Top Table's

Discussion in 'Social & Reunions' started by Joint_Force_Harrier, Oct 16, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Going to a junior service top table at Brize Norton in November (Old Crab mate of mine).

As I no longer have rig I'm going to wear a suit, do I wear miniature medals with it? or not? I believe all the crabs will be in mess dress.

2. Not sure but off the cuff answer "As Senior Service do as you want"

Edited to add:
    I do realise that as an ex WAFU your links to the Senior Service are tentative but what would the paramilitary arm of Ryan Air know.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Just a suit, I have been informed, but being senior service I want a seat on the top table :)

4. For what its worth ... I've been to Mess dinners as a civvy in a suit (with several other ex RN) and we've all worn miniature medals. I do agree with Rab ... Senior Service ... set the trend!

5. There will be two of us, that must equal at least 3 RAF Squadrons :)

6. JFH - I always turn out in the full 'Jock in a frock with a knife in the sock' formal gear, with my one miniature medal proudly surmounted by a baby set of dolphins.

PS get a copy of the speech if it is a Traf night do, as we need some new ones (winky thing!)

7. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Gentlemen's 'Evening dress' (not actually a dress) shawl neck ( my preference) available from John Lewis and M&S, black tie you tie yourself. Marcella front shirt carried over from your time as SR/WO/Officer, eye catching 'badged' cuff links. Shoes: smart, dressed, bulled plain toes, Oxford are horrible. Miniatures worn high on the shawl neck, not pongo jacket breast pocket style.

Or, as the rules say; when it's in the interests of the Service to do so, although retired, go in rig.

A suit and miniatures? Who suggested that? WTF? Are you in the RAF?

8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The cruise world attracts a lot of recently retired Senior Rates as passengers who wear mess dress & miniatures to various dressy events on board.

Lacking the 'stripes' of the ship's officers, delusions of godhood fade when uninformed punters mistake ex CHOPS(R) for ship's steward, 10 times. More gin less tonic my man.

Civvies it is then.

Those cruising with US based cruise companies may be more adored.

9. Go in your ovies, every crab mess I've been in had a couple lounging about in their flight gear.

• Like Like x 1