Today's school leavers are more qualified than Yesterdays

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by slim, Jul 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No space invaders on that link Slim, you're slipping, just some guff about the EU.

2. Sorry Peter
    Link now works, thanks.

3. Re: Today's school leavers are more qualified than Yesterday

Most A level people I have to interview are all but functionally illiterate.

4. About right there Maxi.

As for the thread title of 'more qualified' - I agree they may have more paper quals these days, but a lot of them certainly do not have the 'common dog' that yesterday's school leavers had when we left school.

5. Well done Slim

Classic Wail stuff really, take a whole new range of qualifications and spend most of the article talking about compute games as if that is all they will do. Tells us nothing of the structure and range of subjects that may be covered etc, all the stuff they should really be telling us.

6. Re: Today's school leavers are more qualified than Yesterday

Kids may be leaving school\university with more tickets to their name but are far from being intelligent\useful in the workplace.

"Lumpy" (wife has 6 weeks to go before drop-day) has a couple of university graduates working for her who are unable to read or write effectively. Tony B(liar) was right to say that kids have more qualifications to their name - but negated to mention that those quallies are near as dammit worthless.

I really have tried hard to remember when I was their age and wondered was I that bad. Afraid to say, on this occasion, time has not dulled the memories, todays kids are less educated than before.

Yes, I know there will be exceptions before anyone jumps on my back - but I have to comment on what I see here.

7. Re: Today's school leavers are more qualified than Yesterday

My experience is only with those who have got into university or managed to get their degree and in my limited experience they are in general good engineers, one was a wanker, the rest have been good. Yes their written english has needed polishing but even then they have been able to make their point in a reasonable way. In my opinion there is still plenty of cream in todays youth.

8. Re: Today's school leavers are more qualified than Yesterday

Maxi
    What the education system really needs to concentrate on is making certain that EVERY child leaves school with a good grounding in the two core subjects, English and Arithmetic.
    You work in the world of engineering, in my view virtually all university educated engineers have an excellent grounding in mathematics and in the past their English was of a very acceptable standard. However with many degrees and now it seems A levels being tailored to what the student likes rather than what potential employers need it seems that youngsters are being sold short.

9. Slim, I agree. Lumpy works in the finance industry so everything is office work related. If a university graduate cannot write\spell or even work out how to get a phone number of a stockbroker (she had to be told to use a telephone book - I wish I were making this up) then it does make you wonder.

Ahh, the joys of employing people with Media Studies degrees.

10. Well if you are that ...... what do you expect. I must admit I have not been personally involved in staff recruitment for many years but when I was one tended to try and ensure the applicant was capable of the basics at least

11. Re: Today's school leavers are more qualified than Yesterday

Which is why I said Cameron was right when he said no significan investment in gramar schools, and that any available cash should go into the bottom end of education. The top do OK we need to address the bottom.

12. Re: Today's school leavers are more qualified than Yesterday

The young adults we employ have first rate qualifications and excellent communication skills, particularly reading and writing, they rarely make mistakes in grammer and spelling; they are articulate..
    All except one (who is taking lessons) can speak at least two languages.
    Where are they from?
    They are all resident in Spain but come not only from there but also from North Africa and one from Russia, another from Ireland, another is French.
    Despite their erractic time keeping and long breaks they are prepared to work extra hours, and rarely moan or whinge.
    I stopped employing young men and women from the UK a long time ago as they lacked the basics outlined above (we encourage complete openess and genuine input, or, even crackpot input as you never know)
    Even our UK office now prefers to employ staff from countries other than the UK - not exclusively though as the Scots do not appear to suffer from the same malaise.
    The UK does however produce some outstanding engineers, those who have broken away from the malaise, yet they are hardly encouraged and often seek work abroad. The SEAT car company (owned by VW) employs a lot of UK engineers who left the UK because they were undervalued.
    By and large when in the UK I find the younger people much less articulate and often lacking in basic communication skills - eye contact for instance. They seem to lack confidence and it is often difficult to engage them in worthwhile conversation.
    Of course it is bad to generalise but having been in the UK for the first week of the school holidays it is only serving to reinforce my opinion - some of these children are almost ferral, irrespective of which supposed social class they come from.

13. Re: Today's school leavers are more qualified than Yesterday

Maxi77: Well if you are that ...... what do you expect. I must admit I have not been personally involved in staff recruitment for many years but when I was one tended to try and ensure the applicant was capable of the basics at least[/quote]

If only that were true. Lumpy's company has a policy of employing graduates every year and have to take a certain number. Company's struggle at the best of times to get staff down here so when the "dross" come through the door, the HR depts are happy as they have got their quoted filled, but it is down to the line managers to cope with them. It also doesn't help that from 8 qualified staff they are now down to only 3 with 3 trainees.

The "joys" of so called full employment. And we thought gapped billets only happened in the Mob :-/

14. Re: Today's school leavers are more qualified than Yesterday

Unfortunately Maxi many at the bottom of the education system have no wish to learn, they would rather act the class idiot and disrupt the class or play truant. How do you impose education on those who will not accept it?
    Parenting plays a big part in education, in my young day (and yours) most parents encouraged their children to learn, these days many parents seem not bothered if their child learns or not. Unfortunately most of these parents behaved in a similar way themselves while at school.

15. Re: Today's school leavers are more qualified than Yesterday

And that is just why we need to invest in that area to overcome the problems. Unfortunately the schools who have large numbers of these type of pupils are at present at the bottom of the list for funding, staff and almost everything, it is not surprising they fail. We do need a new approach to overcome the compound neglect from past governemnts of both colours.

16. Re: Today's school leavers are more qualified than Yesterday

The education system we have today especially in further education is better than it has ever been! The opportunities for the young for a good career is good.

Now when I was a lad! A college would not entertain you without the stated exam results. Now they actually beg them to sign on. More bums on seats more money for college.

Sadly many at college think it is one long piss up and much better than working and decide to crap in sinks and push the staff as far as they can with no back up from the head mad/woman who thinks it far better to have bums on seats than a good college with students who actually want those qualifications.

"Turn that phone off now! But I need it on to get my text messages"

We have students popping along[in the UK] deciding a career in conservation would be a good move with degree in philosophy instead of Conservation Eco Systems Etc.

It is a pity that they and many more have lost the plot and are not greatfull for what they have around them.

17. I wonder if this has anything to do with the demise of the Tiff?

18. Re: Today's school leavers are more qualified than Yesterday

When first interviewing applicants for positions in a food factory It came as a shock to discover that some of the little darlings couldn't read or write. Oh they knew how to occupy their time while waiting for their turn by using a mobile 'phone for texting and such but that's about it.
    On sitting an applicant down for the interview it's now the norm to fill in the application for them if they have difficulty in doing what should be the most basic of all human skills - communication.
    The majority of East Europeans I get to interview have at least made the effort to try and be a little knowlegable about the need to be able to read and write in the language of the country they're in. Watching native school leavers trying to form letters into a word that equates to their name, usually with a tongue sticking out and an intense frown on the forehead is an education in itself. Somehow I get the feeling that it's my fault they are unable to do the basics and every excuse is made to appease the little dears.
    Please answer the following question....one grunt for yes...two grunts for no. Shrug your shoulders if you don't know and utter UuU....
    What are teachers doing these days that these young people...our future...are able to slip through the net in such droves. What's the criteria....!!!!
    Signed- completely dumfounded and stunned.
    I dunno, maybe my ability to chew and walk at the same time makes me overly sensitive!

19. Re: Today's school leavers are more qualified than Yesterday

Bits of paper in hand yes, commen dog NO!.