Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too old for navy career?

foster1984

Midshipman
I have recently acquired a conviction which will not be spent for 5 years, which will make me 30 before I can join the navy.

What I wanted was your opinions on whether you all thought that would make me to old to get a good career out of the navy?

As I realisemost people aremuch younger when they join, I wondered if that would disadvantage me in ay way? e.g harder to work my way up the ranks, etc.

I would probably stay in thenvy until I retired when I do join, but just wondered if 30 made me over the hill from a "starting navel career" pointo view.
 

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Loads of people join at 30 or older these days, if there still is a Navy in 5 years go for it. Failing that I hear the French Foreign Legion are recruiting at the moment and they aren't too picky about little things like criminal records etc.
 

foster1984

Midshipman
I hav always wanted to become an officer though like my grandad, and wasnt sure if I would be able to work up the ranks in order to b able to do that if I joined at 30. As I presuming promotion is slow.

Why wouldnt there be a navy in 5 years?
 

2_deck_dash

War Hero
foster1984 said:
I hav always wanted to become an officer though like my grandad, and wasnt sure if I would be able to work up the ranks in order to b able to do that if I joined at 30. As I presuming promotion is slow.

Why wouldnt there be a navy in 5 years?

Ha! You're funny, you'll fit in well round here.
 

foster1984

Midshipman
2_deck_dash said:
foster1984 said:
I hav always wanted to become an officer though like my grandad, and wasnt sure if I would be able to work up the ranks in order to b able to do that if I joined at 30. As I presuming promotion is slow.

Why wouldnt there be a navy in 5 years?

Ha! You're funny, you'll fit in well round here.

I'm afraid I'm missing the punchline?!
 

Guzzler

War Hero
foster1984 said:
I hav always wanted to become an officer though like my grandad, and wasnt sure if I would be able to work up the ranks in order to b able to do that if I joined at 30. As I presuming promotion is slow.

Why wouldnt there be a navy in 5 years?

If you want to become an officer you really need to keep up with current events.
 

lonestar

War Hero
That would make an interesting question at AIB... so Mr whatshisface, this criminal past of yours....

If you fcuked up life then it is time to start heading in the right direction now, not waiting 5 years and joining a job which does not pay a great wage for someone aged 30, that you don't even know if you will qualify for or enjoy. Forget the Navy, find a career you can start now not in the future, work your ass off and make something of yourself.
 

mark33

Badgeman
hi foster im just gone through the application process and am just waiting for a joining date to come through which should be around august time. However by the time i begin my basic training i will be 34 years old. Ialso applied and had the small matter of a drink driving conviction. Ihad to apply and also write a letter basically grovelling and admitting my stupidity and assuring tem that it wont happen again so all is not lost. My advice is go to your afco sit down be honest and chat with them you never know. good luck by the way go for it.
 

spur52

Midshipman
I think that 30 is very close to the upper age limit for becoming an Officer. Why not join as a rating? As a 30 year old rating, it is unlikely that you will be the oldest in your class. With the RN accepting ratings up to 36 years old.
 

Joe90

Badgeman
2_deck_dash said:
Loads of people join at 30 or older these days, if there still is a Navy in 5 years go for it. Failing that I hear the French Foreign Legion are recruiting at the moment and they aren't too picky about little things like criminal records etc.

The French Foreign Legion are always recruiting. But because of the shear numbers of people wanting to join it means on average 8 people apply per position. This means that they can afford to be more choosey about who they recruit.

Although they will overlook minor convictions, anything serious or if you're wanted by interpol, they will hand you over. I know how selection works..............been there, done that (2 REP)
 

soleil

War Hero
Foster


1 Which offence have you committed which has led to your conviction?


2 The joke about there "perhaps not being a Navy in 5 years" relates to peoples' feelings about the cutbacks being imposed on the Senior Service and how this will impact on the number of vessels and personnel at the Navy's disposal.


3 It might be worthwhile signing up for something like the Times Online newsletter so that you can keep up with current affairs.

4 Re joining as an Officer, once you get past 26 the number of opportunities starts to reduce, but Logistics Officers may join up the age of 31.
 

turnbats

Midshipman
There was a 32 year-old lad who joined up with my RM troop. Don't worry about your age, he was a cracking lad and got his lid. Best of luck
 

navy_newbie

Midshipman
just go to your local AFCO or phone them and simply have a chat, exsplain your cicumstances and im sure they will be more then happy to exsplain if you can or can not join .....
 

foster1984

Midshipman
soleil said:
Foster


1 Which offence have you committed which has led to your conviction?


2 The joke about there "perhaps not being a Navy in 5 years" relates to peoples' feelings about the cutbacks being imposed on the Senior Service and how this will impact on the number of vessels and personnel at the Navy's disposal.


3 It might be worthwhile signing up for something like the Times Online newsletter so that you can keep up with current affairs.

4 Re joining as an Officer, once you get past 26 the number of opportunities starts to reduce, but Logistics Officers may join up the age of 31.

