Training starts now.

Darbi

Midshipman
Ok it's offical i start my eat healthy diet today as well as my daily excersie and when possible (work permitting) trip to the gym/pool.

Even been up since 05.30 figured if i was gonna do this might as well do it right.
Also spent the morning hours till it get's light (when i can go for a run) doing those brain training thing's. Which from the look of it i need to do :?

Going next week to my Local AFCO to get the info i need and the forms.

Any tip's or anything else i should think about learning?

Ironing/sewing are my main concerns as i'm shite at it :p But then that's what my granny's for if i ask nicely i'm sure she'll help out ex-wren and all.
 
Darbi said:
Ok it's offical i start my eat healthy diet today as well as my daily excersie and when possible (work permitting) trip to the gym/pool.

Even been up since 05.30 figured if i was gonna do this might as well do it right.
Also spent the morning hours till it get's light (when i can go for a run) doing those brain training thing's. Which from the look of it i need to do :?

Going next week to my Local AFCO to get the info i need and the forms.

Any tip's or anything else i should think about learning?

Ironing/sewing are my main concerns as i'm shite at it :p But then that's what my granny's for if i ask nicely i'm sure she'll help out ex-wren and all.

I fckn hate January!! All the gyms and running routes are crammed with lycra-clad fat bloaters, who are "in the zone" to shed some pounds as part of their new years resolution!! Give it a month and all will be quiet and the pie shops will be busy again though!!

Darbi, don’t try a dramatic lifestyle change - that’s when people fail!!! If you exercise 3-4 times per week and eat a balanced diet you cant go wrong. By diet I don’t mean fckn cabbage soup or the atkins crap, I mean a balance between carbohydrates, protein, essential fatty acids (EFA's), water etc. 4 meals per day, not huge portions (you should never feel full and bloated, just not hungry) and LOADS of water!!

Also, try incorporating exercise into your general lifestyle. For example, If I cant train due to other commitments I run or cycle to work. If Im sore from training and cant go to the gym, I walk the 6 miles home from work. By doing this I arrive home refreshed, de-stressed and in reality it doesn’t take much longer than the bus!!

Forget pracising sewing - its not rocket science. Ironing however is a different stoty!! Go to your grannys/mums/sisters, get there ironing baskets and do it all for them. All those trousers with creases up the front/back, blouses, shirts etc will sort you out in double quick time.

The hardest part about eating healthy and exercising is the first month. It hurts and your body craves all the crap you fed it over Christmas. Just break it in gently and stick with it until its part of your everyday routine. It’s the people who go for an overnight lifestyle change that fail - and anyone who says "Oh I start my diet on Monday" is a fckn waster!! Even worse are the people who say "Oh I start my diet on Monday so Im going to stuff my face this weekend - well it’s the last time I will get to eat all the nice things!!" BOLLOCKS IT IS!!

Good luck matey. If you need any specific dietery advice or phys plans, drop me a PM.

Spenny
 

chris

Midshipman
i believe sewing and ironing are taught in the first couple of weeks in RT.

i think ironing and sewing is probably the last thing to worry about. you wont get turned down a place because you cant do some running cross over double loop stitch or whatever.

fitness and mental preparation are probably better to concentrate on.
i think that as lots of recruits are 16-18, they dont expect you to be able to do all that homecare stuff. how many 16 year old do you know that do their ironing?
 
chris said:
i believe sewing and ironing are taught in the first couple of weeks in RT.

i think ironing and sewing is probably the last thing to worry about. you wont get turned down a place because you cant do some running cross over double loop stitch or whatever.

fitness and mental preparation are probably better to concentrate on.
i think that as lots of recruits are 16-18, they dont expect you to be able to do all that homecare stuff. how many 16 year old do you know that do their ironing?
Very true, however if you can already iron when you turn up on day one, think of how much easier it will make your first few weeks in basic training.

The amount of stand down time that Recruits waste ironing there kit over and over again to get it right is crazy. All that time you could be sorting your other admin or resting!!

Fitness and personal admin go hand in hand, so get them both sorted and you cant go wrong.
 
spenny said:
I fckn hate January!! All the gyms and running routes are crammed with lycra-clad fat bloaters, who are "in the zone" to shed some pounds as part of their new years resolution!! Give it a month and all will be quiet and the pie shops will be busy again though!!
LMAO :lol:

spenny said:
Very true, however if you can already iron when you turn up on day one, think of how much easier it will make your first few weeks in basic training.
I agree.

If I get in, I'll be 100% prepared this time!
 

Dozer

Newbie
Ive been reading up on marine trainin and standards and was wondering if any1 of you ex marines could tell me bout suming. I came accross a section in the training that requires you to go through an underwater tunnel. 5 meters long I think it said. Was wonderin, those of you already done it. Whats it like? Is it hard to do? How much space inside? I have a small clausterphobia issue and Im worried bout that.
 

ET(WE)Sutton

Lantern Swinger
you dont need to change ya lifestyle that much mate


get up that early closer to your date but do start proper exercising but i also recommend gettting into a good routine like get up at 6 make yaself a full fried breakfast then chill watch the tv then go for a run then a swim.... go to work have a nice lunch then come home work on ya press ups and sit ups and go for another swim (swimming can get you extreamly fit even if your just pissing about).

go home make tea and just chill out... cut down on alcohol that fucks up routine (hangovers and shit)... sounds like a mad routine but thats what work funnly enough..
 

