Trafalgar Night

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by broadside, Oct 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Since today is the 21st October - those who can will be having their Traf Night dinners - those who can't will be waiting till the weekend - any good dits about Traf Night (or Pickle Night) dinners?

2. Last year I commemorated the anniversary of the great battle in the British Support Unit Baghdad – we even managed to get the Daily Telegraph to put a dit into the “Service Dinners†section of the Court and Social page. This year it will be a tad lower key as I’m taking a load of Australian Military (that I met out there) for pie and pint in a pub in Canberra, as I’m out here on business. However we will find a location that serves port, and will toast the immortal memory.
    SO2 Seaman

3. FFS CANBERRA?? There is nothing in Canberra except hot air from the hill!

Welcome to Australia mate :thumright:

4. Last nights ended with an early am twisted ankle.

Hopefully nothing worse for tomorrow!

5. Well I fell asleep during our Guest of Honour's speech...woke up to find half the room staring at me and laughing - COME ON PEOPLE!! I'd just come back from Dartmoor!! Give me a break!! And to be fair, I gave the Vice Admiral warning in advance. Don't think he believed I'd actually do it though...

6. The Traf Night in DRAKE was very good - significant Port consumption, but a fantastic night!

7. Ohhh yes.. Last night!

Our padre made several 'Ship o' the Line' cakes for desert; choc cake shaped as w/wall ships with paper sails and sparklers for cannons.

Fantastic effort, effect and result except for... the sails caught fire, and spread throughout the fleet and burnt the waitress!! I run off to find the special key to deactivate the fire alarm system before Fireman Sam turns up, only to find its missing.
    Fortunately the alarm stayed silent; as did the waitress. (Cant't say the same for the old boys from the RNA though!)

8. How sad am I scanning through news pages on different RNR Unit websites but, on this occasion I turned up a gem featuring an old boss of mine from HMS (as it was then) CERES days when he was CO.

This was on the HMS FORWARD news page - Trafalgar Night in Sudan - "Good effort Boss, especially getting the French along to it!"

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.14118

If anyone has an e-mail address for him (no names on this site due to PERSEC but since his name is in the News/Press release I don't know why I am being so cautious) please PM me so I can try to make contact again after what must be about 15 years!

1. What actually happens on traf night? Just an excuse for a good drink :) what's the dress code rules for women? Obviously not a slutty outfit :p

9. Feel free . Knock yourself out ;)

10. Chacun a son gout
    (Podgra if in the Docs
    Chacun a son gout
    (Podagra if in the Doc's big toe)

11. You been on the Port already?

12. Traf night is a formal dinner (99% of the time), so rig is mess undress for serving members with black tie/ball gowns for civilians.

13. Huntingdon RNA has black tie as an option with the minimum of Jacket/Tie, no formal rules for the Ladies. Serving members (we have 5) are No 1's or mess dress.

We have enough trouble getting them to commit without enforcing rules on them :(

Anyone in the Huntingdon area that wants to come along please PM me (October 24th) :) £17 per head.

14. You infer that before Noon It' s port....
    that's causing the problem you see..
    It's more likely Windows 10...................
    That you can download for FREE

15. @dapperdunn :rolleyes: always one!

Thanks guys. Thought I best find out befor I commit to buying a dress. Should be a good night

• Like Like x 1
  16. Almunecar RNA has black tie as an option with the minimum of Jacket/Tie, no formal rules for the Ladies. We have no Serving members.

We have enough trouble getting them to commit without enforcing rules on them :(

Anyone in the Almunecar (Southern Spain) area that wants to come along please PM me (October 23rd) :)30 euros per head.

17. Mess Dress. Dresses (for ladies), shoulders covered, below the knee.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  19. You will need to cover your ink on lower arms with make-up.