Trafalgar Night bashes

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by SONAR-BENDER, Oct 12, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well shipwrecks, it is that time of year again, so who is doing what and where?

I shall be i/c of our little RNA bash for about 22 folk in a local restaurant. It is a chance for us all to get properly dressed up for a change. We do all the good stuff, rum and / or cava to start, reading the reports from the Gazette between courses etc. No big guest this year but we had the British Consul from Malaga last year. I've been trying to get a Spanish Naval officer, but she seems to be constantly at sea!

So, whether you are a PSOF or a sprog - what are you doing this year to remember one of the most important days in British Naval history?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 1st Nov for ours, in the local Masonic lodge. We have been having it there for years but the masons have it up for sale, so may have to look elsewhere next year. We have approx 50 as we have extended to invite to St Neots and March branches.

Got a cracking speech off some ex Matelot who sold his soul for cheap wine and sun which I have given to the Secretary to do. I'm doing white rat (not been done before). Cheers SB

We have 4 serving members coming (Lt Cdr, CPO, PO & LH),

Usual rum, food and beer. We usually do a raffle which brings in about £150 which will then go to a local or naval charity.

I have bought a few packets of rum truffles (£1 a pack in the range) to take into work for the ex crabs to celebrate a time when the only thing flying was cannon balls and sails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 24th October ,one of our serving LTs as VIP,48 shipmates including RAFA and REA,raffle,wine and port,rig blazer medals,black tie miniatures ,be there or be square! Organised by our PRO who is also OC local CCF RN unit,wavy navy LT
  4. I shall mainly be getting shiters with my oppos and singing songs about beating the French.....
  5. We're having Pickle Night on Friday 7 Nov...
  6. We had a Pickle Night once, but I ran it the way we did in the Mess, using only one plate for everything and bread to 'clean' the plate between courses. None of the attendees had ever been to a Pickle Night and just could not get their heads around it!

Much cheaper and easier to organise that a Traf Night though.
  7. Had our Traf Night bash last night and have to say it was brilliant. The weather was so good that we could have sat outside, but elected to get all hot and sweaty inside! Did the Nelson Health and Safety speech (Cheers JFH!) which went down a storm as only the two readers knew.

They have asked for a Pickle Night next year........

PS - Our Woods was 4 quid a bottle...........
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Picking up the pussers this week for ours £30 a bottle at the cash and carry

9. Crikey, you'd get 3 and a bit for that in Gib! £9 a bottle down the far end of Main Street.
  10. Bit far from Cambridge unfortunately

11. We had Bridlingtons on Friday night,them launched Poppy Appeal on Saturday,both went well and involved alcohol !
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Being the youngest mess member, I have been volunteered to say grace. Being my first Pickle Night, any ideas of a good grace to say?
  13. -
    O ETERNAL Lord God, who alone spreadest out the heavens, and rulest the raging of the sea; who hast compassed the waters with bounds until day and night come to an end: Be pleased to receive into thy Almighty and most gracious protection the persons of us thy servants, and the Fleet in which we serve. Preserve us from the dangers of the sea, and from the violence of the enemy; that we may be a safeguard unto our most gracious Sovereign Lady, Queen ELIZABETH, and her Dominions, and a security for such as pass on the seas upon their lawful occasions; that the inhabitants of our Island may in peace and quietness serve thee our God; and that we may return in safety to enjoy the blessings of the land, with the fruits of our labours; and with a thankful remembrance of thy mercies to praise and glorify thy holy Name; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

add the two after Elizabeth.
  14. The ONLY way to go is Nelson's Prayer. Just Google it.

Good luck!

Round the lips,
    Round the gums.
    Watch out belly,
    Here it comes!

Mmmmm, possibly not.
  15. Oh Jesus Christ
    Oh Lord Devine
    Who maketh water into wine
    Please forgive these foolish men
    Who seek to turn it back again.

Got from a bish and worked for me years ago.
  16. A good second grace is

"For good food and Gravy,
    Thank God and the Navy"

"The food at (insert ship/venue) aint so bad,
    So thank you God for what we've had."
  17. Just got back from the Huntingdon & District RNA Dinner, great food, Pussers Rum, and great company. A cracking night was had by all! Just the hike to pick my car up in the morning now!!

Thanks SB for the speech, bastardised by our SEC and went down well.

18. You're welcome! SWMBO wrote it and she says you owe her a Lambrini!
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Main prize in our raffle was another of my father in laws drawings.

The old Ark (not the one I was on )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414952479.391299.jpg