what it is and been accepted now just difficult for a young person to take and me as I’ve no military background.
Thank you

I was asking for advice and we have identified our failings and will seek to address them, we don’t not want to rock the boat but get back on course to succeed and realise a young persons ambition

Waspie

War Hero
So, what intrigues me is; why doesn’t this ‘young person’ argue their own case rather than a concered 2nd party. Is their interest in a career in the RN not perhaps as passionate as the OP’s?