Torn between Merchant or Royal Navy?

I have an offer for a deck officer cadetship with a merchant company but due to time in cadets the military is always where my heart has been so do you think becoming a rating as AET or Aircraft Controller would be a wiser decision than the merchant navy?

Seadog

War Hero
...but due to time in cadets the military is always where my heart has been...
It’s up to you, not some faceless, nameless cynics without the experience and knowledge needed to compare the choices.

Ask yourself where each choice may take you and how the journey may be, best and worst case.

Hate to say this but @Seadog I right. There are plenty on here that are and have had a good career in the RN but not many with both RN & March backgrounds.
We always say don't sell yourself short look at what attracts you to both and go with your gut feeling. Joining one because it's quick and easy may not be the best.
Good luck

Seadog

War Hero
After 15 years one path may lead to a Master Mariner’s Ticket and 4 ring Command of a prestigious vessel and all the responsibilities and rewards that go with it.

In the same time the other may lead to Petty Officer rating, sharing a cabin with other snoring, farting, wanking, swamping matelots.

Is It possible to transfer any qualifications over to the Royal Navy in say 10 years if I decided that a career in the royal navy is what I wanted to do? eg OOW Certificates and would a Foundation Degree count for a degree for an officers position.

After 15 years one path may lead to a Master Mariner’s Ticket and 4 ring Command of a prestigious vessel and all the responsibilities and rewards that go with it.

In the same time the other may lead to Petty Officer rating, sharing a cabin with other snoring, farting, wanking, swamping matelots.
Ah, memories..;) I'd go Merchant. And join the RNR at some point in the future.

Seadog

War Hero
Is It possible to transfer any qualifications over to the Royal Navy in say 10 years if I decided that a career in the royal navy is what I wanted to do? eg OOW Certificates and would a Foundation Degree count for a degree for an officers position.
After 10 years, take your STCW OOW Ticket and apply to the RFA for the best of both worlds. Prepare to be asked why after 10 years you haven’t got a Chief Officer’s Ticket. I and others have written of the overlap of the RN and RFA ( mostly Officer appointments ). Use the site search engine.

For me, go Merch!!!!!
I tried for the Merchant Navy as a Nav officer way back. (Passed all the tests for acceptance to South Shields - then father wouldn't sign my papers as I was only 15) (Long story cut short)
I ended up a aircraft mechanic in the RN.
To this day I regret not having gone through for the Merchant Navy.
Don't get me wrong, I had a blast in the RN - but you just have to go where circumstances drive you.
Good luck in your decision making!!

As I see it, you might be able to join the MN at any time later on, while the RN is limited due to age and such. So if you go RN, you get to potentially do both. Not to mention also being able to do the RFA. Maybe, due to military discipline and different constraints, it will also be easier to go from a military setting to a normal setting rather than the other way around. Thinking things like work hours and bunkspace.

huwshpis

Lantern Swinger
If you join the RN as a seaman officer and get a navigational watchkeeping certificate, this can be carried over into the MN as the equivalent of STCW certification. Merchant Shipping Notice MSN 1856 mention a memorandum of understanding between the RN and the MCGA, but I haven't been able to find the text of the MoU.