Too old for the RNR?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by d92_10th, Apr 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been thinking of joining the RNR for some time but somehow never got round to it. According to the website, you can join up to age 40 - I'm 37 and I was wondering if joining at this stage was more or less pointless. Would I just be getting out of training in time to "retire"?

Also, does anyone have any further info on what roles are available in the RNR (I'm based in Edinburgh so HMS Scotia in Rosyth would be my local unit). It seems that most of the RNR units on the RN website seem to be working on AWFP. Is that the primary role for RNR today or are there other roles too?

Finally, I have heard mention of direct officer entry on this site, but I can't seem to find out anymore. Can anyone point me in the direction of more information other than the local AFCO - I'm reluctant to "rock up" at their door until I am 100% sure I want to join.

Thanks in advance.

2. Hey im not in the navy but i think i can answer this. you are 37 and you can join up to 40. so no you would have about 6 years to 10 years.

3. d92, you have a PM.

4. d92

Direct Entry does exist - I'm older than you and joined Direct Entry route only last year.

If you want more info, PM me - I'll try to answer any specifics

5. I am 41 and joined in January 2008.
    Some of my other newbies are the wrong side of your age.
    Long as your fit enough to pass the PJFT you will be welcomed by HMS Scotia. Just don`t expect to be paid quickly...........The wheels grind very slowly in the personnel world of the Armed Forces.

You only live once go for it!

6. Better to do it and say I tried, than not do it and say I wish I'd tried.

7. I have exactly the same questions - i.e am I too old (36) and is what's the crack with direct officer entry?

I think (hope!) I'm young and fit enough; I'd appreciate any advice given in the previous PMs :thumright:

I certainly agree with randy_riveter as far as "go for it" is concerned :)

8. I'm rather curious about the number of people who seem to be only interested in going down the Direct Officer entry.

What exactly do these people believe that they have to offer as a junior officer? Those who have seen previous military service and have held a commission will go in as officers (depending on time outside), but a lot of people seem to think that being an officer is all they should have to do.

9. That pink gin isn't going to drink itself.

10. Fetching suit for wearing at weddings though, Fnar Fnar. :pukel:

11. As far as direct officer entry goes, are you saying that it's rare for people with no previous military experience to get in? I originally applied to enter as a rating and I was asked at the AFCO why I wasn't applying as an officer. Bearing in mind the pink gin and posh suit it seemed like a good idea to me.

As far as what people can offer, that's down to the individual. As a minimum though, "these people" can surely offer the same as anyone applying for direct officer entry in the RN. If you're not good enough or don't have much to offer, you don't pass AIB.

The main point of the question though is; although the website/literature etc suggests that people can join as an officer, in practice is it rare for people with no previous military experience?

12. The DE scheme hasn't really been going on long enough to judge that, or how successful it might be.

13. D92 & runslikeafish,
    I joined the RNR when I was 35 and had no problems. Five years later I am still enjoying myself and am glad I made the effort to get myself fit. If u want to serve your country then you should consider how long it would take take you to reach a point where you are of use to the Navy. As a rating that would probably be a couple of years - maybe quicker if you are really keen. As an officer I would think you are looking at maybe five years? TF110 is spot on - if you don't try you will never know and may regret it later in life.

14. B_R_S that's a very good point about the time it takes to become useful. To be honest after reading a lot on RR and elsewhere I think I'm more likely to stick to my original intention to join as a rating.

It is encouraging to read here that people in their mid 30's and beyond are regularly joining. I didn't fancy being the only one at initial training over 20!

Another encouraging thing is that despite all the gripes people have on RR (which I'm sure most people have about their job) most people seem to really enjoy the work and recommend it to others.

15. I left the RN at 27 in 1980 and joined the RNR at 36. Had to do another new entry course at Raleigh and was by far the eldest but it did not matter one jot as we were all in the same job and age did not come into it. I am now 55 and just been extended for another 12 months. I know this is going to sound just a little anchor faced but I love the job and would recommend it to anyone, either the reserve or regular. Its great.

16. Aw, Oldhand, you just gave me a nice warm feeling inside. I think i need a rennie :dwarf:

I have a saying, I'd rather regret something i've done than regret something i haven't done.

At the end of the day, (it gets dark) you have absolutely nothing to loose. Go along for the presentation, if you like it, go back. If you dont like it then don't.

Even once your "in" you can still change your mind at any time. Its only after you've reached trained strength that there's a call up liability after you leave (standing by to be corrected :eye: )

17. Sage words all!

Thanks for the help and encouraging comments :thumright:

18. well I'm fast approaching 40 (urk) and have passed eyesight, and interview- just got medical and pre fitness to do (and work on improving my times too, my other prob is my BMI of 34)

19. Don't worry. I'm 16 stone and 43 and managed to get in six months ago. Key thing is to get through the PJFT (Pre Joining Fitness Test), a (possibly) highly embarrasing 2.4k run on a machine in a gym somewhere. For me, it was in a hotel with mirrors on the wall in front of me and it was packed full of people wondering why this old fat bloke was running as if his life depended on it! Needless to say, I lunged at the big red button marked 'STOP' at the end, but crucially, I did manage to get within the time, and as everyone else has said, it's well, well worth it.

AND, the running gets easier. I just did the Big bang weekend in HMS Bristol and we did 3 hours of Phys on the Saturday. Damned hard work but the old endorphins were definitley stirring towards the end, and the next run I did on Tuesday was way, way easier. Go for it!