Trafalgar 21 October 1805

Discussion in 'History' started by Leatherneck, May 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had this copy sent across from Brighton, recently. I Have a fancy for Naval history.

2. very good book - not one of his best but still i very good read

on a side author note - patrick robinson books are f*ckin great
  3. Thanks for the tip, have taken note. Sir Admiral Lord Nelson was by far the greatest Naval Commanders ever. And see his legend in some legends of US Navy history. Like Admiral Nimitz and the battle of Midway in the pacific World War 2.
  4. 'Sir' wasn't actually part of his title.

Unless you were speaking to him I suppose.
  5. Thanks for the correction. I'll take that out of my post.
  6. Looking back that was a bit pedantic of me. Apologies.
  7. Served on the Victory in '69...that's didn't actually meet Nelson!....but what a fine ship!!.....
  8. No worries mate. I'll just put that back in. Was just thinking about the implications for America had Sir Admiral Lord Nelson been still in command less than a decade later, (1812-14). Think our US Navy would have been in Davey Jones' locker! Just my opinion.
  9. The ship has an intimidating appearance in itself, well built and armed like a floating fortress.
  10. Was in her time of course Leatherneck...but today she's not "herself"..was interesting to find out how much she is not the original ( of course)...but did like the idea that she had "stern chasers" mounted aft for tactical retreat!!..

11. You only missed him by 136 years...... :confused:
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'm confused too, Thingy. Nelson died in 1805, and Stripey_G served on board HMS Victory in 1969.

1969 - 136 = 1833? 8O

(Btw, I served on board HMS Victory in 1989, the last year that RN Ratings were employed full-time as tour guides... happy days! RN personnel are still serving on board today, of course, but their primary role is QM) :wink:
  13. I was always keen on Battleships both modern and historical. For me, the modern battleship was floating artillery support of the best kind! The historical battleships, such as Admiral Nelson's is an artistic master piece as well as a super fortress, well designed and well built. A sight to behold. My opnion again.
  14. Possibly the greatest thing that Chatham has given the world?
  15. While at NS Rota (Spain) in 1990 three of us were out in a rental car.. Stopped by Trafalgar on the way south.. Hoisted a cold Cervaza Mahou and saluted out to sea.. A great man leading great men..

We kept out toast pretty quiet upon our return.. NS Rota is also a fleet facility for the present day Armada..
  16. Very distinguished man. Have you seen his coffin?
  17. Totaly agree on Patrick Robinson , brilliant books .
  18. I lucked out with my copy of Trafalgar. It's mint and autographed. I keep it plastic. Great legend, great piece of history, written by a great Navy!
  19. I've always liked and even now prefer C.S Forester's 'Hornblower' series to Mr Cornwall's efforts, but my all time favourite is 'Brown on Resolution' by the same author. One man (Royal Navy AB) and a rifle against a German Battleship, I won't spoil it and tell you who wins.
    Give me that (Or a George MacDonald Fraser 'Flashman' RIP) and a glass (Or twa) of Malt and I'm away laughing.
  20. Speaking of George MacDonald Fraser, I have a copy of one of his books called 'Quatered Safe Out Here" the title being of the name-sake poem by Rudyard Kipling (Gunga Din). Good book about the British Army in Burma World War 2.

've a copy of Gunga Din and always thought of Rudyard as a 'soldiers' poet.