TRACK AND TRACE

fishhead

War Hero
As the journey out of lockdown crawls along our government has decreed we will have a system to track and trace anyone who has spent time with a new confirmed case of Corvid19. Many countries had a system like this from the outset but better late than never. To be successful, as similar systems have been in other countries, it requires a level of involvement and co-operation from the general public. We all managed to co-operate during the lockdown unless our work meant we couldn't and mostly it was a huge success having the intended result. Now, however, our media would have it that we may turn our collective noses up at track and trace because of the Cummings affair. I take this as an affront to our collective common sense. Whatever happened 2 months ago why would we chuck it all away today in a fit of pique?
I think we all appreciate that the country will never return to normal until Covid19 has been stamped out and I for one would rather it was sooner rather than later so a little encouragement from the media wouldn't go amiss rather than negative musings on how it could all go wrong.

huwshpis

War Hero
@fishhead, journo's rules:

1. The government is always wrong/crooked/incompetent . . . (take your pick).
2. In the unlikely event that a journalist is mistaken, Rule 1 applies.

fishhead

War Hero
Well Track and Trace has been running for a whole 4 days as I type this so how goes the war? The government took on 25,000 staff to undertake track and trace not knowing what the level of demand would be when it got going. Over the last few days the actual number of new cases detected by the testing system is just over 2000 so it doesn't take a genius to work out that some of the 25,000 are going to be under employed unless all the 2000 each had ten people that need tracing. Even then it's only one each so not a day's work by any stretch.
I suspect the BBC of having a couple of their junior staff embedded in the 25000 and they are feeding back that their is mostly sod all to do even thought they're getting paid whatever the level of demand.
Now, there are two ways to view this situation. a) the system is broken because agents are being given no work or b) the level of infection has dropped below what was expected at this juncture which is good news for all of us.
For most of the day the BBC chose option a)

Sumo

War Hero
Well Track and Trace has been running for a whole 4 days as I type this so how goes the war? The government took on 25,000 staff to undertake track and trace not knowing what the level of demand would be when it got going. Over the last few days the actual number of new cases detected by the testing system is just over 2000 so it doesn't take a genius to work out that some of the 25,000 are going to be under employed unless all the 2000 each had ten people that need tracing. Even then it's only one each so not a day's work by any stretch.
I suspect the BBC of having a couple of their junior staff embedded in the 25000 and they are feeding back that their is mostly sod all to do even thought they're getting paid whatever the level of demand.
Now, there are two ways to view this situation. a) the system is broken because agents are being given no work or b) the level of infection has dropped below what was expected at this juncture which is good news for all of us.
For most of the day the BBC chose option a)
the new hospitals and 25KT&T teams are lined up for the next 7 to 14 days, when the cases may start to climb, as a percentage believe they are invincible, others think lockdown reduced must be over, hence the lemmings packing themselves onto beaches and other holiday beauty spots.
If the Gov has over prepared, I am sure our blame the Gov press will say what a waste of money, but what would they say if not prepared for the second wave?
I agree its about time the press reported on what has gone well, give people a balanced view, and not try to constantly look for negative headlines, especially if they can blame the Gov.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
the new hospitals and 25KT&T teams are lined up for the next 7 to 14 days, when the cases may start to climb, as a percentage believe they are invincible, others think lockdown reduced must be over, hence the lemmings packing themselves onto beaches and other holiday beauty spots.
If the Gov has over prepared, I am sure our blame the Gov press will say what a waste of money, but what would they say if not prepared for the second wave?
I agree its about time the press reported on what has gone well, give people a balanced view, and not try to constantly look for negative headlines, especially if they can blame the Gov.
Locking away Laura Kuenssberg, Robert Peston and Piers Morgan would be a good start!

pompeyexpat

War Hero
I think the Government have done a lot of things badly, and some good things not as well as they might have done. (I'm also not sure anybody else that currently infests that nest of vipers would have done any better); but you're right, we do need more balanced reporting based on facts rather than and editorial viewpoint. And by balanced I mean looking at reasonable, if opposing views. Not putting some ill-educated mouthpiece up as if they hold some credible opinion.

Are we (society) part of the problem though? TV stations and TV programmes need ratings to survive; they feed us garbage but we watch it and therefore they feed us more garbage because it's clearly what we want. Headlines, Facebook shares, Twitter retweets - they go to comments and articles that are controversial or combative. (I'd like to say thought provoking, but I genuinely despair over the number of people that would rather not have to be forced into thinking, into confronting their own beliefs and opinions and seeing if they stand up). Nice stuff, intelligent stuff, balanced stuff - it's there but we prefer the sensational, the shocking. I'll use Professor Karol Sikora as an example. An Oncologist for 50 years, a Professor of Medicine and a former director of the WHO Cancer Programme. A man who tweets and writes useful, interesting articles. A man who tries to spread positivity and present a balanced view. And a man who has considerably less followers and therefore less influence than Piers Morgan - an absolute arse of a man. So are we to blame?

