Trace your surname

Discussion in 'Social & Reunions' started by sgtpepperband, Nov 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

2. Nice to see where the ancestors came from - cheers

3. Very interesting sgt...ta 8)

4. Very intresting,my surname is very common in durham and newcastle in 1881 and that has hardly changed. Maybe thats why no one down here can pronoce it properly

5. I am English through and through despite having what would be considered to be a welsh surname....apparently accordng to the survey very predominant in North Wales......at least I have an explanation now for my webbed feet...I'd assumed it was severe athlete's foot :twisted: :twisted:

6. Suffolk, the West Country and South Wales (that's a surprise). Most of us are, not surprisingly, concentrated (purple) in Devon. Not to mention the various parts of Africa where many of my relatives are Missionaries, or, er, the RN itself! :oops: :lol: Yes, one of your senior Padre's is a distant relative! :oops: :oops: :oops:

7. A little surprised to see that my surname isn't mostly found in the town of the same name, whereas Boyfriend's is.
    Interesting link, thanks.

8. Damn!!! :p 99.75 % English. So proud. I can trace my family back to the 1700's, and they all come from within 20 miles of where I am now. But thats not what that map shows?
    RoofRat

9. Just confirmed that Iam an East Angle Iron.

Keep Striving

10. Its interesting to follow the link to your Mosaic type, aparently I'm a "summer playground > heres the link"http://www.business-strategies.co.uk/Content.asp?ArticleID=566

11. Went with my Granddad's surname, very interesting in deed - mostly ranging in the Black Isles area in 1881, which would tie greatly into the family. 1998, it hasn't changed much at all.

12. I'm denying everything, I am not a Celt (did I spell that right?), or Welsh. Though as I was born in Ludlow I suppose I should expect a bit of central Wales or the Welsh Marches to have seeped through.

However the pronunciation I get from various Call centres looking to trick me into their plan, I think I may have a touch of Malt in there. :oops:

13. West coast of Scotland and its islands, Cheers

14. The North of Scotland for me, although it looks like weve conqured some regions to the south too!! :wink:

Spenny

15. I've got the highlands and the ports covered....

16. I put in "Gobshite" apparently there there are less then 100 of us in the UK

Nutty

17. Ferk me ime a jock/family lived in Durham last 300 years now I find that the majority of my family name live in north jock land and its not even a jock name/must be the sheep up there or black pudding

18. Nutty, it goes to show just how "Unique" you are!!

Keep Striving

19. I will move this thread to the 'social' forum; seems more fitting.

J_D
    xx

20. OMG apparently I'm WELSH......the shame!

no it's ok just checked the ol family tree and I'm Cornish.......so celtic anyway.....