To whom it may concern

Rumrat

War Hero
Billy No Mates likes this.

attachment.php

(Corn on the cob is off the ******* menu)

Fuckin hell Billy you best give up that second job it really is begining to show on your face. And drugs to keep awake?..disturbing and you only 67.

I suggest, let the threads go where they will.

If you want to have only serious debate about the issues you wish to debate, build your own fuckin' site and moderate to your heart's content. Been Done already - Try ROMFT

Taffd, given your RR joining date I'd not expected what could be construed as anarchy from you.

We all joined this public, free site, for whatever reason but few ever bother to discover it's rules and have become upset when they were brought up with a round turn when the MODs applied 'em.

The fact that some of RR's rules (standfast sub-judice & PERSEC) are no longer applied as tightly as they once were has resulted in my OP.

In case you, or any others watching have missed 'em they are easily found as a sticky here:

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/current-affairs/32760-standing-orders-forum-moderation.html

If that's too difficult or anyone can't be bothered to click the Link then here is Post #3 of that Sticky..

By SEADOG

Re: Standing Orders (Forum Moderation)

Bad CO has his say.

Rum Ration, Aims Policy and Complaints Procedure

From which:

PRINCIPLES

1. Although we have no issues with challenging the "official" viewpoint we do not wish to bring the wrath of the authorities down upon the site.

3. Serious boards

Current Affairs, Finance, Naval History, Charity

Our serious boards are heavily moderated as we aim to keep them sensible and relevant for those who wish to engage in serious discussion. The following are not tolerated:

a. Taking thread off topic
b. Moderate swearing / abuse of other users.
c. Non-contributory posting ie pointless ranting.

There is a thread in Site Issues for those who wish to take issue or commend.

Last edited:
G

guestm

I think it was different when there were numerous new threads every day. Now there isn't so many the crayoning is more obvious.

Who knows.

Taffd

Lantern Swinger
Taffd, given your RR joining date I'd not expected what could be construed as anarchy from you.

We all joined this public, free site, for whatever reason but few ever bother to discover it's rules and have become upset when they were brought up with a round turn when the MODs applied 'em.

The fact that some of RR's rules (standfast sub-judice & PERSEC) are no longer applied as tightly as they once were has resulted in my OP.

In case you, or any others watching have missed 'em they are easily found as a sticky here:

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/current-affairs/32760-standing-orders-forum-moderation.html

If that's too difficult or anyone can't be bothered to click the Link then here is Post #3 of that Sticky..

I haven't got a clue when I joined RR. Equally, I've never had a clue about what you expected of me.

Mostly when I post, I'm responding to what's been written. Reacting to some point that's caught my eye, or the way the point's been made. On the odd occasion I've revisited previous posts, I have no knowledge of ever having made half of them.

I've tried making serious threads in various fora. Mostly it doesn't go the way I'd intended or hoped for. Such is life. Some things that I might deem of import at the time, are probably mind-numbingly dull to other people, so they'll digress as they will.

I swear a lot in posts, not to shock or annoy, but because mostly that's the way I speak and swearwords are often more expressive, especially to like-minded people.

The owners of the site can decide whatever rules they like and enforce them as vigorously as they want but the forum will only ever be as good as the members make it. Without the members, the site's fucked. Try visiting mfat. Make it too boring and it'll end up with 3 members, who might as well communicate by PM.

And it's not as simple as keeping things in Lil's. There's a flavour to the Navy, different to the Army and the Crabs and other civvies. You can't really limit the RN flavour to Lil's, or the rest of the forum ceases to be navy-ish.

And then it's pointless.

Rumrat

War Hero
I haven't got a clue when I joined RR. Equally, I've never had a clue about what you expected of me.

Mostly when I post, I'm responding to what's been written. Reacting to some point that's caught my eye, or the way the point's been made. On the odd occasion I've revisited previous posts, I have no knowledge of ever having made half of them.

I've tried making serious threads in various fora. Mostly it doesn't go the way I'd intended or hoped for. Such is life. Some things that I might deem of import at the time, are probably mind-numbingly dull to other people, so they'll digress as they will.

I swear a lot in posts, not to shock or annoy, but because mostly that's the way I speak and swearwords are often more expressive, especially to like-minded people.

The owners of the site can decide whatever rules they like and enforce them as vigorously as they want but the forum will only ever be as good as the members make it. Without the members, the site's fucked. Try visiting mfat. Make it too boring and it'll end up with 3 members, who might as well communicate by PM.

And it's not as simple as keeping things in Lil's. There's a flavour to the Navy, different to the Army and the Crabs and other civvies. You can't really limit the RN flavour to Lil's, or the rest of the forum ceases to be navy-ish.

And then it's pointless.

The utter bastard agrees with most of your points but when they are having an intellectual discussion it is a tad discerning when me or thee pops up and turn it into a circus.
But when the posts in CA are discussing how to get rid of an MP or about hatters being told to sling their hook I call into question the validity of it being in CA and should be binned to the gash so me and you can swear at each other.
But this is the gash barge so its ok for me to tell you that your an ugly old piss stained ******.
Roger..........over

Taffd

Lantern Swinger
The utter bastard agrees with most of your points but when they are having an intellectual discussion it is a tad discerning when me or thee pops up and turn it into a circus.
But when the posts in CA are discussing how to get rid of an MP or about hatters being told to sling their hook I call into question the validity of it being in CA and should be binned to the gash so me and you can swear at each other.
But this is the gash barge so its ok for me to tell you that your an ugly old piss stained ******.
Roger..........over

Please don't call me Roger.

Guzzler

War Hero
Though I know I'm guilty of many a profanity and the occasional row I must admit I think BOOTWU makes good points here.

To be honest I don't usually check which forum it is when I comment, but agree that some 'house rules' should be stuck to, hopefully not by enforcement but as a matter of courtesy and mutual consent. It generally seems to work on ARRSE.

So long as there's a forum where we can have a good row and swear like **** now and then I'll certainly try to keep it clean.

Rumrat

War Hero
Though I know I'm guilty of many a profanity and the occasional row I must admit I think BOOTWU makes good points here.

To be honest I don't usually check which forum it is when I comment, but agree that some 'house rules' should be stuck to, hopefully not by enforcement but as a matter of courtesy and mutual consent. It generally seems to work on ARRSE.

So long as there's a forum where we can have a good row and swear like **** now and then I'll certainly try to keep it clean.

I'm with you most of the way but I don't like the swearing.

Sharkey

War Hero

Fair enough, have to agree with you there, though my mental pic of BOOTWU is now of a pipe smoking, flat cap wearing, Rover owner with a bin liner over his head and an orange up his arse, you cant argue with the rules he’s pointed out. But can I say that the self-depreciating humour of some, the whit of others and the absurd of many has given me plenty to laugh about over what has been a crap 12 months, and I hope this self-flagellation doesnt change things too much.

Rumrat

War Hero
Fair enough, have to agree with you there, though my mental pic of BOOTWU is now of a pipe smoking, flat cap wearing, Rover owner with a bin liner over his head and an orange up his arse, you cant argue with the rules he’s pointed out. But can I say that the self-depreciating humour of some, the whit of others and the absurd of many has given me plenty to laugh about over what has been a crap 12 months, and I hope this self-flagellation doesnt change things too much.

It won't sludger, I'll always think the same about you regardless.
You twat.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
==========================

==========================

Serious Head on.

At the risk of sounding like a grown-up grandfather (sometimes age and/or the OH, obliges even me to act like one) am I alone in concluding that several of the recent posts in the supposedly more serious forums verge towards, if not beyond, the repugnant and are thus stifling discussion?

Besides the inevitable/allowable thread drift there seems to be an eagerness of late to descend into irrelevant, expletive-ridden, chat-line-jousting by some of those who really ought to know better.

No, I don’t want to be a (noted-more-by-their-absence-than-appearance) Moderator, (I thang yew furry mush for the offer if there ever was one ) but whatever you think of me/this post I am only motivated in wanting whatevers best for RR and for all of those who use it.

Sooo - Before giving my little bleat a good ignoring-to please at least hoist in this contribution of 30 months ago from one of Rum Ration’s finest posters – That khaki-wearing cadet-commissioned Cellarman who sometimes even wears his own serious head:

No smilees today but, as those of us of the Trade used to say:

“Deep down you know it makes sense.”

Bob

PS Bob's other Quote of the Day:

"Self-restraint is very similar to self-abuse; but, like all D-I-Y, it's a tad more difficult for some folk."

I agree with you Bob. I can't admit that i'm whiter than white when it comes to abuse on other threads, but i do try to keep the abuse to Lil's.

Oh and calling me one of RR's finest posters. I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not. Either way if ever we meet, i'll bum you.

Latest Threads