Training Management Officer

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Freeman-35, Apr 16, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I would be very appreciative should anyone be able to shed any light on the role of Training Management Officer, in an informal sense.

Despite attempts to gain information from the wider web in addition to literature and advice from the AFCO, I am unfortunately still left with a vague understanding of what the role specifically entails and unfortunately, I am unable to attend the acquaint in Oct due a preferred start date immediately following graduation.

I would be particularly interested in learning more about the following areas:

• Day to day duties - A typical day in the life of a Training management officer
    • Shore based - Will the role be primarily shore based? Where am I likely to be posted?
    • Aboard Ships - Any secondary duties while at sea? Standard time spent at sea?
    • Career progression - Future career prospects? Timeline of promotion etc..
    • Transferable skills - Further education and training provided? Similar role in civilian employment?
    • Golden Hello - Why is this given?
    • Stability - Is the role stable given the current defense policy?
    • Capabilities - Is the role technical? Would a scientific based degree be preferable?
    • Current availability - Is the role under subscribed? Any heads up on current intake?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  2. Congratulations on your choice of Training Management Officer, the strategic intellect branch that glues the Royal Navy together.

Your first tour is likely to be in a Stone Frigate training establishment, probably SULTAN or COLLINGWOOD. You'll probably teach baby Tiffs Maths, Electronics or Electrical Engineering. You will be on the Officer of the Day Roster, and will get loads of baby officer lurks like Visits Officer for CCFS, mustering ammo, organising a Xmas Ball, Checking the accounts at the VCC etc. The good news is that as one of the chosen elite, you'll probably be a Lt with some years seniority if you are already educated up the ying yang, and can get onto the Duty Commanding Officer (DCO) roster relatively quickly and leave all that George behind.

A Science based degree is preferable, and a strong Maths bent helps, unless you want to burn the oil the night before learning the lessons you teach in the forenoon. However, it's the sign of a good schoolie that you can deliver training by being one page ahead in the Instructional Specification of your class at any given time.

Schoolie = No Cuff too Tough. If you can cuff it with the best you might even make Star rank.

Promotion prospects? , well just get onto a career commission for starters, and take it from there. If you can plough a furrow as a TM(SM) on boats of get a Green lid then that wont do your career prospects any harm at all.

Intake - They're taking on.

Pros - its better than teaching in a secondary school. You'll spend most of your time ashore and get most weekends with those you love.

Cons - Having to call people you joined with 'Sir' not many years after.

Use the time to work on your quals, e.g. get your CIPD tick, then you can work in HR or Organisational L & D when you go outside. As part of your 'career progression' you'll get to do a Postgraduate Cert, then Diploma, then MSc in Training Management from Pompey Uni. Supposedly linked to promotion....

If you have any specific questions, PM me. And remember, don't try to be smart, everyone in the schoolie branch is smart (actually, I suck back on that comment). Be a weasel with a good political awareness, and you'll go far...... and don't assume your career manager is actively managing your career.

Good luck!
  3. Erm..........
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The branch has a significant manning shortfall, now is a good time to join, but like most I don't understand why there's a £27k joining bounty for a graduate that seldom, if ever, goes to sea. Degree wise, an accredited engineering degree used to be required, then it was opened to random science degrees, nowadays, anything goes but you get no promotional, income or seniority advantage compared to a non-grad officer in direct relation to the fact you are a graduate.(It changed this year).

Day to day, you generally teach in the classroom environment in a wide variety of training roles - the vast majority in base areas. (Baby tiffs are theoretically extinct, but teaching technical subjects is still par for the course).

Must admit I was unaware there were seagoing submariner schoolies in receipt of submarine pay and I've always wondered why a green beret is considered necessary. Sea billets used to be quite rare, but possibly there maybe a seagoing role on the new carriers - not seen anything official on that score.
  5. There were 2 on a CVS.
  6. Never seen one carried on an SSN, why would you need one. the only ones wearing dolphins maybe ones that have failed perisher or politely asked to leave the boat and shut the access hatch on the way out!
  7. There is one associated with the SSN community, and there are one or two with the SSBNs. Dolphins in the same way as Green Berets - they're no needed for the job, but do establish a baseline credibility with those they are working with.

TMs as a Branch are odd; some very very good ones, lots of very average ones, lots of "failedinownbranchtryTM" ones.....
  8. Good gen from the Ninja there, and happy to stimulate debate, as was the intention. Historically, we got a bit of seniority as a result of the fact that we tended to join a bit older (I was 30) and had been, in most cases, involved in education in some way. In fact I was so senior that my first S206 from COLLINGRAD went into the promotion pot (with obviously no chance of getting it).

Yes there were two Scoolies on a flat top, as there was enough trade to warrant it, then the FEdO concept meant you might have seen the people hopping from platform to platform in a squadron. Doing SLC work, kicking people to start their resettlement activity more than two weeks before they went outside. I imagine QE might have at least one schoolie idc.

Its arguably a dying world, but isnt it all??? (the vast majority of schoolies are not really classroom based any more, but there are more of them doing things like coaching and the other training management functions - classroom time was of greatest use to those who'd not been in front of a class before, and a piece of piss compared to Year 11 Bottom Set at 0830 on a dull Wednesday morning in the local Comprehensive School I started in), but great to see that they're still needed. I started with 12 schoolies on the bottom floor of Marlborough with a couple of 2.5s and a 3 ringer. You'd probably struggle to see a Blue suit other than Babcock now I expect.Training delivery is now largely contracted out as are support jobs like training design and quality control, but schoolies still go through these areas to get experience if they've got the legs to make SO1/OF5 or higher and set policy. Training Needs Analysis is now entirely contracted out, although maintainng uniformed management and control.

The SM and Green hat routes, as stated, were a good way to make yourself employable (it was all about getting off an 8 year commission and onto career). There are blue hat schoolie jobs with the Corps, but a credibility boost of experiential sympathy, that a green lid brought, went a long way. Also helped going into meetings with master racers to reassure them you were not a shiney Arse I spose (i'm not Commando qualled LOL).

It's also true that many members of the branch, to put it kindly, had arisen elsewhere, in a lot of cases, as a result of a chop flight. We had one guy alongside me, I think had been Royal, Aircrew and ME(SM) before bottoming out on TM. So there was a perception that in some cases, the branch took other branches failures.

It should be noted that Schoolie was the only completely graduate branch outside of Medical/Dental/Padre and i do wonder what might have happened had I joined at 22 not after having a career outside first. But you make these life choices dont you - I've have never comtemplated it had I not got my first teaching job in Pompey. My rather cyncial tone, is, of course, resultant from my dilligence and clean nose resulting in no progress of promotion and commission at all. Its not a branch all will fly in, think average seniority for promotion was 13 years when I was in, as opposed to 7 or 8 for an Engineering Officer.

It's a good life for a Learning & Development professional, remember that resettlement starts the day you join and whatever length of career you have , you wont be out of work much afterwards. I had bad days in the mob, but never had a bad week, and thats a good way to look at it. I won't tell you how much sea time i did, as the entire Rum Ration site will wade in and take the P*ss. There are senior stokers and pinkies out there now though, doing their jobs and meeting operational capability, because I showed them how to do Differential Calculus, when they were on the bones of their arse, and that makes me feel good.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. I would like to extend my sincere thanks to those who took the time to answer my questions.

I found the advice very helpful and I am happy to say that I have recently passed AIB for the TMO branch.

Thank you again and I look forward to potentially working with you in the future!
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Well done!

Best of luck in your new career.
  11. Congratulations! :)