Top 20 war films

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by wet_blobby, Nov 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

A mate of mine who is single, has his own pad and is taking delivery of a hoofing great flat screen telly next weekend wants to start his own "Ultimate war film collection" He's a lucky cnut, I hate him really.

So when he's not entertaining hot chicks he wants to be able to kick back and watch classics, he suggested a top ten of films he should buy, I suggested twenty, I suspect it'll grow to thirty. What are everyones recommendations, I suggest:

Band of brothers.
    Cross of Iron
    Thin red line.
  2. you cnt forget saving private ryan
    ooo and An Ungentlemanly Act lol
  3. A Bridge Too Far ...Got to be good seeing the Paras getting a hiding! (Joking).
    The Battle of Britain..if only for Susannah York in webbing!
  4. Full Metal Jacket
    Hamburger Hill

I would recommend Blackhawk Down, except I can't watch it; it was my time and is too close to be able to watch it
  5. Saints and Soldiers
    We were Soldiers
    The Big Red One
    Sands of Iwo Jima
    Flags or our Fathers/Letters from Iwo Jima

My 20 yr old son has collected most of the ones that are going.

There is also the navy ones;
    We dive at dawn
    Above us the Waves etc etc etc
  6. I always loved "The Longest Day". Black and White escapism at its best.

7. Twenty? Hmmm. In my top 10 would be Dam Busters, Appointment in London, Cruel Sea, Ice Cold in Alex, Patton, Das Boot (the full set; not really a film), Angels One Five, Saving Private Ryan, Those in Peril and The Gallant Hours. It gets difficult after that.
  8. In which we Serve.
  9. U1571!!

(running away laughing) :walk:
  10. enemy at the gates, the blue max
  11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, no such film. Perhaps you mean U-571? If you're gonna get someone on a bite, get your facts right... :bball:
  12. 'U1571' isnt that the one where the Germans landed in Britain and stole all the secret code machines from Bletchley Park but were foiled by the Americans disguised as penguins?
  13. I have copies of my wedding and the dinner later. The war started from there.

The mother in law getting smacked with the tripod was best and in colour!! Good old Aunty Maud I always knew I could count on her!

Mother in law moaning fecking ex Jehovas Witness tawt preaching on the perils of drink at the table started it all.
  14. Downfall. On Channel 4 tonight. Don't let the subtitles put you off, it's a fantastic film.
  15. Pork chop hill.
    you would think they would have learned by then not to take hills at tremendous cost of lives then give it up.
    They did it again over and over in Vietnam and we do it in Affiestan[forts and villages]
    Think Gregory Peck was superb,his best film.
  16. Completely agree Harry :)

BoB, SPR

Does it have to be a WW film? What about Gladiator?
  17. Henry V with Lawrence Oliver - "For England , Harry & St George" - Great War Film
  18. i am wet blobbys mate with said"hoofing great telly" ,im on my todd xmas day soo im gonna collect war movies sit back and get well shit canned

* longest day (every time a rank is named take a two finger swig great game)
    * full metal jacket
    * platoon
    * band of brothers
    * the great escape
  19. No one should be on their own Xmas day. You would be welcome to join us, we are in Portsmouth, but there is a bit of an atmosphere in the Carley/stoker household at the mo, which is unlikely to get any better! Would not wish that on you.
  20. Paths of Glory......IMO Kirk Douglas at his best, WW1 French Generals '' voluntering'' 3 men for firing squad, trumpted up charge of cowardice.
    One of Kubricks first films.