To cheer you up in dreary UK

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by wet_blobby, Feb 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

2. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Looks like Scotland. (Negative penguins).
  3. wet_blobby

Funnily enough there's shite loads of jocks and jock namesakes around here. On the plus side there seems to have been far less interbreeding than in the highlands.
  4. Looks like a warmer version of Norway. When it cools down let me know and I'll join you! :razz:
  5. wet_blobby

The beauty of the south island is that if you took the best bits from say Scotland/Norway/England/Wales/Denmark/Caribbean etc, improved on them and then put them all in one spot you'd end up with this place.

Complete with decent beer, sea air and minimal tourists.
  6. Nice phots, whetting my appetite for April when I shall be in the mountains of South Island for 3 weeks witnessing the majesty for myself.
  7. wet_blobby

8. Trip's already planned. We're taking some guys out trekking in the Southern Alps. The few rest days we've got will be in around Wanaka. Haven't made any solid plans for those days yet, I'll see how hooped I am after 5 or 6 days in the hills. Still, if the place is a good as I've heard it's worth bearing in mind for a later trip.
  9. Oh I don't know, I always seem to hear 'Duelling Banjos' as I enter Ommers :lol: And as for Gore!! :cry:
  10. wet_blobby

Duelling Banjos....I wish, some friggin halfwit has taken to wailing bagpipes around here every morning and evening, I've been out on a couple of stalks but haven't found him yet. Gore, yes failed to mention that. They worship fish down there so be careful. 8)
  11. It gets rather tiresome waking up and looking out the bedroom french windows at the Pacific, then getting up and breathing in some fresh air and listening to the Cicadas chirping away, reading the paper over a Breakfast coffee without RAPE, MURDER, MAYHEM (most of the time) headlines screaming at you and then getting stuck in a 2 minute traffic jam on the way to work takes the F@#%ing biscuit.
    It ain't easy living in NZ you know., but the sheep are friendly! :twisted:
  12. wet_blobby

I know, it's a right twat. I'm sat here now looking out across the Pacific, blue sea, blue sky with the occasional white fluffy cloud now and then. Traffic jam, what's that? the only jam I've seen lately is the stuff you turn your left over home made wine ingredients into. A very pleasant 28 degrees in the back garden, just nice for an end of day beer. :p
  13. Agghhh!! Tell me about it, lucky barstewards with their snow and floods!! They don't know how lucky they are!
  14. wet_blobby

I know, wonderful isn't it. :)
  15. Because any self respecting Kiwi will just pinch what they need :wink:
  16. Pompeyexpat Just got back from South Island stayed in Wanaka for 3 days excellent. Be warned, as our land lady told us, east of the Southern Alps about half a metre of rain a year, west of Alps five to seven metres of rain a year. Milford Sound 300 days rain a year.

BEWARE of natives loads of Ferrel Booties living on South Island. Other than that possibly the best place in the world.

17. My aunt lives in Waverley, just outside Dunedin and I am still yet to manage a visit. One day hopefully and I have some lovely photographs sent over by her of the countryside around their home.

Would be great to be able to call it home one day, but I doubt it will ever happen for the wife and I somehow.
  18. There's no place like home.

Nice pics, but it's boring, dull Uk for me everytime.

British and proud.
  19. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm kind of with you on this. I couldn't agree more that this country has become:
    1. A cesspit.
    2. A laughing stock.
    3. Gone to the dogs in any way you'd care to describe.
    I would love to emigrate, but, there's a part of me that feels like I'm a traitor for walking away and not trying to change it for the better. I'm sure NZB and WB are just as proud of their roots as we are, but I don't think I could leave Dear Old Blighty for good.
  20. If it\was not for family ties back in the UK I would go to NZ tomorrow, assuming of course I met the entry standards to have resident status.

Be warned if you go to NZ, fill in form on plane and in yer go. When it comes to leave it will cost you $25NZ admin fee for each person for your exit visa. No pay no get on big silver bird then get deported on another plane to UK at vast expense. Even more so if like us you were only going to Brisbane.