Tories on Health

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Karma, Sep 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. More political verbage from the Westminster village about out of hours health care.

Responsibility for out-of-hours health services should be transferred back to GPs, the Conservative Party has said.

2. Ask them who cocked up the Health Service in the first place.
    I remember Kenneth Clark calling all us ambulancemen glorified taxi drivers during the dispute in 86.
    Didnt go down very well with the public.

The GP out hours system is like the curates egg,good in parts.
    The public in South Staffs realise that if they wait until 1830 during the week and anytime at the weekend they can get a GP appointment at a PCC asap.
    Also a paramedic will call and give out free drugs etc(prscription only I might add).
    Sadly a lot of GP's dont even want to see patients during normal hours never mind out of hours.
    They have it made.

3. The NHS is set to become a black hole. technology and scientific discovery will guarantee it. Don't get me wrong, it is a superb service. Can it, though, support treatment costing £1,000 per week per person?

4. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Superb service? Really? My wife spent four very uncomfortable days in one of the nation's flagship hospitals recently, in an emergency theatre and ward system. The staff were hard pressed, in some cases uncommunicative and unprofessional and the management structure was appalling, with many ward assistants not knowing what the left and right hands were doing, and some dioctors and surgeons issuing contradictory information when pressed for answers. Oh, but you should see the hand cleansing stations every twenty feet, sir. The onus is on 'care' not gimmicks and how lean we can run things on threppence ha'penny. Fabulous fallback is this 'hard-pressed' notion, but someone is running the NHS like a sweatshop insdustry and it doesn't take too much digging to find that the responsible actions are (once again) consultancy tranches which recommend 'good business practices' and 'rationalisations'. Whichever way you look at it, providing point of service healthcare for sixty million people is going to be an expensive venture, and alluding to tax cuts as manifesto pledges whilst paring down public services is an abhorrent manouevre. My wife has private healthcare insurance - it costs money - and maybe if we started to educate this nation away from the more cars they can get in their driveways and the bigger televisions they can own (I am a prime guily party of this) and make them believe that if the government taxes them a bit more then it won't be spunked on uncommon sense bullshit from KPMG et al, hen we'd get what we need, not what we deserve.

Levers

5. Find a Tory election broadcast from 40years ago and replay it; nothing much will have changed.

6. Sorry, I meant superb principle. I would suggest, though, that the service received is not that bad, overall.

Ponder this: a supressant for HIV is found that costs £1,000 a week to maintain a normal standard of life. Very laudable and very welcome for the unfortunates so infected. I believe that there around 65K diagnosed cases in the UK (BBC). So where would that place us?

8. Wasn't he caught, sentenced and, fortunately for us taxpayers, hang himself? Doesn't sound like "getting away with murder".

As for the rest of the situation, it is hardly comparable to look at the Conservatives of the mid eighties with those of today. Parties change, policies change. The question of healthcare in the UK will only get more and more heated. We have an aging population, lower birthrates and someone is going to have to pay for medical assistance. Either it will directly paid for, such as through medical insurance, or indirectly through taxation.

As for the pop at KPMG et al, not sure where you get the impression that it is their fault from.

9. Thanks for pointing that out OSLO, my point was that he commited terrible terrible crimes against the elderly and vulnerable for many years before he was eventually caught. The exact figures as to how many people died at his hands are still unknown.

NB

10. Couldn't agree more on the demographic point. Healthcare is expensive and something will have to give elsewhere if the Health Service is to provide what is expected. Having worked in and around it for a long time, I don't see how it can survive in its present form, but the politicos daren't suggest moving away from the "free at point of delivery" concept.

I think that a free service is needed for emergency care and for those in the poorest situations, but that all other forms of healthcare should be financed through private insurance. Most of our so-called partners in Europe have infinitely better health provision than do we, without anything equivalent to the NHS.

Where I agree with LA is that too much public money has been squandered in the last couple of decades. I would love to see how much the NHS Modernisation Agency cost and it achieved the square root of FA. And when the true cost of PFIs hits home, there'll be hell to pay!

11. Is this the 'Conservative' Conservatives or 'David Camorons Conservatives' Conservatives?

12. Shipman would have been caught much earlier had his prematurely dying patients been children. Equally he'd still be killing his patients today were it not for his attemted fraud by altering the will of one of his patients whose solicitor daughter spotted and challenged his attempted fraud.

On the health policy front, there's a conflict between repeated villifications of the lower echelons of the public sector workforce and professed assertions of backing front line workers. The reduction in the numbers of administrators in hospitals by the Thatcher government led to front line staff (clinicians and nursing staff) having to take on the administration as an additional burden, which I remember observing as a frequent hospital patient. The fact is that administrators are cheaper than nurses (or policemen, for that matter) but villifying and cutting support staff is seen as a test of political machismo, rather that the act of economic inefficiency it constitutes.