Training - Does It Differ ?

Ok , When you finally go to ralleigh and start the training etc ,does it differ depending on what your going in as ?

Like if I'm going in as a writer ,and someone else is going in as WS is the training harder/easier ? or is everyone trained on the same level?

Thanks

Patrick

Lantern Swinger
ellisdove said:
Ok , When you finally go to ralleigh and start the training etc ,does it differ depending on what your going in as ?

Like if I'm going in as a writer ,and someone else is going in as WS is the training harder/easier ? or is everyone trained on the same level?

Thanks
Everyone does the same basic training for phase 1 which at the moment consists of 9 weeks. Then after that you become seperated for phase 2 establishments, depending on your branch depends on your time at phase 2/3.

I'm about to go into week 4 at raleigh.

Patrick

Lantern Swinger
Yeah was good fun, did pier cellars on thursday that was a good bonding session. NMT all week now.. still got some blisters though. Have you got a joining date yet?

Patrick said:
Yeah was good fun, did pier cellars on thursday that was a good bonding session. NMT all week now.. still got some blisters though. Have you got a joining date yet?
Hey up Bed-Wetter, did the nickname stick? :D

Whats new in the training that wasnt included in the 70`s.

It used to take 6 weeks now 9. the lads now seem to be fitter than I was. The timed run wasnt included although in 77/8 when I was with a unit that had RM in it they did it then, and only did it on leadership course 80 ish and avoided it untill leaving in 96. so I dont think its fitness.

So whats new?

I'm similar generation to you Topstop.

Unlike in our time they do a week of military training (I think we did a day) - the old joke of a 'matelot with a gun' isn't as true as it used to be.

They also all do quite a lot of seamanship which, as a non-warfare/ops (whatever) I didn't do back in the 70s. Tie a knot? Yeah - right.

Sorry if a bit vague, but that's how I see it and I certainly feel that current training produces a more rounded 'sailor' than in my time.

I think I fall into the same category as Guzzler and Topstop. I remember doing a forenoon of knot tying down by the river before having to row a whaler round Harwich Harbour.

Topstop said:
Whats new in the training that wasnt included in the 70`s.

It used to take 6 weeks now 9. the lads now seem to be fitter than I was. The timed run wasnt included although in 77/8 when I was with a unit that had RM in it they did it then, and only did it on leadership course 80 ish and avoided it untill leaving in 96. so I dont think its fitness.

So whats new?
Today's Basic for you, Topstop:

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operati...ecruit-school/civvy-to-sailor/training-weeks/

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Arguably, those of us who underwent 6 weeks basic training were 50% quicker to learn than nowadays.

Then again the 'duffers' that went to Ganges were there for a year. :lol:

Ninja_Stoker said:
Arguably, those of us who underwent 6 weeks basic training were 50% quicker to learn than nowadays.

Then again the 'duffers' that went to Ganges were there for a year. :lol:
I must be mega ace hoofin' good, I only did 6 weeks at Ganges (as did Topstop..or maybe it's because we were submariners and therefore more intelligent and capable than the rest)

Seems more "civilised" than Ganges abit like "Center Parcs" .

But still doing the job, their training must be "broader" these days, I wouldent want to go back to compare them personaly, it must still push you to the limit, just different.

I didn't do 6 or 9, I did 8 weeks as standard. They've found a week from somewhere. Did it go 6 to 8 or was there a time when it was 7 weeks? Just curious.

It went 6 to 8 and was then increased to 9 a couple of years ago. There was talk about upping it again to 10 weeks, but it looks like it will remain at 9 weeks due to the financial costings.

SM

:)

Patrick

Lantern Swinger
Nah, I get called Bugs or Buggsy mainly. Been good fun though, we have a week of NMT , week of seamanship principles, and mainly the 1st week is abit of a doss really, so thats probably why it's longer. I've heard rumours about possibly extending training next year from 9 weeks to 19 weeks and involving 4 weeks of NMT & more in depth activities like dartmoor.

1st major kit muster on monday, doing alright with it.