trade questions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by theone2029, Jan 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A mate of mine is thinking of going in for either weapons engineer or marine engineer and wants to know exactly what the two involve and which one is more hands on with electronics?

cheers

2. Tell him to go to the careers Office then.

3. ET (ME) is the mechanic of the Navy, working on the engines, generator and other machinery. They also deal with the production and the delivery of the electricity to the plug point.

ET (WE) are the electricians of the Navy dealing with anything that plugs in to take its power ie radar, sonar, weapons systems etc.

Supermario

:idea:

4. Do they not do oily jobs and hydraulics as a WE now SM???

5. Possibly the worse explanation i've ever heard. We (M.E's) look after most if not all electrics on the ship as well as mechanics. W.E's look after electronics and weapons systems.

6. Your explanation was sooooooo much better!!!!

:lol:

7. Do WE's still deal with all the hydraulic and mechanical side of things or just electronical things now?

8. WE's still deal with the weapons systems to do have dealings with hydraulics and mechanical stuff.

However the majority of that work type is really covered by the ME's.

SM

:)

9. I preferred that side of things when I worked the WE Department. 4.5 Section and Sea Dart fav sections to work on when I was in as it wasn't just electronics.

10. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Prior to implementation of PCP it was planned at one stage to have an ME as the gunbuster, thankfully that idea got shitcanned.