Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tracking down old ship mates from 1930s- 1940s!

D

Deleted 7

This is a long shot but I am going to try!

My grandad was a leading gunner in the RN, served 15yrs in the 1930's and 1940's. I have his service records but I am trying to trace more information on him, that part I kind of have under the belt. However, I am thinking of trying to trace down any ship mates of his. Its a long shot I know and most of them have most prob. past on by now. It is more of a type of hobby to be honest but other family member's are thinking of making some kind of Memorial reunion in the future.

Any advice or help from any one on how to do this would be great :D

Jenny
xx

Geoff_Wessex

Lantern Swinger
I think you can put details down, ship by ship, on Forces Reunited

The idea is that when somebody else joins with any matching old ships, you get an email (I think), so put in the details of all the old ships, by year.

D

Deleted 7

Thank you for your help peeps!

Obv. this will take a while but some family member's are hoping for a reunion in 2007.

Never know, maybe a Rum member or two may have known him :wink:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Jenny_Dabber said:
Thank you for your help peeps!

Obv. this will take a while but some family member's are hoping for a reunion in 2007.

Never know, maybe a Rum member or two may have known him :wink:

J-D I spent 2 and a half years tracing survivours from the Sidon, found 28 out of around 40 (some of whom would obviously died during the intervening years), you have to use everything, RBL magazine, the internet, various Ship re union sites (most seem to have some internet input, RNA website, National and local newspapers. Sidons came from all over the world attend the service we held, I doubt very much that we would have had a half dozen with the magic of cyberspace. The main thing is to keep digging, some times weeks will go by with no information and then two or three things come at once. Best of luck

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bad CO Tracking Down a WW2 Service Record History 4
F Tracking grandfather naval history. Nearest & Dearest 2
MoD_RSS First Operation for RAF Poseidon tracking Russian Warship MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Biometrics Commissioner statement on the use of symptom tracking applications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fish and Chips - Tracking Salmon MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1 million boost for UK smart waste tracking MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Smart tracking of waste across the UK: GovTech Catalyst competition winners announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government stakeholders endorse DASA’s safety at sea competition - Get the Ship in Shape: accounting for, and tracking, personnel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Extra dial-in and 1-2-1 sessions announced for Get the Ship in Shape: accounting for, and tracking, personnel competition MoD News 0
trelawney126 Cookies and Tracking ?New regulations Bloody Computers 1
S Tracking the fastest thing in the world Current Affairs 4
geoffg Mobile Phone Tracking Diamond Lil's 5
andym Tracking the Lincolnshire Poacher. Current Affairs 3
D Tracking Grandpa's Naval history! Bases / Shore Est 4
MoD_RSS Dr Gillian Tully steps down as Forensic Science Regulator MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Nick Walkley steps down as Homes England CEO MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deputy Cabinet Secretary to stand down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Billions of pounds of support helps businesses up and down the country MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mal Singh is to step down as BPDTS Ltd’s Chief Finance Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Space Agency CEO to step down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Animal medicine seizure notice: Parcel addressed to Banbridge, County Down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government launches consultations to crack down on company fraud and improve corporate transparency MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Homes England statistics show overall housing starts down, reflecting the impact of Covid-19 on housebuilding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rogue magazine publisher shut down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A303 Amesbury to Berwick Down (A303 Stonehenge) project granted development consent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ministry of Defence Police clamp down on illegal activity and keep the training estate safe in the south east MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Agency shuts down illegal waste site MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Property investment companies shut down after misappropriating £2.85m MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reforms to Companies House to clamp down on fraud and give businesses greater confidence in transactions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary statement on Prime Minister Abe stepping down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rogue emergency services publisher shut down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tougher fines ahead of Bank Holiday to crack down on illegal gatherings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Futuristic ‘village’ concept launches at Worthy Down Station MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The fighting chance: breaking down barriers to veteran’s well-being MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding boost to crack down on the Illegal Wildlife Trade in Guatemala and Mexico MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New anti-bullying helpline to clamp down on poor behaviour in the military MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Car parking investment companies shut down in court MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Online cryptocurrency trading platform shut down by courts MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Cabinet Secretary to stand down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA Chairman Andrew Tyrie to step down MoD News 0
BillyNoMates List of statues to be pulled down and the reason(s) why. Diamond Lil's 26
MoD_RSS Courts shut down rogue education publisher MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding boost to crack down on the Illegal Wildlife Trade MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Clamping down on risk of unsafe PPE MoD News 0
soleil The News: "Royal Navy Destroyer Prone To Breaking Down In The Gulf Leaves Portsmouth For Key Engine Upgrade" The Fleet 3
MoD_RSS Trade Remedies Authority Chief Executive Designate steps down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sir Ian Cheshire to stand down as Government’s Lead Non-Executive Director MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government cracks down on spread of false coronavirus information online MoD News 0
BillyNoMates The Lock-Down thread 2020. Diamond Lil's 563
MoD_RSS Government knocks down barriers to productivity for tenant farmers MoD News 0