Training Hours

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jonathan1988, Mar 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear all,

I am currently going through an officer application and my AIB date is the 17th March 2010. I was wondering if anybody could advise me on the training hours at BRNC Dartmouth i.e. is it 7 days a week, 5 days etc. I ask this because i am due to be married at the end of March.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

All the best

Jonathan

2. I think you just turn up when you want like at Uni. As long as you go to enough lectures and pass all the exams at the end it is all fine.

3. Thank you for that. Are you require to be there full time (7 days a week) a the first few weeks?

Cheers

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Be sure to tick the "flexi-hours" box on the application form.

5. No of course not. I'd try and be there for the first two or three days though as there is some paperwork to fill in and some induction briefs etc.

Generally after that everyone goes their separate ways. The first weekend is always a massive piss up in town to get to know everyone, so I wouldn't make any plans.

6. In the interests of ensuring there's at least one semi-sensible answer. Yes. "training hours," as such, do not exist. The way it used to work, and the new system isn't that different (standing by to be corrected), is first 6 weeks no leave. Then LWEL, followed by night leave until 2359. In the senior term you got maybe 3-4 weekend leaves in 13 weeks. Initially, though, you belong to the navy and you're not going anywhere at any time for the first few weeks. (oh, and for the sake of completeness, neither is anyone else coming in).

Oh and to clarify on training hours - it's not so much that you're required 7 DAYS a week, but the nights too. Especially for the first few weeks you're looking at midnight finishes or later every night (unless you're VERY good at ironing and cleaning), and 6AM period zero fitnes Monday to Friday, which of course means getting up at 0530 to ensure you are washed and shaved before kick off.

7. Spoil sport.

We could have at least strung him on for a few more minutes. :(

8. I've been inspired by Angry_Doc's recently - ahem- abrupt way of dealing with bone questions :toothy8:

I can't think of anything worse than joining the mob just married, but perhaps that's just me...

9. Maybe that's why he is joining the mob.
    8O

10. Actually, I meant to ask - will there be any special offers on at the Student Union, on special occasions? Like...weekends?

11. Hi on this subject what is the training scheduele at Raleigh? Is training 7 days a week or 5 and weekends and we expected to look after kit and prepare everything and keep fit? Although some may read this thinking idle git this couldn't be further from the truth as i actually on occasions worked 7 days a week and silly hours just to meet deadlines and make ends meet.

12. I read this thinking MMMLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAARRRRR!!

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

14. Why should there be :?:

15. I believe as you are joining as an officer you will instantly be issued a steward to serve all your needs. And working past midnight? Only if you consider drinking gin and tonics on the veranda with millionaires daughters working!

They actually don't have a student union,its called the la de da club, which if you really enjoy you can upgrade to the Good ideas club soon after!

And the only thing you'll be cleaning off is the fine wines you get given for free!

It is such nonesense that they wouldn't grant you leave! Don't they know of your standing in society - You aren't some bit of riff raff!

16. Thank you for clarifying this, I was wondering if the ACLO was joking about the fine wines and extended leave, now I know he wasn't!

Were does I sign den? :wink:

17. oh yes its all true.

I just forgot to mention about the 1 weekend you do have to 'work'. Being a gentleman or woman of upstanding quality and class you will be required to fly onto an Aircraft Carrier where you'll spend the evening sailing into the Bahamas to sip cocktails on the flight deck with Royalty. From there you'll be offered the opportunity to become a secret agent and achive double zero status.

it is all true.

18. :thumbup:

19. Back to the original question by jonathan1988,

You want leave to get married?

Why on god's green earth do you want to get married?

Yes you might love this person and want to spend the rest or your life with him/her but in the long run is it worth all the emotional blackmail you will recieve, It will start with the simple you don't spend enough "quality" time with him/her anymore.

Then this will progress to you always want to spend more time with your fellow Oppos/Gentlemen rather than spend time with him/her and you don't love them anymore, this resulting in expenditure for you and much grovelling.

Then during all the time you spend away all that money you think has been saved into a nice little nest egg, Shock horror has been blown on designer stuff all because you left him/her and they got lonely and decided to empty your bank account to make them feel better.

Then if you don't have children already they will want children then this is more expenditure and much much more emotional blackmail, also if you have kids already could you put up with not seeing them for months on end?

Then there will always be the classic you have changed since you joined the Navy you don't love me anymore Blah Blah Blah ( At which point your ears will close and you stare blankly at him/her chuntering away wishing you could just turn around get you coat and go and get pished with you fellow Oppos/Gentlemen) then slap you come back to earth and wonder what the hell you have done.

My advice don't get married enjoy your life and most of all enjoy your career, Then and only then get married and do all of the above.

Or should we get the super glue ready for that big thumb thats about to land on your head????

20. Now There speaks the voice of experience!!! Not bitter and twisted at all then!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D