Or are we merely guilty of being influenced by the media; there's so much information out there can we really be expected to be able to sift out the good from all the bad? Should the media act more responsibly and ensure we get a balanced view? And if so, who's going to make them? The Government? Because they (by which I mean both sides of the house) have no interest in that - their only interest is in making sure we get the message they want us to get.

Personally I think it's up to us to ensure we're educated, to ensure that we take the time to look at all sides and make an informed decision. The problem, as I see it, is that that takes an ability to apply critical thinking, and critical thinking needs to be learned, and it's either not taught or not given enough weight.

Sumo

War Hero
@pompeyexpat When I see a raging headline, my first thought is, why are they saying that in that manor, who benefits from that angle, what other angles are possible, it doesn't take long to form an opinion, so if I am interested I look harder just incase I have missed something.
For me it would appear it is part of my dyslexia, to ability to look at angles of any issue simultaneously, in meetings I have suggested a way forwarded, ignored, 3 hours later having been around in circles, they get to the same conclusion, then sometimes I was asked how the hell did you know that from the beginning? do not know I just did?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I no longer watch 'the news', which is quite sad. I used to commence my day with GMTV or whatever it is called today, but have now had more than my fill of Gobshite shouting at everyone. Morning BBC is just too wishy-washy. Evening news just seems to be either somebody pointing out the obvious or some twat complaining - we have the Scouser wife suing because her elderly football fanatic husband went to a match, caught the bug and died. We have the three mummies who are suing because their children have been treated like germ carrying vermin. And there are others..... lots of others.

The problem is - what will happen if we do get a huge second wave? With all the businesses that have gone down the pan already and all the 'it won't happen to me' idiots? It will be a VERY scary time.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I no longer watch 'the news', which is quite sad. I used to commence my day with GMTV or whatever it is called today, but have now had more than my fill of Gobshite shouting at everyone. Morning BBC is just too wishy-washy. Evening news just seems to be either somebody pointing out the obvious or some twat complaining - we have the Scouser wife suing because her elderly football fanatic husband went to a match, caught the bug and died. We have the three mummies who are suing because their children have been treated like germ carrying vermin. And there are others..... lots of others.

The problem is - what will happen if we do get a huge second wave? With all the businesses that have gone down the pan already and all the 'it won't happen to me' idiots? It will be a VERY scary time.
Considering all the morons crowding on to beaches and in parks, if a second wave does occur I see it as Darwinism in action when they start keeling over. I feel for the NHS staff who'll have to cope with it

slim

War Hero
Considering all the morons crowding on to beaches and in parks, if a second wave does occur I see it as Darwinism in action when they start keeling over. I feel for the NHS staff who'll have to cope with it
But Wrecker these cupid stunts are my heroes and heroines. Because of these thick sh!ts we may get our herd immunity :)

Off Caps

Speaking from New Zealand, where we seem to have done quite well at limiting the casualties.
Our PM is a very good communicator and has the DG of Health right alongside, when doing the the daily press briefing.
I have two Apps for track and trace, neither seem too practical, on both, you need to scan a QR code, most places don't seem to have them on display, so Tracer Apps are as good as the implementation at public level.
Most places have hand sanitiser available and encourage you to use it before you enter the premises.
We are about to officially go to Level 1 next week, but when out and about it is pretty obvious that we are already there in practice. Best of British to you all over there, I hope you get through it, despite the political handicap.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
We are about to officially go to Level 1 next week
Is NZ using the same criteria for the risk level as the UK?

I did see that NZ declared zero cases earlier in the week, well done to them. But I guess it's easier when you are so well isolated, geographically, to begin with. If only we (the UK) had sea all around us, with a navy and a boarder force to police it...….

Ah, I'll get back to you....

Sumo

War Hero

I did see that NZ declared zero cases earlier in the week, well done to them. But I guess it's easier when you are so well isolated, geographically, to begin with. If only we (the UK) had sea all around us, with a navy and a boarder force to police it...….

Ah, I'll get back to you....
that's all fine, its them dam airplanes that keep bringing in people, put them in quarantine I say.o_O

People trying to dodge the boarder force, NZ don't have that as they are trying to escape? ;)

Last edited:

Off Caps

No, I looked at what you have, doesn’t say what people need to do, ours tells people what they should be doing.
Bit like the Andrew, do this, do that, report. Level 5 kiss your arse goodbye. Now wash your hands!

Taztiff

War Hero
Scammers have started - from facebook

Just to let you know this is a telephone call my friend received today. Be aware folks. X
‘Good morning, I'm calling from the NHS track and trace service. According to our system, you are likely to have been in close proximity to someone who has tested postive for COVID-19. This means that you now need to self-isolate for 7 days and take a COVID-19 test.'

'OK. Can you tell me who that person was?'

'I'm not able to tell you that. That is confidential information.'

'Right. Um... so ....'

'But you do need to be tested within the next 72 hours. So can I just get the best mailing address so that we can send a kit to you?'

'Ok (gives address)'

'Thank you - and I just need to take a payment card so that we can finalise this and send the kit to you.'

'Sorry - a payment card? I though this was all free?'