Shakey

War Hero
Dozer said:
......requires you to go through an underwater tunnel. 5 meters long I think it said. Was wonderin, those of you already done it. Whats it like? Is it hard to do? How much space inside? I have a small clausterphobia issue and Im worried bout that.
I haven't done it, but I imagine that when the adrenaline's flowing you'll probably be in and out in under ten seconds and be running towards the next obstacle.

But like I said I've never had to do it so I could be talking out of my stern gland.

Why not try reposting this question on the RM forum? Then you'll get the authentic answer.
 

ET(WE)Sutton

Lantern Swinger
shakeys quite right there you would prob worry everyday till you got there then when it came to it your adrenelin would just fly through it..
 

ex-sparks

Newbie
Dozer said:
Ive been reading up on marine trainin and standards and was wondering if any1 of you ex marines could tell me bout suming. I came accross a section in the training that requires you to go through an underwater tunnel. 5 meters long I think it said. Was wonderin, those of you already done it. Whats it like? Is it hard to do? How much space inside? I have a small clausterphobia issue and Im worried bout that.
Stop worrying. Did cdo course number of years ago. The tunnel u refer to is'nt that long. If u go first an instructor pulls u thru fm the far end, once thru u pull the next man thru. If they let the royal princes have a go it cant be that bad. U are thru in less than 5 seconds, stop worrying & enjoy the buzz when u get your cdo berry. best of luck
 

Darbi

Midshipman
I find getting up at 5.30 going for a run and eating healthy easier if i just go straight into it, i know if i do it gradually it never works for me.

But thankyou for the advice i have a diet plan which is balanced, which is good coz i hate all that rabbit food crap.

And now i fixed my bike i'm using it to get around everywhere.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS News story: Work starts on new £4 million kitchen and dining area to boost training facilities at Nesscliff MoD News 0
soleil Navy News: "Work Starts On New Sea Training Complex At Raleigh" Bases / Shore Est 1
MoD_RSS Joint approach to training gets international recognition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: launch of ‘help us say yes’ online training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Training for Security Control Room Operators in Responding to Terrorist Incidents – We would like your views MoD News 0
soleil P. News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Leaves Portsmouth For Training With US Marines F-35" The Fleet 8
N HMS Sultan Simulator training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
P Training leave Joining the Royal Navy 8
B Can I wear athletic tape during Royal Marine Commando training ? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS UK launches multinational training to enhance Ukrainian Navy against threats from the East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Troops reach training milestone ahead of UN Peacekeeping deployment to Mali MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ride Free: new online motorcycle training to improve road safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Theory tests and motorcycle training and tests to restart in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New teacher training inspections to focus on the ITE curriculum MoD News 0
Z Logistics Officer Training RFA 4
MoD_RSS Improved training to reduce conflict in youth custody MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Psychological first aid in emergencies training for frontline staff and volunteers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CT training at your kitchen table MoD News 0
soleil Forces TV: Basic Training At HMS Raleigh: "We Can't Afford To Stop". Bases / Shore Est 7
crash_evans How is the RN training new recruits while social distancing? Joining the Royal Navy 10
MoD_RSS Government outlines conditions for elite athletes' return to competitive training MoD News 0
O Change of service in training Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS Government guidance to help Britain's top sportsmen and women to return to training safely MoD News 0
soleil Forces News: "How Is The Defence Animal Training Regiment Working During Lockdown?" Current Affairs 1
U PHASE 2 TRAINING Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS Coronavirus precautions on the Defence Training Estate MoD News 0
T Systems Engineer Officer Training and Beyond RFA 2
MoD_RSS Supplier chosen for new defence training agreement MoD News 0
N Phase One Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
I Pay in Phase 1 and Phase 2 training for a rating Joining the Royal Navy 35
H Basic training rent, submariner rent in faslane Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Access to online counter terrorism training made easier for home users MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The UK completes training of Somali National Army battalion in Baidoa MoD News 0
soleil FB: HMS President - ‘Dunker’ Training At RNAS Yeovilton Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
R Phase 2 training at HMS Sultan Joining the Royal Navy 0
MoD_RSS Gaming technology trialled in training UK Armed Forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Trentbarton provides training for wheelchair and mobility scooter users MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Former Government training centre sold to provide new homes and a retirement village MoD News 0
T Physical Training Instructor Direct Entry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
BFRS Naval Specialist Training Instructor Opportunities The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
S Training for PRNC Joining the Royal Navy 7
1 Packages in basic training Nearest & Dearest 11
MoD_RSS Government considers more flexible training for healthcare professionals switching discipline MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Every child in England to be offered cycle training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Training children to cycle safely MoD News 0
soleil FB: RNAS Culdrose: "820 Naval Air Squadron Training In The Mist" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Forces Network: "Navy Veterans Join Future Sailors For Training On Dartmoor" Bases / Shore Est 1
MoD_RSS Ofsted consults on changes to inspection framework for teacher training MoD News 0
C Last time a squadron of ships sailed together apart from the Dartmouth Training Squadron in the 1960's Miscellaneous 7
MoD_RSS £183 million boost for military helicopter training MoD News 0
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

Top