Town wants to be associated with submarines

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by S-Boat_Dinosaur, Apr 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Logically, HMS Birkenhead would be next, for Cammell Laird. Then HMS Blockhouse?

2. INS BRADFORD or PNS BRADFORD has a certain ring to it.

No doubt the ship's company of HMS BARROW would be known as the Barrow Boys. In the shiplift, would she be the Wheel BARROW? Of course, come the big day for the breaker's yard, parts of her would become BARROW in furnace!

3. Being from barrow i can tell you the subs (i know there boat, but i was a barovian first and there subs :p ) are a huge part of the town. Everyone knows someone who works in BAE and many people are very proud of what the town builds.
    I think they should at least name one after the town.

4. Rosyth was a bit like that, then Rifkind and the Tories stepped in
    geoff(ers) :nemo:

5. I want Bromley to be associated with submarines, but as it's landlocked that might possible present a wee problem?

6. Our adopted town was landlocked Wigan, so there is hope for you.
    We had an annual visit and was royally hosted by local organisations, including the Wigan nurses home.

7. I don't see why it should, there are lots of precedents - Monmouth for example very actively supports HMS Monmouth and the Ship visits regularly, usually berthing in Cardiff and then parties going to and from the town. Bromley could easily do something similar.

8. If Bromley Council supported a ship it would need a name like HMS Celibate, HMS Sinfree or HMS Jesus, as we're run by a cabal of Conservative evangelical God Botherers! :lol:

9. Having stood by in Barrow, it does seem like a marriage made in heaven. Ones dank, smelly and full of mongs, the other is a submarine.

BTW Danny
    Is the New 99 still open?