Totally undecided

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Benjamin193, Jan 24, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just put my application in for hydrographic officer , the recruiter spent most of the time trying to get me to apply for submariner but now ive gone away and thought about it im warming to the idea ! Totally undecided , can any ex submariners give me a better insight , is it true the deployments are shorter ?
    Thanks

2. Hyd officer on subs at morning met brief "today gentlemen it will be wet outside".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. What have deployment lengths got to do with it? You either want to join or you don't. SM deployments can be longer or shorter, depending on class, role etc. etc. 3 mths deployed on a "fourknotter" is probably worse than 6-8mths deployed on a real submarine, depends what your priorities are

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Your ACLO may well advise what job options are available, but the choice is yours. There's categorically no point trying to pusuade someone to join in a different branch as they are far, far more likely to become disaffected and quit.

If unsure, join the General Service as you are later free to volunteer to join the Submarine Service, once you have a better insight.

If you join the Submarine Service with no prior knowledge, transfering to the General Service is a far less likely option.