Tracing my Grandfather

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by onthedeck, Aug 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I hope this is posted in the correct section.

My grandfather served in the Second World War, I believe he ended as a Lieutenant in the RNVR. His service number was MX 65985 S/A. Does the MX or S/A mean something?

I have applied for his service record, which has yet to arrive. We have have absolutely no idea in what ship(s) he served in, although my own father was born in Dunfermline as they were stationed at up that way, there is also family talk that he served on Minesweeepers.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Hello and welcome to Rum Ration.

Regarding the MX part of your grandfathers service number, the link below will help explain the meaning. S/A would be his branch, although I can't recall having come across S/A before - perhaps another member on Rum Ration might be able to help you with the branch. NAVY OFFICIAL NUMBERS [RATINGS].htm

Edited due to dottiness!
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  3. Appreciate you posting that link, all info is very interesting and welcomed.
  4. Schoolmaster candidate 1943 HMS Waxwing Hostilities onlyS/Lt RNVR 16/8/1945Instructor Lt RNVR Instructor Lt. Cmd. RNVR 1/5/19521943/44 HMS Waxwing1945 HMS Pintail1946 South African Naval Forces1947 ditto1949-1956 London Division RNVR
  5. Jacko,

Appreciate your response, although unclear what you are telling me, Would you mind elaborating?

6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Waxwing & Pintail sound like air stations and as I've not come across them before suspect they are in the back of beyond on a flat bit of land nobody else wanted. As a Schoolie your man was probably there to do meteorology which was a Schoolie part of ship. In National Service days Graduates could dodge the nasty bits by taking a 3 year direct RNVR commission and doing Met.
  7. Pintail was, as far as I can trace, RNAS Nutts Corner near Aldergrove, now Belfast international airport.

Also a Corvette sunk in 1941

HMS Waxwing was a shore base (Transit camp "just a bunch of Nissen huts")on the Clyde, between Dunfermeline and Kingseat.

8. Google Royal Navy (RN) Officers 1939-1945 You'll find your father under Mich-Moir Sorry grandfather
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012