Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Blair apologises for slave trade, What about press gang

Re: Tony Blair apologises for slave trade, What about press

Slavery was and is a demeaning and totally disgraceful way to treat another human being.

It is worth remembering that profiting from the slave trade has been around since time immemorial, with huge fortunes having been made by Arabs, Americans, Spaniards, Brits, French, indigenous African tribal leaders and others. Being sorry that it ever happened is pointless, because it did. Maybe he's looking for a Nobel, by being the first overpaid squanderer of public monies to apologise for his ancestors mistakes? If our noble leader did more to offset the effects of the modern slavers like Mugabe, I'd be more impressed.

Forgot - there's no oil in Zimbabwe!

Stripey_G said:
Too true Slim..couldn't agree more....but on a lighter note (sorry, can't help it), is your "batman" into bondage labour AAC, or does "he" just do for you????

Batman? Me? I'm deeply hurt at the suggestion that I could be an officer :wink: 8O. Bondage labour? Is that similar to bondage or something special? Please advise. I'm always willing to give it a go if it might be fun! :lol:

TBliar should apologise to the great British public for all the crap he has been drowning us in...

Jack77

War Hero

Hmmmm.... I see a chance for profit in this. :D I want an apology for the uprooting of several of my ancestors and transporting them to Botany Bay. The British government acted in a manner unacceptable to any lefty trendy warm and fuzzy modern state and I demand the British taxpayer give me millions in compensation for the stress of forever being torn from the enjoyment warm beer, cold rain and an uncompetitive cricket team :lol:

jossman

Badgeman

What about all the orphans that were expatriated to Oz during the 40's by "Do Good" church mongers. Most of these poor kids ended up as cheap slave labour.

F169 said:
I thought TB once was a barrister?

He trained as one, but I thought the papers discovered that he hadn't actually worked as one? But he was a budding popstar allegedly :wink:

Stripey_G

War Hero

Always_a_Civvy said:
Stripey_G said:
Too true Slim..couldn't agree more....but on a lighter note (sorry, can't help it), is your "batman" into bondage labour AAC, or does "he" just do for you????

Batman? Me? I'm deeply hurt at the suggestion that I could be an officer :wink: 8O. Bondage labour? Is that similar to bondage or something special? Please advise. I'm always willing to give it a go if it might be fun! :lol:

Sorry AAC...used the term Batman too lightly there i think! Guess you could never be an "officer"! (why?) Bondage used in the normal sense, labour being you make a hard job of it! Can just imagine you being waited on hand and foot for some God knows reason!!

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer

Always_a_Civvy said:
What of British children transported from childrens' homes and orphanages to be used as slave labour (during their childhood) in the Empire and later Commonwealth?

Good point AAC, my own grandfather was one of the Home Children (as they are known in Canada) who was sent to Canada with assets of 1 pound Sterling to his name; he was "placed" on a number of farms by the emigration agency that supported his passage, but he never stayed long and somehome managed to get himself back to the UK.

While significantly smaller in scale than African slavery, there were a significant number of Home Children: between 1869 and the early 1930s, over 100,000 children were sent to Canada from Great Britain during the child emigration movement.

Do you think we could negotiate a reintroduction for our home grown feckless chavoids?

Stripey_G said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
Stripey_G said:

Sorry AAC...used the term Batman too lightly there i think! Guess you could never be an "officer"! (why?) Bondage used in the normal sense, labour being you make a hard job of it! Can just imagine you being waited on hand and foot for some God knows reason!!

It's just occured to me that you meant bonded labour? Sorry I was a bit on the slow side this morning. No, sadly I have no one to do bonded labour (or bondage) for me when I get home from work. I can imagine being waited on hand and foot too but I'd rather keep out of hospital as much as possible! :wink: :lol:

Oh and as I hate being called 'sir' this too would rule out having any subservient staff. I'd insist on them calling me Steve. :)

Stripey_G

War Hero

T'was just idle banter 'sir' Steve, .....while serving in Mauritius we had a "housemaid" and she would insist on calling me "Master"...hated it!!

