Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Hatley Rip

scouse

War Hero
Tony Hateley RIP

"I remember in the kop in about 1968,The ground was covered in fog. Tony Hateley scored in the Anny road end. The kop sang, we want to know who scored,We want to know who scored, The Anny road sang Tony Hatley,Tony Hateley .RIP

Last edited:
Tony Hateley, known as “Big Tone” and later “The Headmaster”, went on to score 77 goals in 131 appearances for Notts County, but by 1963 was keen to move on and, in a foretaste of the antics of modern footballers, refused to sign a new contract. “If I am going to make anything of myself in this game I don’t think I can stay where I am any longer,” he protested, making front page news. “This is not like any other job. I only have 12 years to make a living in the game. I must make the most of it.” First division Aston Villa responded, signing Hateley for £20,000. The striker maintained his excellent scoring record, notching up a goal every two games before moving on, in 1966, to Chelsea, where he was seen as a replacement for injured Peter Osgood. Chelsea paid a record fee for Hateley, but sold him on after a single season to Liverpool. Both clubs preferred slick passing games to the deep crosses and long-balls that best-suited him. Spells at Coventry and Birmingham City followed, before he returned to his first club, Notts County. There he returned to form and led the team to the Fourth Division title. After two seasons he moved briefly to Oldham Athletic, before trying his luck in North America soccer, with the Boston Minutemen. After 16 seasons as a professional, however, his knees were not up to the unforgiving artificial American playing surfaces. Unsuccessful efforts to break into management followed, and Hateley, who settled on Merseyside, became a sales rep for a brewery. As time passed, he became most famous as the father of Mark Hateley, a striker who played for AC Milan and Rangers and was capped 32 times for England. Mark’s son, Tom, is a currently a professional footballer in Poland.

From DT Obit .. .. .. RIP

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Stirlin Tony Adams. Sports and Adventure Training 0
MoD_RSS Tony Burton CBE appointed as Interim Chair of the National Lottery Community Fund. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Tony Juniper CBE appointed as Natural England chair MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Tony Juniper announced as preferred Natural England Chair candidate MoD News 0
Ms Pompey Dragon SEEKING FOR HELP-SEARCHING INFO FOR TONY AGNEW RN, Ret. Nearest & Dearest 1
soleil Australian: "RAN Sick Of Tony Abbott's Use Of Phrase 'Drunken Sailors'" International 0
Stirling Tony Blair. Diamond Lil's 0
scouse Commander Tony Shaw The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil In Cumbria: "TV’s Tony Full Of Praise For Museum Attraction" Submariners 0
trelawney126 Tony Blair. Return of the idiot Current Affairs 11
P Newbie Tony Floyd (Pinky) from Wantage Oxordshire Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Another job for Tony Blair Current Affairs 8
janner Tony Blair-Walking Eagle Miscellaneous 0
soleil Telegraph: "Tony Christie Launches Afghan Heroes Charity Song" The Corps 2
S Tony Christie and The Royal Marines Current Affairs 4
trelawney126 Our Tony batting for the Euro. Diamond Lil's 9
F From Tony Bliars diary Diamond Lil's 5
soleil Watford Observer: Lt Tony Jackson speaks about his MBE Bases / Shore Est 0
trelawney126 Ceri Blair. Tony was economical with the Truth it seems! Current Affairs 14
YouAreHavingALaugh Tony Bliar “exceptional leadership†in promoting peace. Current Affairs 20
L Bye Tony, God Bless Current Affairs 19
scouse Vice Admiral Sir Tony Troup Submariners 4
S Tony Blairs conversion Current Affairs 22
slim Tony Blairs Legace to the Electorate Diamond Lil's 0
UncleAlbert Tony Blair....Friend or foe? Current Affairs 14
silverfox Nice one Tony, now what shall we do.....?? Current Affairs 21
brazenhussy How will Tony Blair be remembered? Diamond Lil's 9
brazenhussy Tony Bliars' new career ................. Diamond Lil's 3
brazenhussy Tony Blair: I won't be back The Quarterdeck 14
beer_bosun One to watch out for: The Trail of Tony Blair The Quarterdeck 10
L woop-De-Do, King Tony isn't going to shut Guzz Current Affairs 28
slim Another cheap holiday for Tony B Diamond Lil's 16
E Tony Blairs Speech? Current Affairs 8
slim Tony Blair apologises for slave trade, What about press gang Current Affairs 32
slim Tony Blair going & now Prescot says he will go with him Current Affairs 13
D Tony giving it up! Current Affairs 23
Magic_Mushroom Lt Cdr Kris Ward RN (Retd) RIP The Fleet Air Arm 1
Waspie LACMN Jim Scott RIP The Fleet Air Arm 0
Wightsparker RIP Cora Nearest & Dearest 1
Drakey Surgeon Captain Rick Jolly - RIP The Fleet 65
Waspie A tribute to Billy Deacon RIP. Ex RN Aircrewman The Fleet Air Arm 7
D RIP 'Squarebasher' of Private Eye Current Affairs 0
D Celia Stobbart RIP The Quarterdeck 10
W Lt/Cdr (S.C.C.) Cyril Bartlett M.B.E. R.N.R RIP Nearest & Dearest 1
P RIP RR poster 'Granny' :-( The Quarterdeck 13
BARNEYRNSM Red rip out form Submariners 14