Training Management Officer

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by scottie_197, Jan 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi folks.

After a disappointing medical exam for Aircrew (Colour perception is a little off) I have been forced to reconsider my career options.

My attention has been drawn towards Training Management Officer. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who does this role or is familiar with it who could give me the less glamorous side not seen on the AFCO's glossy chit.

Also, is anyone aware of the training pipeline? I'm currently trying to bundle my well-rehearsed Aircrew pipeline out of my bonce and need something to replace it.

Thanks in advance.

Scottie

2. Would that be the one under the ambiguous title of 'Training Management Enquiry?'. Good job there was no common sense test in the medical. Apologies all.

3. This option of E(TM) is worth considering if you are indeed qualified - ideally a science based degree of 2.1 or better - as there are likely to be slots this year and competition is typically less than other branches.
    Good luck.

4. Thanks for the heads up, TB.

In reading the other posts about this role, it would seem it is very much land-based. Is this true that there is little opportunity to get on board and see the world?

5. Pretty much. It's not a sea-going branch.

6. Ok, that helps the decision.

Slightly off topic and don't read too much into it, I know what it looks like, can you apply as I rating and officer at the same time? I have the relevant quals and apparently aptitude for commission, but it seems at the moment to be nigh on impossible to get it. My goal is to serve and I would ideally like to get the commission, however I would be just as happy with a more hands on rating approach. It's not a case of indecision, more of desperation to join up (I have wanted to since young and have been trying for the last 3 years and getting knocked back through no fault of my own).

Sorry about the essay, but don't ask don't get.

7. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

There are some TM jobs at sea. They tend to be pool jobs so you would jump on and off different ships to do edumacation and resettlement stuff.

My personal opinion is the branch is becoming harder to justify as a uniformed one. The need for the X-Factor TM able to deploy at a moments notice just doesn't exist. The EDO and Resettlement role could be done by any officer or senior rate with the right training. It would sit as a CAPS assignment (these are assignments that require only a certain rate not branch to fill). For the more detailed and professionally trained requirements could be done by civilian staff. Of course the TM I know at FOST as the CISTAR man is worth his weight in gold and has a wealth of military experience that he uses to good effect. But with the need to cut manpower costs it becomes hard to make the case.

8. Scottie,
    You can have multiple applications running - usually seen for 2 services, not Rating and Officer. Many Royal Marines Officer candidates will apply to the Army at the same time, for example (Plan B).
    However, to apply for both a leadership/management role and a "blue collar" position within the same organisation is unwise unless you have failed the Officer process and are now trying Rating. I would seriously question the motivation of a candidate who wanted to apply for both concurrently.
    Best plan - decide what you want to be - go for it and have a "Plan B" should it not work out. Desperation is not a good motivator!!

9. Cheers TB, very enlightening.

The plan B (or am I on C or D? It's hard to keep track) is definitely to go in as a Rating. The parallel applications was more to try and remove the waiting time in between applications. Your point about applying for Management and Blue Collar at the same time is a salient one, though. I will take it on board and go for Commission.

Thanks again.