F169 said:
I thought TB once was a barrister?

I think he was an employment barrister or something like that. He wasn't a criminal Barster d :twisted: His missus makes all the money as a Civil Rights Barster d. He makes the laws, she kicks them into touch :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Stirling Tony Blair. Diamond Lil's 0
trelawney126 Tony Blair. Return of the idiot Current Affairs 11
A Another job for Tony Blair Current Affairs 8
janner Tony Blair-Walking Eagle Miscellaneous 0
trelawney126 Ceri Blair. Tony was economical with the Truth it seems! Current Affairs 14
UncleAlbert Tony Blair....Friend or foe? Current Affairs 14
brazenhussy How will Tony Blair be remembered? Diamond Lil's 9
brazenhussy Tony Blair: I won't be back The Quarterdeck 14
beer_bosun One to watch out for: The Trail of Tony Blair The Quarterdeck 10
slim Tony Blair going & now Prescot says he will go with him Current Affairs 13
Stirlin Tony Adams. Sports and Adventure Training 0
MoD_RSS Tony Burton CBE appointed as Interim Chair of the National Lottery Community Fund. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Tony Juniper CBE appointed as Natural England chair MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Tony Juniper announced as preferred Natural England Chair candidate MoD News 0
Ms Pompey Dragon SEEKING FOR HELP-SEARCHING INFO FOR TONY AGNEW RN, Ret. Nearest & Dearest 1
scouse Tony Hatley Rip Diamond Lil's 2
soleil Australian: "RAN Sick Of Tony Abbott's Use Of Phrase 'Drunken Sailors'" International 0
scouse Commander Tony Shaw The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil In Cumbria: "TV’s Tony Full Of Praise For Museum Attraction" Submariners 0
P Newbie Tony Floyd (Pinky) from Wantage Oxordshire Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
soleil Telegraph: "Tony Christie Launches Afghan Heroes Charity Song" The Corps 2
S Tony Christie and The Royal Marines Current Affairs 4
trelawney126 Our Tony batting for the Euro. Diamond Lil's 9
F From Tony Bliars diary Diamond Lil's 5
soleil Watford Observer: Lt Tony Jackson speaks about his MBE Bases / Shore Est 0
YouAreHavingALaugh Tony Bliar “exceptional leadership†in promoting peace. Current Affairs 20
L Bye Tony, God Bless Current Affairs 19
scouse Vice Admiral Sir Tony Troup Submariners 4
S Tony Blairs conversion Current Affairs 22
slim Tony Blairs Legace to the Electorate Diamond Lil's 0
silverfox Nice one Tony, now what shall we do.....?? Current Affairs 21
brazenhussy Tony Bliars' new career ................. Diamond Lil's 3
L woop-De-Do, King Tony isn't going to shut Guzz Current Affairs 28
slim Another cheap holiday for Tony B Diamond Lil's 16
E Tony Blairs Speech? Current Affairs 8
D Tony giving it up! Current Affairs 23
AAF Blair, peace envoy. Current Affairs 34
F Finx's tartan army and the Blair witchunt project Current Affairs 14
F Blair/Kennedy dynasty. Current Affairs 2
trelawney126 Blair " Don't Hang the Bankers" Current Affairs 3
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Olympic role for Blair - Suggestions? The Gash Barge 31
trelawney126 EU Blair Calls for "Elected President" Current Affairs 16
finknottle Blair gets the reception he deserves in Dublin. Current Affairs 24
NotmeChief Blair/Bush told truth. WMDs found. Current Affairs 5
trelawney126 Ceri Blair Wears PURPLE to Rememberence Day in London Current Affairs 26
trelawney126 Blair Goes Begging for the President of EU Position Current Affairs 5
trelawney126 Cameron Morphing into Blair Diamond Lil's 22
trelawney126 Brown and Mandelson in New Push for Blair Diamond Lil's 10
LP_Blower Blair not for president! Current Affairs 8
slim Reasons why David Cameron WILL is better than Blair or Brown The Gash Barge 11