1. I have been convicted of a dishonesty offence. Theft by abuse of position.

2. Ok I had not heard about that.

3. Done.

4. Due to the offence involving dshonesty I am not able to join the logistics branch. I was refering to my ability to work my way up to officer from a rating.
 

lonestar

War Hero
foster1984 said:
1. I have been convicted of a dishonesty offence. Theft by abuse of position.

And you say you want to "work your way up to officer", well with every rank comes an amount of power, with power comes responsibility, you it appears have a history of abusing these things to steal, I somehow don't think you are well suited.

It might sound harsh, but when the RN is overwhelmed with interested applicants who are of good character, why should they be the reform school for those members of society who are not so upstanding.
 

foster1984

Midshipman
lonestar said:
foster1984 said:
1. I have been convicted of a dishonesty offence. Theft by abuse of position.

And you say you want to "work your way up to officer", well with every rank comes an amount of power, with power comes responsibility, you it appears have a history of abusing these things to steal, I somehow don't think you are well suited.

It might sound harsh, but when the RN is overwhelmed with interested applicants who are of good character, why should they be the reform school for those members of society who are not so upstanding.

and you know everything about my convicton do you?

If you search for my old threads you will see I explained I did not take the money. I realise that trying to explain over the intenet is futile. I am merely seeking advice, not opinion or ripping. Considering that it is unlikely I would meet anyone from these forums (or that if I did I would know it was them an vice versa) What ue would lying be?
 

sceadugenga

Badgeman
Just speak to the AFCO and see what they say....

I spoke honestly with my recruiter and it only helped, they'd know best whether your suited or not and whether it would matter or not...
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Too old? Joining the Royal Navy 20
P Too old to join as an officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
soleil Express: "DISGRACE: War Hero Banned From Veteran's Parade For Being 'Too Old'" Charity 36
S 27 too old? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
G Am I too old for Submarines? Submariners 15
P Is 29 too old? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 16
B Am I too "old" to join up?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
trelawney126 Never Too Old To Learn Current Affairs 1
B ? too old to join Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 47
T Newbies too old to join RN aged 27? The Gash Barge 5
B Too old for officer training? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
D Too old for the RNR? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 51
F Will I be too old The Corps 7
left_handed_sailor Too old for BRNC? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
sniffpipes Am i too old to join the Royal Marines !!!! Diamond Lil's 9
M IS 40 TOO OLD RMR 13
W Too old to be a Bootneck? RMR 9
P Dumb Question too scared to ask the CPO Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 15
MoD_RSS World Food Safety Day 2020 - food safety is our business too MoD News 0
D Joining age, when is actually too late? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
soleil PlymouthLive: "Royal Navy Too Short Of Ships To Police Fisheries After Brexit, Lords Told" The Fleet 4
M Just done PRNC and have joining date, but have doubts too Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
Waspie New Wafu stuff, with pictures too!!! The Fleet Air Arm 4
MoD_RSS Bolstering defence budget is not just about soldiers - trade will prosper too MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Renew your tax credits - it's too important to forget MoD News 0
JBNVY18 Joining the RN while partner is serving too! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
S Is my eyesight too bad for the navy? Health & Fitness 3
MoD_RSS Speech: Notre Dame was a tragedy, but in too many parts of the world it's the Christian congregation that perishes: article by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Highways England footage shows dangers of driving too close MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: “Men need support too” gender expert tells women in Cumbria MoD News 0
slim The welfare System...... Too good or Not good enough? Diamond Lil's 33
B Your probably all a bit too skin for this but..... The Corps 0
P Am I too late? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS News story: Final resting place of a Yorkshire born WW2 soldier killed in the 'Bridge too... MoD News 0
LateToTheParty Made the wrong choice, is it too late Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
A Body Mass Index too low - BRNC January 2017 Joining the Royal Navy 11
Guns Brace brace brace... Stand too conduct blanket searches The Quarterdeck 6
J BMI slightly too low.. TMU? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
D Too good to be true? RFA 13
soleil Telegraph: "'Too Many Quitting Forces' MPs Warn" Current Affairs 40
WreckerL "Too heavy" Spanish boat Submariners 10
soleil Herald: "Defence Cuts Have Left Royal Navy 'Too Small' To Carry Out Its Job" The Fleet 1
soleil Express: "Royal Navy Is Now 'Too Small' To Protect Britain" The Fleet 7
soleil Western Morning News: "Cuts Have Left The Navy 'Too Small', Warns Report" The Fleet 2
trelawney126 I'm keeping my Pension Too Current Affairs 1
G search term too short Site Issues 8
soleil Defence Management Journal: "Navy Will Be Too Small For Two Carriers' The Fleet 14
trehorn Vauxhaull Insignia - too many toys? Motoring 7
soleil Scotsman: "Royal Navy Navigator Says Meeting Brad Pitt 'Wasn't Too Shabby'" RFA 2
trelawney126 Need a Referendum For This Too Current Affairs 4
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

Top