To Walt or not to Walt...

Wightsparker

War Hero
An old mate of mine, who teaches Latin at a posh girls school, tells me the French word Chef comes from the Latin Caput. So a Chief Chef in the navy is either Chief Chief or Chief Caput.

Just as long as your mate does not get caught teaching the girls how to use a capote anglaise.

Putzifly

Midshipman
Just as long as your mate does not get caught teaching the girls how to use a capote anglaise.

He's now a little past that --I think. He only teaches part-time.
But it's interesting you should say that as he was asked to leave the RN when caught with someone's wife in his cabin when both had had their full share of leg openers. He was a Met O but he wasn't interested in her Occluded Front I gather.

Wightsparker

War Hero
But possibly her tightly-packed isobars. I suspect when his own wife was appraised of the situation there was a deep depression and stormy weather warning in place at home........

Putzifly

Midshipman
But possibly her tightly-packed isobars. I suspect when his own wife was appraised of the situation there was a deep depression and stormy weather warning in place at home........

Excellent!
I'm off for a couple of drinks with him this coming weekend. I'll show him your contribution. he has an excellent sense of humour and is as quick- witted today as when I first met him.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
mittys1_3206648c.jpg

You've been fuckin' warned.

Sumo

War Hero
I wasn't trying to 'out' anyone. I'm genuinely curious as to why the chap has an army beret and a navy medal.
May be he found one of them or they're again found both?
But it do remember a chat, Killick's course collinggrad, who joined our class for the end of course. Aparrently he was taken of Killick's course and sent to do some special stuff, he would only tell us bits, went to pongo camp did x went to anther camp did y, we thought it was all a load of bollocks until we were doing stuff with guns, then the GI told him to use his own personal issue weapons, he could strip and build them in his sleep, apparently he could be called to go off and do stuff not normal for sailors.
This chap He could be gen or just a walt

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
If they stuck to the lower end gongs no one would query it, we had a chap, now deceased join our local Submariners Association Branch. Nice enough bloke then the dits started, they started low key and grew from there. He turned up at Dolphin at one of the last reunions held there wearing a DSC and a DSO, when challenged he said that he had started as a rating and then, later, moved on to the Wardroom, fine and perfectly acceptable, until someone noticed that the medals had different names inscribed on them. His explanation was that he had had to change his name because of some of the operations he'd been involved in sounded a bit thin, especially as neither was the current name he was using.
A while later another man turned up at one of our SA meetings, he wanted a few facts and figs. as he was ghost writing our Hero's life story. I pointed out one or two things that he would need to check carefully, without saying that he'd been lied too. No book ever appeared.

On Armed Forces Day there was a chap at the bar with more medals than Phil the Greek (3 rows), however wearing a Rating RN Beret, he looked around 55-60. We wandered in after the stall was packed away (In RNA Blazers) and he clocked the RNA badge, downed his pint and left without saying a word :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Sumo

War Hero
On Armed Forces Day there was a chap at the bar with more medals than Phil the Greek (3 rows), however wearing a Rating RN Beret, he looked around 55-60. We wandered in after the stall was packed away (In RNA Blazers) and he clocked the RNA badge, downed his pint and left with saying a word :rolleyes:
JFH
downed his pint and left with saying a word
Which word was that?:p

Latest Threads