Too old for BRNC?

Without going into too much of my own details, would a 34 yr old cope with Dartmouth - especially the first 7 weeks? (I can currently do the RNFT in 10.56 so well within the minimum) The E(TM) branch accepts up to the age of 34, so I was wondering if any of you experienced readers would have an opinion?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Yes, you should cope physically. RN Ratings go through Raleigh up to their 37th birthday.

Get a bloody move on & start the process- you can always not take it if you get a job offer, but you're up against the wire already!

Lost_Soul

Lantern Swinger
left_handed_sailor said:
Without going into too much of my own details, would a 34 yr old cope with Dartmouth - especially the first 7 weeks? (I can currently do the RNFT in 10.56 so well within the minimum) The E(TM) branch accepts up to the age of 34, so I was wondering if any of you experienced readers would have an opinion?
Why not, Some older people are fitter than us "youth's", just train for it, not sure how long it or anything but just train and push yourself to do more and you should do fine.

I would have thought that for some ne who was reasonably fit the physical side shouldn't be too bad, it is really a question if you can mentaly cope with a regime that is in general aimed at school/university leavers.

Ninja_Stoker said:
Yes, you should cope physically. RN Ratings go through Raleigh up to their 37th birthday.

Get a bloody move on & start the process- you can always not take it if you get a job offer, but you're up against the wire already!
One step ahead Ninja - I went for my AIB for RNR and they offered me this job as well. I'll chat with my AFCO about the details, but I'm always interested in other people's opinions.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
left_handed_sailor said:
One step ahead Ninja - I went for my AIB for RNR and they offered me this job as well. I'll chat with my AFCO about the details, but I'm always interested in other people's opinions.
Good one LHS, as already stated you need to start before your 35th.

The ratings pre-joining fitness programme, available from your AFCO is excellent for your preparation & is available on the RN website too.

Best of luck! :)