Tourettes is it a syndrome or a gift?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by slim, Oct 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With the guy who suffers? with tourettes syndrome winning big brother I must ask the question is it a syndrome or a gift? Fancy being able to you officer to fcuk off and then getting case admonished on defaulters.

Responses on a Fcuking postcard you [email protected]

2. What is Tourette Syndrome?

Tourette syndrome (TS) is a neurological disorder characterized by repetitive, stereotyped, involuntary movements and vocalizations called tics. The first symptoms of TS are almost always noticed in childhood. Some of the more common tics include eye blinking and other vision irregularities, facial grimacing, shoulder shrugging, and head or shoulder jerking. Perhaps the most dramatic and disabling tics are those that result in self-harm such as punching oneself in the face, or vocal tics including coprolalia (uttering swear words) or echolalia (repeating the words or phrases of others). Many with TS experience additional neurobehavioral problems including inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity, and obsessive-compulsive symptoms such as intrusive thoughts/worries and repetitive behaviors.

3. Did you see that 'documentary' a few months ago about a summer camp in America for kids with Tourettes? Fucking brilliant.

One of the girls was even accusing another one of using the Tourettes as an excuse to be a bitch to her. ie, really shouting fucking slag at her and it not just being the Tourettes talking.

The bit where they went into town was hilarious. This one lad was shouting 'Nigger!' at some black family and they were all telling him to shut up even though they were all pissing themselves, and then he ended up repeatedly shouting 'Twin Towers!' at the top of his voice pissing himself laughing and dead embarrassed at the same time.

They were lucky they didn't all get lynched.

There was a follow up documentary about the original Torettes celebrity that Scottish lad. He's grown up now and working in a youth centre. How innappropriate is that? Groups of thirteen and fourteen year olds trying to behave themselves whilst a grown up walks past shouting 'Cunt!' and 'Wanker!' at them. Very strange.

I knew a bloke with Tourettes once called Noel and he ran a comedy club. He didn't swear though, he just twitched a bit.

4. I think I have acquired Tourette's Syndrome. It manifests itself whenever I come into contact with Joint Supply Solutions.

5. FUCK OFF

6. Oooh Higgy, I love it when you talk dirty!

7. So what you're saying is that generations of naval instructors at training establishments and especially at HMS Excellent (at least when instructing RNXS bods how to march correctly for the RAH Remembrance Day thingy) didn't deliberately swear - they all really had Tourettes? :roll:

I wish I'd known, I thought it was personal! :( So now I know, the POGI did't really mean I was a fcuking cnut? Phew! :)

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I think He probably did :lol:

9. An I`m sure he definitely did... er. WANK

………….

10. Whale Island Gunnery instructors did not tell lies and always got personal

Tourettes Syndrome tendencies probably helped when dealing with half wits ................. :lol: :lol:

11. I believe with TS it is when the behaviour is innappropriate it becomes a health issue. For example many cases of bad language are simply ignorance. With GIs this may well be the cause with an inability to teach or instruct without resorting to cursing.Put simply they didn't know any better and were still using methods developed when sailors only understood such treatment, it appears to have been effective though.
    One RN case that did interest me was the recent matter of the submarine CO who abused his own officers. This was a classic display of TS low impulse control and I suspect that man was/is suffering some form of heavy metal poisoning. This fits the coprolalia model of the syndrome. The behaviour of the CO was totally out of character for a person in such a responsible position and if no investigations were made as to the cause of the behaviour that is sad as well as poor medical practice.
    Yes there must be thousands of poor bastards walking around with this problem put in the too hard basket by incompetant medics when a simple detox would solve many cases allowing return to a normal life.

12. There is an oriental girl works in the chemist near my Mum's house, she is a tasty bird and qualified pharmacist but every couple of minutes she just shouts WHOOP ! Fucking brilliant. I would try to smooth in if it wasn't for Mrs Ling and her skills with edged weapons.

13. All Skippers slag their subordinates don't they/ or have I just been sailng with some right shits?

14. We had a lad on the Glasgow with tourettes.
    I realised when on a train to Glasgow from Faslane for a mess run ashore, I found myself sitting opposite him and taking notice for the first time in 12 months.

I said, "You've got a major twitch going there!"

He replied,"No I fucking haven't!"

When the lads finally recovered from the hysterics, they actually accused me of being slow on the uptake!

Can you imagine?

15. Not to the extent that this guy did I understand so it became a major issue and something was done. Far more common than most realise. Could be some examples of Cyber TS on this site,

:lol:

16. Oh well then, Now I understand.

Half-Wit AAC

17. Fxxxxxxxxg Twxxs , Arseholes , :oops:

18. I parked in a disabled bay today and a traffic warden came over to me and said "hey, what's your disability?" I said "Tourettes, now fuck off you cunt."

19. Nice one jimmy , :roll:

20. Fuck off , :oops: