Too old for BRNC?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by left_handed_sailor, May 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Without going into too much of my own details, would a 34 yr old cope with Dartmouth - especially the first 7 weeks? (I can currently do the RNFT in 10.56 so well within the minimum) The E(TM) branch accepts up to the age of 34, so I was wondering if any of you experienced readers would have an opinion?
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yes, you should cope physically. RN Ratings go through Raleigh up to their 37th birthday.

Get a bloody move on & start the process- you can always not take it if you get a job offer, but you're up against the wire already!
  3. Why not, Some older people are fitter than us "youth's", just train for it, not sure how long it or anything but just train and push yourself to do more and you should do fine.
  4. I would have thought that for some ne who was reasonably fit the physical side shouldn't be too bad, it is really a question if you can mentaly cope with a regime that is in general aimed at school/university leavers.
  5. They're are plenty of people in their forties going through BRNC right now
  6. Ninja_Stoker

There are indeed many going through BRNC aged 40+ however they were already in the RN. Training Management Officers must join the Royal Navy & start BRNC before their 35th Birthday if they are joining as a civilian;

Training Management Officer
  7. One step ahead Ninja - I went for my AIB for RNR and they offered me this job as well. I'll chat with my AFCO about the details, but I'm always interested in other people's opinions.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Good one LHS, as already stated you need to start before your 35th.

The ratings pre-joining fitness programme, available from your AFCO is excellent for your preparation & is available on the RN website too.

Best of luck! :)