Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Training by Video" the new approach to promotion

WarMonger

War Hero
I would invite any suggestions as to suggested film viewing that substitutes proper task book training and will help you fast track to promotion...!!

- SPO Team member - Under Siege - Steven Seagal

dunkers

War Hero
Re: "Training by Video" the new approach to promot

Crimson Tide - NBCD training.
Das Boot - damage control training!

imom1406

War Hero

Grey Lady Down - Training film that explains to submariners that "Targets" are there to save their bacon!

imom1406

War Hero

Recruitment Video for ethnic minoriies into the Sonar Branch (if it still exists) Hunt for Red Oktober

WarMonger

War Hero

I think that the trilogy of Cruel Sea ,In Which We serve and Master & Commander could probably replace most of Raleigh well certainly for RNR's anyway!

I learnt not to salute an officer indoors if he hasnt got his hat on from the Cruel Sea..they didnt even mention it at Raleigh!

Das Boot - the realities of war and privations of life beneath the oggin

The Cruel Sea - routine, what Britain expects and that sailors scream when drowning (very haunting)...

Mutiny on the Bounty (the version starring Anthony Hopkins) - why you need to keep an eye on unruly baby officers

Britain's Youngest Sailors (BBC documentary) - training, what you need to learn and the importance of a sense of humour and a posh accent

Blue Peter [not technically a film, though] - John Noakes climbing That Mast at the G-Place - how to climb a mast, such an essential skill in the modern RN, and that even John himself could sometimes fail...

As a lifelong civvy I found these invaluable at teaching me all I know about the RN and why joining-up would be ill-advised. I knew in my heart that I was A F*****G COWARD! :cry:

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer

In addition to the mandatory Cruel Sea, etc could I offer "War Games" for CIS; for the submariners we have "Above us the waves" and "We Dive at Dawn" (not on you smutty minded individuals :) )

If we could extract the tapes from the Beeb, then the complete series of "Warship" and "Sailor" from the 1970s, could be used to educate NE into Naval life; on a similar theme the more recent "HMS Brilliant" would be a good training video in how not stage a Sods Opera.

imom1406

War Hero

FlagWagger said:
In addition to the mandatory Cruel Sea, etc could I offer "War Games" for CIS; for the submariners we have "Above us the waves" and "We Dive at Dawn" (not on you smutty minded individuals :) )

If we could extract the tapes from the Beeb, then the complete series of "Warship" and "Sailor" from the 1970s, could be used to educate NE into Naval life; on a similar theme the more recent "HMS Brilliant" would be a good training video in how not stage a Sods Opera.

Brilliant did it a lot better in my day...before it became a media darling!

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer

Handsome said:
What about " Watership Down" would that count????

"Water It Down" is a much better description of the last 15 or so years I think!

Trouble

Midshipman

Class - Thanks Handsome, that Watership Down comment has given me a stitch laughing! Only You!

dubaipusser

Lantern Swinger

Hornblower - what a series! And full of brilliant tips on how to behave in abject adversity.

Also - the Cruel Sea, Enemy Below, Cockleshell heroes and others in that ilk with underlying messages on general heroism and maintaining a good diet - Snorkers - Good Oh!

chockhead819

War Hero

Top Gun is not a training aid for the fleet air arm, JAG only deals with the UCMJ not Queens Regs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Dabber phase two training video Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
v8topcat england training video Diamond Lil's 2
soleil Herald/Video: Ice Training in Norway with Plymouth based RMs The Corps 6
MoD_RSS Cadet Force adult volunteer saves woman’s life thanks to army cadet first aid training MoD News 0
G Royal Navy Marine Engineer Professional Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
D RNP Training Joining the Royal Navy 51
MoD_RSS PHE launches new Psychological First Aid training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Expansion of prison kitchen training scheme to cut reoffending MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New UK Cyber Security Council to be official governing body on training and standards MoD News 0
R RFA training Bases / Shore Est 2
MoD_RSS Changes to the training you need for an SIA licence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New kitchen and dining facility at Cameron Barracks enhances training experience for armed forces MoD News 0
R Observer Training Pipeline The Gash Barge 9
D WARFARE OFFICER TRAINING + CAREER PIPELINE (up to date, 2021) Joining the Royal Navy 10
MoD_RSS New carbon efficient accommodation marks start of nationwide improvements on the Defence Training Estate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Baby red squirrels born on Ballykinler Training Area MoD News 0
B royal fleet auxiliary training Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS New NHS maternity leadership training to address Ockenden Review recommendations MoD News 0
IlikeB33r GYH(T) Capped at training establishments? Diamond Lil's 57
R CIS Submariner Phase 2 & Sub Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
pompeyexpat Capita to run training Current Affairs 15
MoD_RSS Letter from Amanda Spielman to the Secretary of State for Justice about Rainsbrook Secure Training Centre MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Written Ministerial Statement on Unconscious Bias Training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS SIA suspends over 130 licences and seeks retraining after investigating training fraud MoD News 0
M Cold weather training? Sports and Adventure Training 20
A Terms at BRNC & Observer grading & training thereafter Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
RabC Training Places Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS British Embassy Costa Rica provides training for customs officials on UK-Central America Association Agreement MoD News 0
S Training Diary for appeal Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS Top award for regulator training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ministry of Defence Police clamp down on illegal activity and keep the training estate safe in the south east MoD News 0
P Pipeline Training RFA 1
K Please help with Interview and Training information Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS Training fund launched to help vets prepare for 1 January 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major expansion of post-18 education and training to level up and prepare workers for post-COVID economy MoD News 0
S RFA Training Pipeline RFA 11
MoD_RSS Completion of training facility at RAF Waddington MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint approach to training gets international recognition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: launch of ‘help us say yes’ online training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Training for Security Control Room Operators in Responding to Terrorist Incidents – We would like your views MoD News 0
soleil P. News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Leaves Portsmouth For Training With US Marines F-35" The Fleet 8
N HMS Sultan Simulator training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
P Training leave Joining the Royal Navy 8
B Can I wear athletic tape during Royal Marine Commando training ? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS UK launches multinational training to enhance Ukrainian Navy against threats from the East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Troops reach training milestone ahead of UN Peacekeeping deployment to Mali MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ride Free: new online motorcycle training to improve road safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Theory tests and motorcycle training and tests to restart in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New teacher training inspections to focus on the ITE curriculum MoD News 0
Z Logistics Officer Training RFA 4