Todays quiz question

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by janner, Jun 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Can you name this tool and say what it is used for

Answer will be posted in a couple of days if no one gets it
  2. It does look like something that is designed to go up one's hoop.

I'm guessing it's some sort of vintage enema machine.

Don't ask me why I know this.
  3. A Victorian Martindale Blower?
  4. I cannot recall the name but 'tis merely a Victorian bath-time accessory, comme ca:

(Back in the day those bubbles didn't blow themselves, don't you know?)
  5. It's a scrintzen thingamyjig wotchamacallit.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sir! Sir! I know! I know.... its a Victorian Tobacco Smoke Enaema syringe!

Drs William Hawes and Thom­as Cogan, who practised medicine in London, England, around 1774, formed The Institution for affording immediate Relief to Persons apparently dead, from drowning. This group later became the Royal Hu­mane Society, and presently is spon­sored by Her Majesty the Queen of England. In the 18th century, the society promoted the rescue of drowning people, and paid 4 guineas (about $160 today) to anyone who successfully brought a drowning victim back to life. To that end, Drs Hawes and Cogan began the practice of a unique type of holistic medicine.
    At around this same point in his­tory, tobacco had been imported to England from Virginia to be inhaled, chewed, smoked (usually in a clay pipe), or smoldered as “bum cigars.” American First Nations people used tobacco as a medicine and pioneered the use of tobacco smoke enemas. Word of this treatment crossed the water to England, and volunteer medical assistants with the society began to use the procedure to treat half-drowned London citizens who were pulled from the Thames River. Initially the “pipe smoker London Medic” inserted an enema tube with rubber tubing attachments into the victim and blew smoke into the rectum. This was erroneously thought by the practitioners to accomplish two things; first, warming the drowned person, and second, stimulating respiration. Artificial respiration was used if the tobacco smoke enema failed.
    Soon the use of tobacco smoke enemas was the fashion—along with bloodletting—by European doctors. The gimmick was thought to be a lifesaving tool in their therapeutic armamentarium. Practitioners now had a new treatment for headaches, respiratory failure, colds, hernias, and ab­dominal cramps (if administered concurrently with feeding chicken broth by mouth). Soon tobacco smoke enemas were used for treating typhoid fever and even cholera outbreaks, during the “stage of collapse” and death.
    Before bellows were included in the resuscitation kit, the results could be disastrous to the tobacco smoke blower. If the practitioner or medic inadvertently inhaled (instead of blew) during a coughing spell, some rice water stools of the cholera flagellates could be aspirated and swallowed. The practitioner’s demise would be due to a cough, dehydration, and diarrhea. The introduction of bellows and a variety of rectal tubes to the process spared practitioners from this horrible fate, and for a time tobacco enemas were regarded as a mainstream treatment for a wide variety of maladies, along with leeches, turpentine stoops for hemorrhoids, and carbuncles.
    In 1811, English scientist Ben Brodie discovered that nicotine was toxic to the heart, and it soon became unfashionable to prescribe tobacco smoke enemas.

See BCMJ

So do I get a lollipop??????????

Probably brought about the saying ... blowing smoke up your arse!
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I dunno about a lollipop, I'm more concerned with your choice of hobbies with that extensive knowledge!!
  8. :grin: Google is your friend! ha ha ... ok and an idea where to start looking!
  9. Easily explained by viewing habits - our MGM is obviously a connoisseur of QI brought to you for your delectation and delight by the venerable British Broadcasting Corporation.
  10. Sod just said he googled it, as I was typing that . . .

For "MGM" replace with "Janner"
  11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Well done that man, someone emailed it to me this morning and I thought I'll give Wrecks a chance to win something,
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I knew it was an type of enaema syringe ... we've got a few in the museum in the boneyard here - not from personal experence I hasten to add :grin: - but wasn't too sure exactly what it was for! and if memory serves they had one on "Antiques Roadshow" a while back!

Your next starter for 10 ...

13. Something topical.

Who is this and who does he not like very much?

Happy Googling,

14. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

MGM, that reminds me of a song I know; "An engineer told me before he died, ha-rum titty bum ha-rum titty bum".
  15. I think he has a Welsh name and doesnt like Superman?
    • Like Like x 1

16. Mr. Mxyzptlk, an imp from the fifth dimension he possesses nigh-limitless reality-bending powers, which he often uses to pose challenges to Superman for his own amusement
  17. Is it Finks and he doesnt like Monty?
  18. AAF

AAF Badgeman

Fixed that for you mate.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. And it certainly looks like it too! Steam Powered (none of you gas tiff types here!) ... it has just got to be invented by a Victorian Chief Stoker as a plaything for the Chief Flunky!
  20. Looks like it would be used for the relief of, ahem, "Hysteria".....