Training in Combat Boots

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Furniss, May 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm hoping to join up at some point in the near future and was wandering is training in High Leg Combat Boots a good idea? Many Thanks, Furniss
  2. Cant really answer that question but have you tried getting arm and leg weights for when you go running?

They absolutely cane your arms and legs, but when your just about to give up, take them off and then run for another 10 mins or however much longer you can run for and youll feel like you floating.
    Its a really weird sensation!
  3. What kind of training do you need for High Leg Combat boots then ??

Speed Lacing ??
    How to put them on/take off in rough seas??

Best thing is to wear something comfortable to train in and maybe wear hiking boots once or twice a week just to get used to it.
  4. a great deal of outside fitness is carried out wearing high leg books. my advise would be to try to get hold of a pair and get used to running and fast walking in them. ideally get service issue from the army/navy store then a) you will have a spare pair b) they will be worn in and molded to your feet.
  5. Training in boots will just lead to injuries, I can understand the arguments for it but would strongly advise against it. Get yourself a good pair of running shoes and do some hard hill runs.

What stage are you exactly at in the recruitment process, if you have passed PRMC you should have a pair of boots and doing some walking in the hills is the best way to break those in.

Leave running in boots till you start training.

Purely my opinion

6. You could also end up jarring your knees, because of the weight and balance of the boot.

Anyway good luck with your Bootie training.

7. Having done a few miles in my time in the Corps I concur with the advice given by kiwi. If you can improve your road and cross country running you’ll be fine when you transition to boots. Trainers enable you to get all the benefit from running without increasing the amount of stress placed on your legs and knees and you’ll have plenty of exposure to that if you get into training!

Best of luck in your preparation.
  8. Also concur with kiwi, your opening up a whole world of pain if you start running in boots. Where do you live?? If you are nowhere near any hills get yourself walking up and down flights of stairs to strengthen your legs. But heed the warning from the old sweats who carry the injuries from their training.

If you are running in the hills might i suggest these. See link

9. Also from personal experience, train hard in sneakers (or equivalent); the transition from wearing normal footwear everyday to boots everyday is such that you don't want to rush it, much less than starting to run in them without a break-in period.

btw, wearing boots every day in the civilian world just looks funny.
  10. And there was me thinking that the USMC got choppers everywhere. :wink:
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Thank goodness for the majority of common sense postings so far:

Do not prepare yourself by running in combat boots, period.

Even matelots, let alone booties, saw the folly of their ways in this area eventually. Sadly there were lots of shin splint problems before some bright spark thought there may be an issue.

As already posted, reasonable quality trainees (well padded, particularly in the heel, & most definitely NOT Street Trainers) will serve you well in your preparations toward PRMC. Don't think expensive means good- it doesn't.

Weights (leg/arm), as you further develop, are OK within reason, but don't even think of carrying a rucksack full of bricks - pure folly at any stage.

You may buy accurate copies of current service boots for walking in & getting used to, if you think that will help you, but the majority of successful Royals don't- they content themselves with breaking in the pair they are going to wear during recruit training AFTER they have passed PRMC. Don't even think of buying a similar pair, breaking them in & thinking they'll be OK- they won't.
  12. Ninja-Stoker, I have a pair of combat boots bought from cadetdirect and i use them for my cadets as well as the week mountain climbing in Wales i have just done, so they are well broken in. Are you saying that i should not use these for hill walking? I'm just asking as I live very close to the North Downs and was looking to do some hill walking or hill sprints in my boots there.

14. Harry, thats the spirit mate, what are you drinking? Will you have a sore head in the AM?
    Furniss what is your level of fitness at the moment, are you running regularly on roads/cross country? The answers to these questions may give us a guideline.
    While it is true that many shin splint injuries do occur surely this is due to the persons not being used to the level of phys they are expected to perform?
    The more quality training you do the less chance there is of incuring this type of injury.
  15. Morning H :lol: :lol: :lol:

16. Oh dear, I do spout some bollox when I've had a few. Morning Polar :lol: :lol: :lol:
  17. Come here my wee bootie..... 8)
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Oops, touched a nerve Harry?

Mate, I only posted what CTC currently advise recruits (Spoke to PRMC office last week on the subject), I'm certainly no expert- perhaps I should've stated from whence the advice was quoted.

Anyway, where can I get a bottle of that stuff mate, sounds good!
  19. Ninja, aplogies to you.

You get plenty of training in trainers before speed marching in boots. When I was on training teams the Sickbay took a look at the stats and found that most fractures were happening to the right leg. Turns out that it was the camber of the road, not the actual boot wearing that was causing the trouble. We used to try moving the ranks about i.e. inside rank to the outside. Bloody hilarious trying to do it on the move, what with lads tripping over each other. We worked out a system in the end but it was never entirely satisfactory and could only really be done on long straight stretches of road but as you know there aren't that many of them around the six and nine miler routes. Running on the other side of the road was the obvious solution but was ruled out on the grounds of safety. Maybe thoughts about runnning in boots have changed, I don't know.

Right, off for a beer :lol:
  20. Ninja_Stoker

Cheers Harry- good information, must admit I'd not heard about the possible causes due road camber, but it does make sense.

From what I gather, the art of actually running in boots, certainly on metalled roads, before joining is discouraged by CTC, however as always, it is a different story once fitness levels are up during Commando training!

It is interesting with regard the perceived changes in selection over the last 3 years, as I see it. It would probably be denied by CTC, but I honestly feel as though selection "slackened off" slightly a while back as there was (& is) problems getting candidates of the right calibre. It's possible the powers that be decided that they would impose fewer fail criteria during PRMC on the grounds that they could bring up the fitness standard, to the usual high standard during the newer 32 week course. Certainly the AFCO success/pass rate was, I'm estimating, nearly 75% during this period, however wastage from Recruit training soared.

Again this is only my opinion, but to compound it the "PRMDC" (Potential Royal Marines Devlopment Course) was started for "near-misses". (This was were PRMC fails were employed purely "getting fitter" for 3 weeks at CTC & then underwent a 2nd PRMC- passes entered straight away, fails were ditched.) PRMDC, as most are aware, has ceased.

I think we've now gone full circle & selection now was as tough as it ever was. The 3 mile run, now on day one, following a "cheeky warm up" appears to be increasing the PRMC fail rate measurably, but I hope, decreasing the wastage during training.

In short Harry, Commando training itself hasn't changed much since you were there. If it was easy, I'd be wearing green. It isn't, I'm not!

(Apologies most certainly not necessary).