Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tradition holding us back?

Nails

Banned
In my opinion a lot of the reason for the corps being so undermanned is that it is caught up in pointless and outdated traditions, that have no bearing on a soildiers life outside of Lympstone. The Marines aren't the only ones guilty of this. The parras are equally as stubborn in their attitude to move with the times.

Now if you look at the ethos and philosophy of a regiment like the rifles who take the attitude ... "do everything that is nececary and nothing that is not" ... that is the correct attitude. It is efficient, sensible and cost effective. And a reason why it is the largest and best infantry regiment in the forces ... as opposed to RM and parras who struggle for recruits.

Now why would an asspiring recruit want to put himself through all the pain of CTCRM or P Coy if he gets the exact same pay as a rifleman in a better, more forward thinking regiment where life is easier and u aren't expected to do pointless things?

For example, why do the PTI sessions in the corps look like a homosexual concvention? Why do the PTIs in the corps insist on that gay as frig double marking time and silly aerobics excercises invented in the 1940s? Why are recruits still told to do sit ups to strengthen their abs when it is now proven by modern sport science that crunches and reverse crunches are more effective and don't lead to a bad back? Why are recruits taught silly unarmed combat techniques they will never need to use? Why are they sent around things like the tarzan assault course? Injuring (and often ending the career of) many pottentially excelent solders each year? Is there ever going to be a tarzan assault course in Iraq? No! Is it necesary? No!

So is it not time to do away with these silly ways? Ways that are no longer necesary but that are simply continued because "that's how it's always been", and start taking the attitude of The Rifles and "do everything that is necesary and nothing that is not"?!?!?!

Nails

Banned
This is my last bit of advice for you all. Plus i'm bored at the moment, chilling at home with a spliff.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Nails said:
This is my last bit of advice for you all. Plus i'm bored at the moment, chilling at home with a spliff.

Bye Nails, good luck on your application for the Rifles

Nails

Banned
Er if you consider being the best on my PRMC by a mile to be "not good enough" then yeah lol. Anyway The Rifles is better innit

mattbea

Banned
If a WW3 would happen, then CQB will be needed with the fact the chinese, thais and japanese (plus other countries) are learnt a lot of serious martial arts so when it comes to unarmed combat we will probably lose out on that one!! maybe the ghurkas may stand a chance with that though.

Nails

Banned
What? I've been here longer than you and you think you can tell me what to do? What makes you think I'm gonna listen to a NOOB like you?

Nails

Banned
You're inferior to me in every way Karskin. Remember that. I run this mutha f'ucking get up so know ur place.

karskin

Badgeman
Nails said:
You're inferior to me in every way Karskin. Remember that. I run this mutha f'ucking get up so know ur place.

I start at Dartmouth on the 27th mate, when do you join up?

mattbea

Banned
What you calling me ******** for (even though the 1st half of that name was being sucked yesterday) when I was asking a question for which then you should correct me, not by calling me a name as well!

Nails

Banned
Karskin you know nothing about so don't presume to do so. For all you know I could be an admiral and you will be getting a stern talking to and a severe bumming by all the sailors when you join for insulting me.

Dicky

Lantern Swinger
Karskin: I think you've won this one mate. You never know in another future life the spliff smoking poof might just have to call you Sir - and like it....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Independent: "Muslims In The Armed Forces: A Proud Tradition" MoD News 21
finknottle Another glorious tradition gone to the wall Current Affairs 28
soleil Penarth Times "Sailor Sam Follows In Family Naval Tradition" Bases / Shore Est 0
S History and Tradition History 12
Ninja_Stoker Swearing an Oath of Allegiance - a break in tradition? History 23
soleil HMS President visits Pub for Hot Cross Bun Tradition (2010) Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 14
frayedknotarts History, Tradition and Modern Art History 6
frayedknotarts A new bell aboard... tradition? History 3
slim Court wig tradition to end Diamond Lil's 21
MoD_RSS Holding onto peace in South Sudan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Appointment term extended of existing Non-Executive members of Northern Ireland Transport Holding Company MoD News 0
J FAA Holding Times The Fleet Air Arm 3
MoD_RSS South Oxfordshire Local Plan: holding Direction letter to council MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Collecting evidence to use in holding Daesh accountable for crimes against humanity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Parole Board holding event in Bradford on member recruitment and improving diversity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Parole Board holding event in Sheffield on member recruitment and improving diversity MoD News 0
Strangelove Holding the line: the UK Defence Budget Current Affairs 0
soleil RN Site: "Holding Out For A Hero" - Wiggy Wigfull (SAR) In Running For 'Hero' Award The Fleet Air Arm 0
C Holding or awaiting training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M INJURIES HOLDING BACK Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 35
D Holding troop RMR 3
J Holding Troop RMR 3
T Last night in holding troop..... RMR 15
T What do i need to go Holding troop? RMR 3
H Know anyone that wants to Join Glasgow Holding troop RMR 0
T Should i go to Holding Troop? RMR 8
miffta Holding Troop LIVERPOOL RMR RMR 12
L RMR BRISTOL HOLDING TROOP RMR 3
S Holding Troop...does it work? RMR 19