"Training by Video" the new approach to promotion

I would invite any suggestions as to suggested film viewing that substitutes proper task book training and will help you fast track to promotion...!!

- SPO Team member - Under Siege - Steven Seagal

Re: "Training by Video" the new approach to promot

Grey Lady Down - Training film that explains to submariners that "Targets" are there to save their bacon!

Recruitment Video for ethnic minoriies into the Sonar Branch (if it still exists) Hunt for Red Oktober

I think that the trilogy of Cruel Sea ,In Which We serve and Master & Commander could probably replace most of Raleigh well certainly for RNR's anyway!

I learnt not to salute an officer indoors if he hasnt got his hat on from the Cruel Sea..they didnt even mention it at Raleigh!

Das Boot - the realities of war and privations of life beneath the oggin

The Cruel Sea - routine, what Britain expects and that sailors scream when drowning (very haunting)...

Mutiny on the Bounty (the version starring Anthony Hopkins) - why you need to keep an eye on unruly baby officers

Britain's Youngest Sailors (BBC documentary) - training, what you need to learn and the importance of a sense of humour and a posh accent

Blue Peter [not technically a film, though] - John Noakes climbing That Mast at the G-Place - how to climb a mast, such an essential skill in the modern RN, and that even John himself could sometimes fail...

As a lifelong civvy I found these invaluable at teaching me all I know about the RN and why joining-up would be ill-advised. I knew in my heart that I was A F*****G COWARD! :cry:

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer

In addition to the mandatory Cruel Sea, etc could I offer "War Games" for CIS; for the submariners we have "Above us the waves" and "We Dive at Dawn" (not on you smutty minded individuals :) )

If we could extract the tapes from the Beeb, then the complete series of "Warship" and "Sailor" from the 1970s, could be used to educate NE into Naval life; on a similar theme the more recent "HMS Brilliant" would be a good training video in how not stage a Sods Opera.

FlagWagger said:
In addition to the mandatory Cruel Sea, etc could I offer "War Games" for CIS; for the submariners we have "Above us the waves" and "We Dive at Dawn" (not on you smutty minded individuals :) )

If we could extract the tapes from the Beeb, then the complete series of "Warship" and "Sailor" from the 1970s, could be used to educate NE into Naval life; on a similar theme the more recent "HMS Brilliant" would be a good training video in how not stage a Sods Opera.
Brilliant did it a lot better in my day...before it became a media darling!

Class - Thanks Handsome, that Watership Down comment has given me a stitch laughing! Only You!

dubaipusser

Lantern Swinger

Hornblower - what a series! And full of brilliant tips on how to behave in abject adversity.

Also - the Cruel Sea, Enemy Below, Cockleshell heroes and others in that ilk with underlying messages on general heroism and maintaining a good diet - Snorkers - Good Oh!