'No - I'm afraid not. There is a one-off fee of £500 for the kit, and test results. Could you read off the long card number for me, please, when you're ready.'

'No - that's not right. This is part of the NHS so there's no charge.'

'I'm afraid there is. Can you give me the card number please - this is very important, and there are penalties for not complying.'

Puts phone down.

This is how scammers work. And vulnerable people will fall for it.

Don't fall for it...!

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Scammers have started - from facebook

Just to let you know this is a telephone call my friend received today. Be aware folks. X
‘Good morning, I'm calling from the NHS track and trace service. According to our system, you are likely to have been in close proximity to someone who has tested postive for COVID-19. This means that you now need to self-isolate for 7 days and take a COVID-19 test.'

'OK. Can you tell me who that person was?'

'I'm not able to tell you that. That is confidential information.'

'Right. Um... so ....'

'But you do need to be tested within the next 72 hours. So can I just get the best mailing address so that we can send a kit to you?'

'Ok (gives address)'

'Thank you - and I just need to take a payment card so that we can finalise this and send the kit to you.'

'Sorry - a payment card? I though this was all free?'

'No - I'm afraid not. There is a one-off fee of £500 for the kit, and test results. Could you read off the long card number for me, please, when you're ready.'

'No - that's not right. This is part of the NHS so there's no charge.'

'I'm afraid there is. Can you give me the card number please - this is very important, and there are penalties for not complying.'

Puts phone down.

This is how scammers work. And vulnerable people will fall for it.

Don't fall for it...!
Shameful that these parasites are out there. As you say, there are always going to be some who will fall for this, which is what makes them do it.

Have you reported it to someone? Not sure who, but I would start with Citizens Advice.

Taztiff

War Hero
Shameful that these parasites are out there. As you say, there are always going to be some who will fall for this, which is what makes them do it.

Have you reported it to someone? Not sure who, but I would start with Citizens Advice.

Wish I could report, but as I noted, this was from Facebook. A friend posted it and I thought it needed a wider audience.
I dont normally repost stuff off that platform but this is exactly the sort of stuff that is happening and targeting the vulnerable.
Tazz

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Coronavirus test, track and trace plan launched on Isle of Wight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Near miss with a track worker at Leighton Buzzard MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Return to work plan remains on track MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM confirms schools, colleges and nurseries on track to begin phased reopening MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New pumps keep £35 million flood defence scheme on track MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major home testing programme for coronavirus will track levels of infection in the community MoD News 1
MoD_RSS DASA awards £2m to fast-track autonomous vehicles in harsh conditions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulations temporarily suspended to fast-track supplies of PPE to NHS staff and protect companies hit by COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A raft of ideas to help track down the elusive water vole MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Interim report 01/2019: Track workers struck by a train at Margam MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Near miss with track workers near Kirtlebridge MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 12/2019: Near miss with a track worker near Gatwick Airport station MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Multi-million pound funding to protect child abuse victims and track down offenders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Keeping British MotoGP visitors on track for safer rides MoD News 0
MoD_RSS On the right track: Homes England signs Hecurl to develop 150 ’Build to Rent’ homes at Corby Station MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Report 04/2019: Near miss between a train and a track worker at Peterborough MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Near miss with a track worker at Ynys Hir MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: On track for inclusivity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government on track to create one million new school places this decade MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: £30m boost to fast-track battlefield apps MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: 250 HS2 apprentices on track for success MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: No Fast Track application window in 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Near miss with track workers at Browney Curve MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Trade Remedies Authority on track to protect UK industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Near miss with a track worker, Gatwick MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Near miss with track workers at Sundon MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Report 20/2018: Near miss with track workers and trolleys at South Hampstead MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: British firms on track to score World Cup deals worth £1.5 billion MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Spanish investment puts UK rail industry on the fast track MoD News 0
L HMS Sultan AET Training/ Leading Hand Fast Track Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
MoD_RSS News story: Dstl-style sensors track Santa's Christmas Eve Deliveries MoD News 0
B ME 'fast-track' limbo malaise Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
D Will having engineering quals prior to joining, fast-track my career in the RN? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
S Fast Track For ME's The Fleet 11
BFRS Fast Track Professional Adobe Photoshop Course The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS CIPD Intermediate Certificate/Diploma in Human Resource Management (Fast Track) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
S HERMES - fast track young officers Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 22
soleil Southern Echo: "HMS Dragon Sanctioned To Track Russian Vessel Off Scottish Waters" The Fleet 6
Dealwithit Keeping track of time? RFA 1
Apple_Catchers A typical "fast track rating" The Gash Barge 32
P DT article on Russians (trying) to track Trident boats Submariners 13
Z AET Fast track The Fleet Air Arm 30
H Fast track basic? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
BillyNoMates RN's new carrier programme "back on track" Diamond Lil's 0
Pete_N Fast Track Recruitment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
C fast-track board The Fleet Air Arm 22
left_handed_sailor Fast track at BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
higthepig Off the track posts Diamond Lil's 34
slim Drunk Falls Asleep On Railway Track Diamond Lil's 15
Shakey Track someone's mobile! Diamond Lil's 3