Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Tot Time

Thanks Nutty & Maxi for educating me. Clearly it was more wholesome than half a pint of milk, though the latter was no doubt good for healthy growing bones. Perhaps a rum and milk mixture would have been more welcome for weary trainees.

Regarding LeFanu, my source was Richard Baker's biography of him:
Dry Ginger, W.H.Allen, 1977, pp231-232. For those interested, there is a whole chapter (pp.118-129) on Ganges.

Harryaitch, in response to you question about rum and appetite, there was some research a while back which showed that any consumption of alcohol increases one's appetite.

NozzyNozzer said:
Harryaitch, in response to you question about rum and appetite, there was some research a while back which showed that any consumption of alcohol increases one's appetite.

Same goes for most alcohol..... consider the stuff Jack eats after closing time that he wouldn't feed to the ship's cat when sober! The only time I ever had a 'Kebab' was a "Messy Doner" from a van in Pompey, late at night. By the time I got through the dockyard I was covered in the stuff - chilli sauce, bits of salad, onions....

In my first few days at the Annexe, Ganges, 1967, I was baffled that our Chief - a loud Chief Gunner (QA) - smelt vaguely of something like rhubard and custard after dinner, when we'd seen nothing of it with our scran. Took a long time to discover the source - and for that white spittle around his gob when he shouted at us.

Moose milk!

RECIPE - Moose Milk
This is a recipe with a long and (dis)honourable tradition in the RCN. Strangely enough, it was invented by the RCAF, who then sort of gave up on it once all those grubby matelots got involved.

Note: This is an industrial recipe, suitable for the entire C&PO's mess. Scale as appropriate to the size of your party.

5 gallons vanilla ice cream
5 gallons 2% milk
40 oz Kahlua
40 oz Baileys' Irish Cream
40 oz Vodka
40 oz Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum
40 oz Lambs Navy 151 dark rum

Options:
1) substitute maple-walnut ice cream (gives it speed bumps) for vanilla
2) substitute chocolate ice cream for vanilla
3) substitute 40 oz Bacardi White Rum for the Spiced Rum
4) substitute 40 oz Jamaican Rum for the Spiced Rum

Serves 40. Collect car keys beforehand.

NozzyNozzer said:
Thanks Nutty & Maxi for educating me. Clearly it was more wholesome than half a pint of milk, though the latter was no doubt good for healthy growing bones. Perhaps a rum and milk mixture would have been more welcome for weary trainees.

Regarding LeFanu, my source was Richard Baker's biography of him:
Dry Ginger, W.H.Allen, 1977, pp231-232. For those interested, there is a whole chapter (pp.118-129) on Ganges.

Thankyou Nozzy,my appetite has waned over the years so I better get more grog onboard. :roll:

Still got half a gallon of the real McCoy, bought in Gib 1978 in wicker covered jar.

Not that fond of modern commercially available stuff, including Pussers, but this is nectar!

moose.gif

The Official
(well...sort of)
Recipe for
RCAF
Moose Milk

HERE

There was the odd fiddle or two that the old SAV's used now and again to provide themselves and their oppos with some illicit rations.

<gasp>

Nah... I've dished out more tots in the Andrew than I've had hot dinners, and I'm here to swear that none of my fiddles were in the the least odd.

Erm - that's to say I was never an old SA(V). No, no, I mean, there were never any illicit rations. Well, anyhow, oppos were a bit thin on the ground.

Psst.... Herrings-in, anyone?

Herrings In! Pure ambrosia no wonder they came in a gold tin.

As did those 56lb drums of Cottonseed cooking oil, but they were a bit of a b*gger to tuck under yer shirt, so as currency, they wuz a bit flawed.

S'pose they're all on Extra Virgin Olive Oil now to save the arteries.

jackdusty said:
Herrings In! Pure ambrosia no wonder they came in a gold tin.

As did those 56lb drums of Cottonseed cooking oil, but they were a bit of a b*gger to tuck under yer shirt, so as currency, they wuz a bit flawed.

S'pose they're all on Extra Virgin Olive Oil now to save the arteries.

I don't know about the olive oil, but as to the virgins, that's another matter!

G'day All

I still await an answer to the following question I posed so long ago from a Senior Rate or Officer who served after 31th July 1970.

Quote from my previous posting:

" The High Tech equipment was the excuse. Was none of this High Tech equipment operated in harbour when Officers/Senior Rates now had unlimited access booze????." Unquote

Nutty

For all you Submariner's its worth noting that up until I left in 2000 (it may still be the case) you were presented with your dolphins in a tot by the captain on completion of your part 3, the idea being to catch the dolphins in your teeth. Just wondered where this tradition stemmed from and if its still alive today.

Latest Threads