"Too heavy" Spanish boat

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by WreckerL, Jun 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's not just our procurement people and designers who cock it up.

"The Spanish Navy’s new S-80 series submarine built by Navantia has been revealed to be 75 tons over its recommended weight, causing problems with its ability to surface after submerging."
  2. It'll be OK so long as they just operate off Skye!
  3. Fixed that for you. :winkrazz:
  4. So the kit inside has ended up making the submarine 3% heavier than expected. That doesn't sound like an insurmountable problem to me or am I missing something?
  5. Not insurmountable by any means, either increase the size for bigger main ballast tanks or remove the gear from inside. The former is very expensive as you'll need to increase the length of the shaft, planes and rudder control gear and weapon discharge tubes (torpedo tubes for the oldies), the latter means your latest all singing all dancing submarine is no different from an older one so no progress and no ability for upgrades.

Just a shame Spains deeper in the financial poo than we are, so maybe you are missing something.
  6. Sounds like a provider error to me ... go fix it at no extra cost to the purchacer as "not in spec"!
  7. Find a suitable mooring in Porta Banus & turn it into a themed fish restaurant, Moren'es Plaice.:laughing3:
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Naval architecture is hard sums squared and aspects of it are not an exact science. I have some sympathy for those who have to do practise it daily day, although one would hope that those who do would get good at it. Even so, a bit of peer review before moving from the drawing board to manufacture would be in order.

If things are as the Daily Mail says.
  9. That's the reason I looked elswhere for the story originally and posted a link from the SDI website. At least the Wail couldn't blame it on immigrant hordes but give them time!