Training Management Officer (Submariner)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by corriere, Jul 12, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of applying for Training Management Officer (Submariner) but there's nothing specific in the career literature about it, unlike, for example, Logistics Officer Submariner. Has anyone got any insight into this job? It looks like a very good one to me!

Thanks!

2. There's a specific entry for this? I can only imagine the requirement is tiny.

I genuinely have no idea what you'd do - perhaps be a replacement Warfare Officer?

3. I was surprised to find it too. On the online application form, you have to choose which role you want to go for and it's certainly there.

I imagine it might be because submarines are often at sea for such a long time. They might need to do some training at sea. It sounds like an interesting job though so I might go for it. At least you'd get submariners' pay!

4. I wouldn't get too excited - I'd suggest you join as a 'normal' TM and if you really want, volunteer once in.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'd be surprised if a TMO spent long enough on a boat to gain their dolphins.

6. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

So I am a wee bit out of branch & date but, there used to be a small requirement both back aft and up front. Then the schools (TMOs) either taught in the Nav/systems school if they'd been upfront or taught in Sultan if they'd gone back aft. A further change was the E(IS) cadre got themselves into to CISO at sea role and that extended to boats but thats taken up by the WE fraternity now.

7. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I know 3 personally who did many patrols after pt3 and then went and taught in the service before going back into mainstream TM roles. The requirement is small but tends to get people really keen hence they make the most of it.

8. One of the first female submariners was a TMO.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Let that be a lesson to you. ;)

10. I see what you did there :)

• Like Like x 1