Tracing my Grandfather

I hope this is posted in the correct section.

My grandfather served in the Second World War, I believe he ended as a Lieutenant in the RNVR. His service number was MX 65985 S/A. Does the MX or S/A mean something?

I have applied for his service record, which has yet to arrive. We have have absolutely no idea in what ship(s) he served in, although my own father was born in Dunfermline as they were stationed at up that way, there is also family talk that he served on Minesweeepers.

Any help would be appreciated.

I hope this is posted in the correct section.My grandfather served in the Second World War, I believe he ended as a Lieutenant in the RNVR. His service number was MX 65985 S/A. Does the MX or S/A mean something?I have applied for his service record, which has yet to arrive. We have have absolutely no idea in what ship(s) he served in, although my own father was born in Dunfermline as they were stationed at up that way, there is also family talk that he served on Minesweeepers. Any help would be appreciated.
Schoolmaster candidate 1943 HMS Waxwing Hostilities onlyS/Lt RNVR 16/8/1945Instructor Lt RNVR Instructor Lt. Cmd. RNVR 1/5/19521943/44 HMS Waxwing1945 HMS Pintail1946 South African Naval Forces1947 ditto1949-1956 London Division RNVR

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Waxwing & Pintail sound like air stations and as I've not come across them before suspect they are in the back of beyond on a flat bit of land nobody else wanted. As a Schoolie your man was probably there to do meteorology which was a Schoolie part of ship. In National Service days Graduates could dodge the nasty bits by taking a 3 year direct RNVR commission and doing Met.

Pintail was, as far as I can trace, RNAS Nutts Corner near Aldergrove, now Belfast international airport.

Also a Corvette sunk in 1941

HMS Waxwing was a shore base (Transit camp "just a bunch of Nissen huts")on the Clyde, between Dunfermeline and Kingseat.

I hope this is posted in the correct section.My grandfather served in the Second World War, I believe he ended as a Lieutenant in the RNVR. His service number was MX 65985 S/A. Does the MX or S/A mean something?I have applied for his service record, which has yet to arrive. We have have absolutely no idea in what ship(s) he served in, although my own father was born in Dunfermline as they were stationed at up that way, there is also family talk that he served on Minesweeepers. Any help would be appreciated.
Google Royal Navy (RN) Officers 1939-1945 You'll find your father under Mich-Moir Sorry grandfather

Last edited: