To Frack or not to Frack

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Handler, Aug 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been watching on the news, these stupid protesters fighting against being removed by the police. Can only hope that when they do eventually get taken to court, their fines are heavy to compare with the costs with wasting the police time.

2. If they get fined I would hazard a guess the money won't be forthcoming.

3. Hmm ... Interesting one tho! Seems that said protesters are objecting to the fact that fracking makes the group unstable thus rendering the areea liable to subsidance and properties sliding into a big black hole.

Seeming that they are talking about fracking around Blackpool ... seems a "win win" situation to me!

• Like Like x 1
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

So just because their opinion is contrary to yours and their agenda is an environmental one rather than financial, they're "stupid time wasters"? I am thankful their fate is decided by more learned people in the judicial system rather than the populace... :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trust you to appear on your soapbox! Not just my opinion either, the judicial system also has its 'time wasters', lets hope those who eventually weigh them off are amongst the more well learned ffs.

6. Talking about the "well learned", what have you learned about the process and effects of hydraulic fracturing?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  7. ..........and so the shouting down (as opposed to reasoned debate) of individuals with differing opinions to their own continues. It wont be long now before MLP and Guzzler step in to help SPB stifle any opinion contrary to their own

you guys crack on, i am off to clean my dogs arse - less smell of sh*t there

• Like Like x 5
  8. Novel idea of super- gluing themselves together, first time I have heard of that tactic. The human race has f….d the blue planet anyway so let them get on with it, I’ll be dead soon and consequently don’t give a shit.

9. To frack or not to Frack that is the Question
    Any matelot offeres a frack should firstly consider the following:
    1. Is the female offering the frack truelly Frackable?
    2. Am I liable to catch a dose?
    3. How much will it cost me?
    4 Is it a freebie?
    5. Will she let my opp frack her?

After considering all the above frack her anyway, it would be rude not to:glomp:

• Like Like x 1
  10. I suggest that the science is settled.

11. sgtpepperband

Don't need any help from them or anybody else for that matter. My point in my previous post was that the OP seemed to have an issue with the protesters rather than discussing the pros and cons of fracking. If Handler wanted to discuss the merits of the inherent and legal right to protest then perhaps he would like me to edit the title of the thread accordingly? As it stands, little about the fracking industry has been discussed or debated in this thread.

While I am a believer in looking for alternative safe methods of refining mineral fuels from their earth, I also believe that other renewable energy sources should be considered. Mineral fuels will not last for a long time, that much is obvious. There are a number of safety concerns about the fracking techniques proposed for use in the UK. But I think the underlying agenda with some of the protestors - other than environmental issues - include the double standards demonstrated by the Government to offer tax incentives to fracking companies (yet penalises ordinary, decent members of the public, trying to save money in difficult circumstances) plus the lack of transparency by some Ministers who are advocating the fracking industry - because they happen to have a vested intrerest in those companies by being members of their Boards.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Like Lord Waffle-Waffle of Wafflington said in the upper house, "frack off up North, there are vast desolate unihabited areas up there", or Scotland maybe dodgy stuff is usually trialed there, me I'm with the protesters on this one, if it goes ahead big scale imo it wont provide low cost energy cos if there is a proffit to be made, and if there wasnt there wouldnt be any investment, a profit will be made and it will be the biggest they can get away with.

• Like Like x 3
  13. sgtpepperband

Exactly, Sharkey. There are too many NIMBYs who are prepared to continue wasting energy on unnecessary commodities yet don't consider where the fuel to run those services are coming from. We cannot pick and choose where our mineral resources come from; it is condescending to assume that all fracking sites should be up North - because 'that's where the nasty, grimy Northerners live and they should be grateful of some work' [sic]. Heaven forbid that they find a massive energy fuel site deep in the middle of Parliament Square... :shock:

14. And again in English?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Don't be a twat. You really think that someone's considered objection to a generalised, uninformed criticism of a group of people and his stated position that it is just as well that the court of public opinion is trumped by impartial and learned members of the judiciary is shouting down the OP?
    Grow up!

16. For those that are unsure as to what it entails..Fracking Definition | Investopedia it seems to me one of those situations where you won't know what effect it will have, with reference to tremors etc, until it's been tried. Computer modelling can only go so far.

17. So when you wake up one AM and find your rack is now on the other side of the room'cos of the 45deg angle of the floor, you think, ang on, them protesters maybe had a point.

18. Eh?:scratch:
    I look forward to your critique.