To join, or not to join, that is the question

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by KLNA-Cessna-Jockey, Jan 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm in the process of joining (application in - waiting to hear back) but am re-considering due to all the drips and whinges on this site.

Is it really as bad as I'm reading - if so I need to reconsider BIG style, or is it just an opportunity to get things off you chest and it aint so bad.

I was in years ago when I was 16 but PVRd and always regretted it and I'm now too old to re-join full time (and wife wouldn't let me), so RNR is only option.

Honesty much appreciated - there's enough bullsh!t higher up the food chain!

Cheers 8O

2. There seems to be a lot of questions like this recently.

I'd say join. What have you got to lose?
  3. The first thing you will learn is that matelots drip (or in English sailors moan) it is their way of proving they are still alive.

If you have read much of this site you will also see theads about why we all (and the RNR in particular) do it. It is cos we love it!

That does not mean we love everything, nor does it mean we silently ignore things if we think the government or anyone else does not value the RN as much as we do.

So the bottom line is, if you think you have something to contribute and you think you would like to have experiences you could not pay to have any other way and would like to make some of the best friends you will ever make, then the RN (and by extension the RNR) is for you.

Now, what are you waiting for..... sign your bloody papers!
  4. I have spent 2x years in the RNR, joining while at university.

Everyone drips, including me. But whatever you do, give it a try.

I have had a wonderful time in the RNR, when I joined the Cold War was full on, and I spent years being sick on a minesweeper (dripped), got wet (dripped), got cold (dripped) and visited ports all over Europe. Since then I have been all over the world on exercise, had exercises cancelled (dripped), not been paid (dripped) and had experiences others can only dream off (at the taxpayers expense).

I have seen the cold war end, and now meet and work with former Warsaw Pact officers.

I have made life long friends.

The only thing I can advise is GIVE it a GO! If you don't like it leave, but give it a go anyway. If you don't you will regret it for the rest of your life.
  5. When I read this I must admit I felt a bit guilty for all the negativity that I may have expressed in my time on this website...however I would rationlise it with this thought and that is..!!

Yes sailors moan..its a bit of a tradition however the reason we moan is that the RNR has been and continues for the large part of us to be an important and massively reqrding part of our lives due to the experiences, friendship diversity that the RNR has offered anything of value when someone starts tinkering with it or tries to subvert what we have acheived people get understandably upset...

For every negative thing in the RNR I could list 10+ positives without even thinking about it!

I have put a new post on RNR site..."What's good about the RNR" I guarantee (dont let me down RNR) that you will soon see a large number of positives within a short space of time..maybe it will help you make up your mind!

Join us give it a go what have you to lose..!!
  6. Wife wouldn't let you?????????????
  7. That says it all. :lol:
  8. I know! I read that! WTF is that about?

I wanted to open the beer fridge, but the wife wouldn't let me...
    I wanted to get every f**ker up for the hey diddle diddle but the wife wouldn't let me...
    I wanted to shout "action snacks" when tea was ready...

Just join up mate. Its money for old rope. And you get to paint stuff.
  9. Yer we all moan, it's part and parcel. However, we still turn up every week. Well nearly every week.

My advice. Do it. 1 day it will be too late!
  10. As my boss allways says if froggit aint driping we have a major problem.
  11. I left the RN in 1980 having served 11 years and said that I would never join the RNR. 9 years later I joined the RNR and I have to say that I really regret not going into it straight from the mob. I have now been in the RNR for 18 years and have enjoyed every minute of it. My thinking is that you get out what you put in. When you join you will find that others are not happier then when they have a good drip, it is Jacks way, be they regulars or reservists. Enter with a positive attitude and you will get loads from an organisation that will give you lots back in return.
  12. Come on guys, the RNR is a big commitment and if you're going to do it you need those around you to support you. I gave my missus the choice of RN or RNR and what do you know, she chose RNR. She may not like the jollies that i go on but she supports me.

The RNR is great, yes we drip. Sometimes its about something serious sometimes its not. But we have earned the right to drip and will continue to do so. Like people say, there's something wrong when we dont drip.

Be prepared for the most boring six months (or so) of your life while you go through new entry training before Raleigh but after that is all gravy, you have to sea the bigger picture (pardon the pun). You get out what you put in.

I look forward to seeing a few drips from you in the near future.
  13. Its part of Navy to drip and moan - you do a two week course after part 1 on the art of dripping and moaning its hosted by an ex-buffer who will show you the art of dripping about nothing and anything!

Join up! You'll only regret it later.
  14. I'd join. As others have said, what's there to lose, and if you don't you'll only regret it later (writing from experience!!!). As for the wife not allowing you to join full time.... how about rejoining full time... sounds a great idea to me! :p
  15. In all seriousness, 2006 was the firsrt year I would not recommend people to join the RNR.
  16. Well it's worth doing more so than not bothering, and you can always leave later, at some point, if it doesn't work out.
    Try it and see and then you can join in with the dripping about JPbloodyA.

17. Same as everyone else, if you don't try it you won't know if you like it!!

I love it, keeps me sane!!

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers! Pah pah!!"
  18. Cheers you guys for all your comments - looks like I'm making the right choice then

And as for the wife - I know who's the boss in my house and sometimes, she even lets me think I am !!!

I'm off to read the thread on what's good...
  19. Join, i'm only 17 and have been in just over a year and a quarter, one of the best choices i ever made, the money is great, as is the social side, but actually working gives me a great buzz also, however there are some rough patches within the rnr but nothing that should put you off.