Training with man flu!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Honour_Courage_Respect, Dec 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it advisable to train while i'm ill? I imagine its a bad idea, but i've got my POC coming up at the end of january and i feel as though every day missed is affecting my chances.
    This is the third day of it now and its really starting to take the pi$$
    HCR

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Given that no concessions are given for unforeseen interuption to your training programme, it may be best to make a judgement call whether you have sufficient time to regain your targetted fitness, or whether to perhaps defer your POC.

As POCs run fortnighly, and the AFCO is shut 19 Dec to 05 Jan, it may be wiser to make a call sooner rather than later. There's nothing to be gained training whilst ill.

Good Luck & Get Well.

3. My advice (NON MEDICAL TRAINED) would be to sweat it out by training. You aren't going to be able to sit out some of your recruit training because you have man flu (and believe me, I know how bad that can be!) and don't feel up to it.

Once in, and I hope you make it, you will quickly learn to take brufen for knocks, hangovers etc and lemsip style capsules if needed, and get on with the job.
    (Not having a go by the way) :)

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Contrary to popular belief, we even advise people with heavy colds not to attend PRMC because they won't pass it if they can't breathe properly.

5. I'm going to try and go for a run later tonight, see how i feel.
    I really dont want to push my POC date back if possible.
    Is two days out of training despertaly bad? As my POC date is the 26th January.

6. Oh stop pandering to him, he admitted he has man flu, it is likely only a light sniffle.

For goodness man, get a grip and get out training and stop dripping!

7. Rosina! Its MAN flu, he needs a lie down and soup. And Lucozade....and a bell

Unprofessional opinion- Lammers makes a good point, if you join up, you will have to take injuries and illness in your stride, perhaps not the smartest way but its the Pusser way. You can only go to sick call when you are too sick to attend. Cruciate ligaments? Dont need those...
    Ninj also, but I might add that a guy showing up for PRMC and infecting his whole class with Flu would be as popular as a fart in a citadel airlock.
    I personally don't think two to three days out of training is a big loss in a long term program, but even if you cant do running or VO2 max exercises, you can still stretch, do situps and pressups, lunges etc to keep limber and take a bike ride if its not too parky out. Since you have probably four weeks after you get well, I don't think it will be too bad. Make up with a run on Xmas afternoon, and one on Boxing day, one on New years day, and there's three days you probably would have sat on the couch watching Bond or the Von Trapps.

Duty Clubswinger, close up at the rush......

8. Perhaps I might allow him a bowl of porrige, as that is my father's cure all for all ills - colds and flu, broken hearts and broken legs.

9. Dont train mate. A week or so out of your training schedule wont make that much difference and it is unadvisable to train if you have a respiratory condition.

Take a break

10. If you have a raised temperature then don't train until it's been normal for 24 hours.

How fit do you need to be for the POC?

11. I don't know how fit exactly, im just going for broke and aiming to be as fit as possible, hence why i dont want to take too many days from training! (even though it is man flu)

12. A vindaloo and a crate of Guinness - sorts everything. Although, by the time you've got over the hangover and the trots, the man flu would have moved on anyway...

13. Believe me i've been called out to worse!!!